Switched PB input??

carguy4471

Reaction score
Country
United States
For those interested in being able to use a switch to change from vehicle power to PB power. I think this should work.

Attachments

• PB SWITCH.png
    PB SWITCH.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 40
It is best to use a 2 pole switch to switch both 0 volts and 5 volts, then you can safely charge the powerbank while the camera is connected. If you only switch the 5 volts line then you should not attempt to charge the powerbank from the car.

Indeed, this is just for switching power over from the car to the PB.

just get a power bank with pass through charging

This has been much discussed already, but there are few powerbanks which do this, and with them the charging time is excessive when the load of the cam is figured in and applied. There are some simple answers to this issue (such as the Cellink) but so far all have some serious drawbacks or limitations. We're not there yet though it IS possible.

Phil

Here is my automatic switching device I put together. Switches from cars power to power bank power when car is turned off.

Attachments

• IMG_1884.JPG
    IMG_1884.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 8
just get a power bank with pass through charging
Just getting a power bank with Pass through charging will not work... the power will flow through the power bank to the dash cam and as a result the power bank will never get charged. I think there are only a couple out there that will charge at the same time as passing through power... they have to be a usb-c power bank I believe.

Here is my automatic switching device I put together. Switches from cars power to power bank power when car is turned off.
Can you chain them, so have it switch from car power to powerbank1 and then to powerbank2 automatically without any loss of power?

Can you chain them, so have it switch from car power to powerbank1 and then to powerbank2 automatically without any loss of power?
yes, thats actually how I have mine hooked up right now. I have one input from the car and the other input from a power bank that is chained to another power bank.

The main power bank I am using is a fast charging USB-C PD input power bank (this is the only way they will charge fast enough, minimum 30w charging input), then the output goes to another power bank I have and then that goes to the input of my device. So basically when the car is off the dash cam will take power from one power bank and then if that runs out of juice it will pull from the other power bank. From my testing so far, in order for the way I have the power banks connected together to work, they have to support pass through charging, so while the car is running it will charge both power banks.
But otherwise just one good USB-C PD power bank will do just fine.

and as far as connecting two of my devices together ... In theory it should work, but I haven't tried it yet.

Back