Tacoma almost took me out this morning driving to work.

I am going to stop by on my way home and if he is still there I will help.

I am sure since the truck didn't flip or catch on fire his seatbelt and airbag saved him.

He drove off regardless by the looks of that video and his reply...

Daum. :eek: That guy got a sudden urge to pull over.

Look like some kind of malfunction at the Left front tire.

And judging by the state of some Americans Vehicles as seen on videos by mechanics, well no wonder.
Also i know it was largely the same here at one time, so "them" instigating the biannual inspection of cars, probably not a bad idea.

To the
I’m glad your truck didn’t get hit. Did you consider stopping and calling 911? I doubt he was able to and there weren’t many other cars on the road from the looks of things.
I did consider it but it would take a much harder impact than that to incapacitate someone. It looks much worse than it was. After all what he hit was a street sign.

Paul Iddon

He drove off regardless by the looks of that video and his reply...

You are correct. If it would have been a more serious crash things would have been different. Now I am sure you may be young and like most so called men today can't hammer two boards together but that crash looks worse on camera than it actually was. In fact I would be surprised if the airbag was deployed. He hit a street sign which took most of the impact as it bent over.

I'll look out in the Dallas Times for the story of a Tacoma driver maimed and left for dead ;)

LOL, if I ever found out he was hurt or dead I would feel bad but like I said I bet there wasn't enough impact hiting that street sign that bent over to even deploy the airbag. Trust me that he is fine. He is more pissed off that he jacked his truck all up than he is hurt.

I did consider it but it would take a much harder impact than that to incapacitate someone. It looks much worse than it was. After all what he hit was a street sign.

You seem to be basing your conclusion on after the fact viewing of the video but I don't think you could make an evaluation like that from what you might have seen in your rear view mirror at the time. You have no way of really knowing how bad it was for the driver but the fact is that the Tacoma came to a very sudden and abrupt stop regardless of what he hit. You also have no way of knowing who was driving in regard to the age or health of the driver before the accident.

You seem awfully glib about what happened yet somehow I think you'd feel different if the situation were reversed and you were the victim in an accident like that while someone else drove away and left you to fend for yourself with nobody else around at that time of day. I believe most people would at least stop to make sure the guy was okay and lend assistance if needed.

You seem to be basing your conclusion on after the fact viewing of the video but I don't think you could make an evaluation like that from what you might have seen in your rear view mirror at the time. You have no way of really knowing how bad it was for the driver but the fact is that the Tacoma came to a very sudden and abrupt stop regardless of what he hit. You also have no way of knowing who was driving in regard to the age or health of the driver before the accident.

You seem awfully glib about what happened yet somehow I think you'd feel different if the situation were reversed and you were the victim in an accident like that while someone else drove away and left you to fend for yourself with nobody else around at that time of day. I believe most people would at least stop to make sure the guy was okay and lend assistance if needed.
Actually, you are wrong on all your conclusions. I did ask myself would I want someone to stop in this same exact situation and I can say absolutely not, I would have already been feeling like a dip**** and wouldn't have wanted to face anyone. All I would have wanted was to get the tow truck there as quick as possible and get it loaded up. And yes, I watched the entire thing happen in real life and knew the impact was not that bad once I seen he missed the light post and only hit the street sign.

I would have already been feeling like a dip**** and wouldn't have wanted to face anyone.
Assuming you were not injured, unconscious and could communicate with anyone, which is something you have no way of knowing,

I get it, you seem to revel in being callous and unconcerned about others who appear to need help in an emergency. As for feeling like a "dip**** ", the accident doesn't appear to be self inflicted and instead was obviously some sort of mechanical failure so most people would not feel that way, even if someone like you would. Unlike you, I believe most people under those circumstances would appreciate someone stopping to check to see if they were ok and needed help as they might have an injury more serious than a bruised ego.

Last edited:
Hindsight is always 20/20.
Monday morning armchair quarterback always has a perfect score.
I’m sorry to jump on this dog-pile against @737mechanic but this is a bad case of Schadenfreude, and not in a good way.

911 Operator: 911 What’s your emergency?
737mechanic: Some guy lost control of his Gray Toyota Tacoma at 50mph, and slammed into a telephone pole coming to a complete stop on Main Street & 1st Avenue. I’m late for work bye.

This phone call would have taken less than 30 seconds to complete, and you still would’ve made it to your first pre-work morning cup of coffee. You’ve probably passed this guy hundreds of times coming, and going from work. That guy was literally your neighbor.

You spent more time, and effort downloading these clips, editing them together, and uploading it to YouTube, and posting it on DCT than you did helping a fellow motorist that would have cost you nothing. You even posted an Amazon Affiliate link to purchase a Viofo A129 Pro in the description box of your YouTube video to make a buck off this guy’s misfortune.
-Chuck

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07RXQJ148

He hit the light post. The front near side wheel was already bouncing down the road before he got to the street sign. Try a freeze frame and you'll see the initial impact point.

I'll have to pile on with everyone criticizing the OP's unwillingness to stop.
1. Hitting a utility pole at approx 45mph based on the dashcam OSD wouldn't be considered a minor impact.
2. Most people also don't consider the possibility of the driver having a medical emergency that led to the crash, as opposed to dozing off or being distracted.

As I have already said the utility pole did NOT stop him, he simply grazed the pole and hit the freaking temporary street sign. Obviously, you guys are unable to determine that from the video but since I was there I could clearly see he barely missed the pole and hit the street sign. I went and took the following pictures then I figured I would go to both of the main towing companies in Rowlett which are Cathey Towing and Lindy towing. Lindy towing had the truck and I asked to take pictures but since I wasn't the owner or insurance company they wouldn't let me, I was able to see the front, and the left fender was peeled back, the bumper was slightly bent, the grill was missing which you can see they left it at the crash site. The left wheel assembly was gone and it was sitting on the lower control arm. The worse part was the peeled-back fender. After telling them what happened they told me that the owner was who called them and he was perfectly fine and he wasn't sure what happened. So here are the pictures. BTW the airbag did NOT deploy and when I passed him he was doing 40 so after the wheel snapped off and his suspension was dragging the ground I would be surprised if he was going any faster than 25 to 30.

Attachments

• 20230219_144155.jpg
    20230219_144155.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230219_144203.jpg
    20230219_144203.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230219_144250.jpg
    20230219_144250.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230219_144327.jpg
    20230219_144327.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230219_144413.jpg
    20230219_144413.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Despite your "investigation" the bottom line here is that you had no way to accurately ascertain what happened to the driver while witnessing the accident as it receded in your rear view mirror as you drove away in the dark and so anything you've concluded after the fact is irrelevant. You were just speculating that he was "probably" ok. Nobody here has suggested 100 percent certainty about anything but that's why the vast majority of people in your situation would have either stopped to find out if the driver was ok or called 911to report the accident on their way to work. With or without a serious injury the guy was going to need assistance either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back