Swann Outback Camera... as DashCam or just a cam... Purpose, hardware etc questions

BMbler

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Dash Cam
blah
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p92129?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=150727-UK
92129.jpg

being sold for a £69.11 currently. Al-right it uses AA batteries, which is some sort of achievement in a sense as frugile for power consumption it is.
OK, I'm bit concerned about the looks for the usage as DashCam, let alone ActionCam, but you know- "different" sometimes is best! :D

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p92129?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=150727-UK

DESCRIPTION
Integral PIR camera triggers 5 Mega pixel photos or 30fps videos. Day & night vision up to 10m and completely portable to suit outdoor locations. Durable, water-resistant casing operates in most weather conditions & temperatures. Record to 4GB SD card included (up to 32GB SD card can be used). Requires 4x AA batteries 84841, in cold climates use lithium AA batteries.
Swann Helpline: 0808 168 9031.

No real info about internals (I can not find any). What do you think about hardware? worth buying, just for the bits and "invent a bicycle"? or is it just is, what it is for what its meant to be?

Also, having such IR it could be great as SecurityCam too?

Looks to me to be a 'trail cam' versus action or dash cam. Completely different use.

It is indeed a trail camera and would be completely useless as a dash cam for a long list of reasons, not the least of which is that it is almost as big as a shoebox - 8.5 x 8.2 x 4.2 inches.

This type of camera is designed to attach to a tree.

trailcam.jpg

Last edited:
AKA Wildlife camera.
I assume it would also catch any one sneaking around on your property, but the large size and not least as easy as it is to take down is a minus.
Then again many crooks are pretty focussed on the job at hand so they could walk right past it too.

The size, not always crucial and taking in to the account IR sensor and light and batteries inside- don't seem to be that big!
As for security cam, depending on resolution, it could very easily get powered up from mains and converter and fitted somewhere high up or masked as it wasn't a camera.
As it turns out unsure what "Swann" or "Swan" electronics I was looking out info for. Most likely "internals" as some of you say aren't well designed, let alone contemplated as DashCam.... or action Cam.
The purposes, quality demands and features are different, but often are very similar on varied platforms, thanks for the time looking at it anyway!

Swann is well known and reputable "over here". They might be a little bit overpriced in comparisment with exactly the same tech-specs products "unbranded / no-name" ( probably coming from same factory ), but customer service is good. I had good experience via Maplin Ireland. Buy locally !

Back