Swiped by a lorry's arse

irononreverse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only have footage from my rear camera because I'd removed the cabling and front camera in preparation for a new cable and mount position. Bummer.

:eek: Hope the doggy is OK!

Presumably he did stop?

I initially thought he didn't, seeing as he carried on over the roundabout ahead. I picked up the pieces of my wing mirror and turned off the road to check the damage when a nice cyclist came over and told me the guy had stopped.

The doggy is ok, Patrick the starfish caught him. :D

Blimey he totally ****ed that one up! Why did he even change lanes like that?!

Hope it all works out easily for you - with the footage it's obvious he was in the wrong there!!

He wasn't changing lanes, we were up at a roundabout and I guess as he swung around it pulled the back end into my lane.

It's my first accident on the road so I was a bit flustered.

It's my first accident on the road so I was a bit flustered.
I think it would take quite a few accidents to be able to handle being run over by a vehicle that size well! If it's giving you nightmares then make sure you talk about it.

Clearly your not at fault so just let the insurance sort things out, that's what you pay them for. If they offer you a payment instead of a repair then make sure you are happy with what they offer you, you can normally get a more decent offer with very little effort if you reject the first offer with a bit of evidence of replacement cost.

It's not obvious why he made that mistake, not easy to drive something that size but it's something he should be doing every day and understand the risks. Was he new to driving large vehicles or something?

He looked to be about 50-60 so I'd imagine he'd have experience. Must have just been an unlucky day.

The E-prance 0801 does produce a great picture.,doesn't it. Accident not your fault and I'm sure it will dealt with quickly.

Nice of the lassie in the white car to stop and come to help (at least, it looks like that's what she's doing in the footage you've posted). Too many folks would just have driven round you and gone on their way. A useful additional witness in case you need it.

Not sure the front-facing camera would have added much to the story TBH. Makes me think seriously about fitting a camera in my rear window - perhaps my G1W, when I can sort out an 0801 or 0803 for the front (ie get my hands on one that isn't faulty out of the box!)

If you've not got tinted rear windows the A118 would make a great choice for a rear dashcam as well.

Even in the day it's great - it just pushes it beyond it's limits at night.

Hope this incident all worked out ok too for the original poster.

Last edited:
Glad to hear your all okay and hope you managed to get any repairs etc sorted.......

Im with ejstubbs on this one, makes you seriously think about the benefits of a rear camera only I doubt a front facing cam would have helped in this situation, esp if there had been no witnesses.....

Thanks guys, my car is all fixed up now.

I think if my front cam was in action all it would have caught is my wing mirror flying down the road.

Yeah the lady was pretty nice, asked if i was OK and said she tried to catch the number plate of the lorry as it drive off.

It's a shame the mini 0801/0803 don't have a super cap version as I'd like to have them permanently on.

I'm using an 0803 in the front now and the 0801 in the back.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't think you can be found fault free in this instance.

On approaching this roundabout you passed the truck. You knew he was there. Yet you didn't give him any room. You were close to the lane line markings and had plenty of room to your left. Same goes for the lady behind you. That truck was never going to be able to stay within the marked lane. In the middle of the roundabout he would probably have had the trailer cut most of the way across the innermost lane. He was likely watching to ensure cars on his right were giving him room on his right.

Big lesson to be learnt for you here is to provide room enough for trucks to negotiate the road too. Simply don't approach and enter a roundabout alongside long HGV's. Simple.

I'm not certain about UK road rules, but here in Australia semi-trailers and all similarly long vehicles have a sign on the back saying "Do not overtake turning vehicle". And it is an offense to do so which could result in a fine.

Simply adhering to the road rules alone is not good enough. You must also consider your fellow road users needs and abilities too. That's good driving.

No way - the car was stationary and in front of the lorry - by that argument the lorry shouldn't have moved onto the roundabout until the cars in front of him had moved! Besides why wasn't it in the left hand lane if it was going straight on?

If the car was overtaking on the roundabout I'd agree - but it this instance it's parked and the lorry driver caused this of his own accord.

It feels like something was coming which is why the lorry suddenly accelerated like that.

That truck was never going to be able to stay within the marked lane. In the middle of the roundabout he would probably have had the trailer cut most of the way across the innermost lane. He was likely watching to ensure cars on his right were giving him room on his right.
I think our roundabouts are laid out differently to yours, our trucks have a shorter maximum length and we don't have road trains etc. The truck would have had enough room in it's lane all the way around, in the video he doesn't appear to even attempt to stick to the right side of his lane knowing that his trailer would be closer to the left, looks like he forgot he had the trailer. If the truck really did need two lanes then he should have gone down the middle of the two then everyone would have left room for him.

Of course he was fault free. He was staionary after passing the staionary truck prior to the roundabout. What should he do? just stop and allow a massive gap to appear in front of him and well beyond the lorry prior the roundabout?!?

Technically the truck driver was is the wrong. As insurance has also determined. I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying you could have avoided the incident.

But would it hurt to provide some courtesy in such circumstances? Which could have avoided the incident altogether.

Three chicaning lanes entering a roundabout is always going to be fraught with risk.

And yes, stopping at the rear of the trailer would definitely be a good option if you can see the truck is going to need the room and likely to enter the roundabout before you. Would certainly be appreciated by the truck driver and made his day easier!

A little common sense and courtesy goes a looong way.

Years ago I was driving this tipper with a long plant trailer. On the return trip from one job I needed to turn left at a very busy double entry lane roundabout. I didn't feel it appropriate to sit in the middle because the inside lane was getting through much slower than the left turning outside lane. For me to turn left though I had to veer towards the centre of the roundabout then turn left as sharp as I could just missing the small traffic island in the middle of the exit side, taking up all of the two exiting lanes, and even then the trailer tyres would still rub the curb on the apex. There was no way any sizable truck could go through staying in the marked lanes. If I were to do it again I would just take up both lanes, cars be damned.

Point is, staying within marked lanes isn't always possible and some cooperation from other drivers is needed. And very much appreciated when given.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you can be found fault free in this instance.

On approaching this roundabout you passed the truck. You knew he was there. Yet you didn't give him any room. You were close to the lane line markings and had plenty of room to your left. Same goes for the lady behind you. That truck was never going to be able to stay within the marked lane. In the middle of the roundabout he would probably have had the trailer cut most of the way across the innermost lane. He was likely watching to ensure cars on his right were giving him room on his right.

Big lesson to be learnt for you here is to provide room enough for trucks to negotiate the road too. Simply don't approach and enter a roundabout alongside long HGV's. Simple.

I'm not certain about UK road rules, but here in Australia semi-trailers and all similarly long vehicles have a sign on the back saying "Do not overtake turning vehicle". And it is an offense to do so which could result in a fine.

Simply adhering to the road rules alone is not good enough. You must also consider your fellow road users needs and abilities too. That's good driving.

We had new rule changes in recent years regarding trucks like:
If truck is too big for the roundabout then take both lanes to avoid hitting smaller vehicles.
Drivers can go and overtake a truck with DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE signs provided it is safe to do so, like.. if the truck is on a multi-lane road, if the truck is stationary, etc.
Lets not forget...no overtaking unless safe to do so.
As an experienced trucky, I would say the truck in this video is 100% to blame and the OP is 0% to blame. Freeze the footage at 14 seconds and think about it, by you logic the other cars that lined up behind the OP are all doing the wrong thing too.
Now MAYBE the OP was a bit to the right side of his lane more than required and this helped the truck to hit him, still, NO OVERTAKING UNLESS SAFE TO DO SO.

Last edited:
Back