Taking the plunge on a G1W...

Byr0n

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius (Super Cap)
I'm finally decided to go for a G1W dash cam, been looking at various cams all week and this one keeps coming up better. It was always going to be between this and a Mobius but cannot justify the extra £10 for a camera with same reviews (plus this one has a screen which i feel is required personally)

Any last comments that may sway my decision? :)

Any last comments that may sway my decision? :)
Not really to sway as I am a G1W user, but just make sure you get it from a trusted seller that sells one with the Novatek 96650 of course.

Not really to sway as I am a G1W user, but just make sure you get it from a trusted seller that sells one with the Novatek 96650 of course.

Also, how long you had yours?

My only comment is adding to what Checkyourlights said. The G1w is good, just more of a crap shoot when it comes to quality and customer service. There are a lot of reports here of people getting fakes and bad customer service. You never hear about a fake Mobius. Only retailers that prove they get them from the manufacturer and have good customer service make the authorized list, so it's easy to buy. The Mobius is also put together better, has better reliabilty, customer service and proven continued improvements.

In the end it's what you feel works for you. Between the two, which appeals to you more? Do you prefer small without a screen or large with a screen?

Also, how long you had yours?
Since October of last year and it still works great. Had a SanDisk card issue changed to Transcend and have not had any issues since.

uploadfromtaptalk1393610456206.jpg
G1W check in

My only comment is adding to what Checkyourlights said. The G1w is good, just more of a crap shoot when it comes to quality and customer service. There are a lot of reports here of people getting fakes and bad customer service. You never hear about a fake Mobius. Only retailers that prove they get them from the manufacturer and have good customer service make the authorized list, so it's easy to buy. The Mobius is also put together better, has better reliabilty, customer service and proven continued improvements.

In the end it's what you feel works for you. Between the two, which appeals to you more? Do you prefer small without a screen or large with a screen?

Thanks for your reply.

The only doubt I have with the mobius is the lack of facilities to update the firmware and configuration of the settings.

I only have an iMac at home and have been told the GUI is only Windows based, is this correct?

Thanks for your reply.

The only doubt I have with the mobius is the lack of facilities to update the firmware and configuration of the settings.

I only have an iMac at home and have been told the GUI is only Windows based, is this correct?
There is a Mac GUI and as Techmoan showed on his Mac the txt file works as easily ( .www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/the-mobius-camera-the-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html ) Funny the one thing I like is the many ways to adjust settings on the Mobius. When I'm away from my computer, I use my Android tablet or phone.

We aren't trying to sway you one way or another. Both are good cameras with many happy users. As I said it depends on you. You have owners of both here, so any non opinion questions we can answer to help so you can buy eyes wide open.

IWe aren't trying to sway you one way or another. Both are good cameras with many happy users. As I said it depends on you. You have owners of both here, so any non opinion questions we can answer to help so you can buy eyes wide open.
Same here if the other camera fits your needs better it's all about having choice with what your needs are and what your budget allows

I got a G1W in December and im impressed so far, its very good quality video for the price.

only problem I have is that it causes interference with my FM radio. not everyone seems to have this issue though but i'm trying to get my seller from ebay to send me a new adapter. I tried ferrite cores, one on the camera en and one on the charger end and it helped a bit but I still get interference on some stations.

other than that its good :) just a shame I have one that has this issue.

To date, my G1W has done 200hours, 30 mins (4weeks) & not had any problems. Even the suction cup holds on the black dimpled sunscreen bit.
I suppose, if I were nitpicking, the audio is a bit 'wavy' - it gets louder then quieter but then again, for a cheap cam I figure it's a tradeoff.
Half the price of my DR32 and a far superior cam from the off.

Hmmm.. You have me thinking again. The firmware updates and continued support from the manufacturer do make the Mobius tempting..

Plus now the seller of the G1W have added a postage fee it's only £8-£9 more

Random question, would a 16GB class 4 Kingston card be ok in the Mobius? I'd have it set up for loop record, so a 32GB would not be beneficial. Reason I'm asking as this is where I could make up additional cost saving as I have one already, saves me having to buy another card.

Hmmm.. You have me thinking again. The firmware updates and continued support from the manufacturer do make the Mobius tempting..

Plus now the seller of the G1W have added a postage fee it's only £8-£9 more

Random question, would a 16GB class 4 Kingston card be ok in the Mobius? I'd have it set up for loop record, so a 32GB would not be beneficial. Reason I'm asking as this is where I could make up additional cost saving as I have one already, saves me having to buy another card.
As Russ mentioned in a previous post, 16gB gives about 3 hours of footage. Class 4 works fine, no need to upgrade to Class 10. There is no advantage.

If you want, you could also head over to the Support thread, there is a ton of info and reading on the Mobius.

Your card should be fine for the möbius, probably only around 2 hours of video before it starts looping so as long as you're ok with that

...would a 16GB class 4 Kingston card be ok in the Mobius? I'd have it set up for loop record, so a 32GB would not be beneficial. Reason I'm asking as this is where I could make up additional cost saving as I have one already, saves me having to buy another card.

I've used an 8Gb unbranded 3 year old Class 4, & a new SanDisk 16Gb Class 4 in mine. Both work equally well. Class 4 cards are recommended for Mobius in preference to Class 10, which should work but offer no advantage.

So yes, a 16GB class 4 Kingston card should be ideal for a Mobius.

Welcome to DashCamTalk!

International help in a matter of minutes.

Service with a :D

Your card should be fine for the möbius, probably only around 2 hours of video before it starts looping so as long as you're ok with that

Nearly 2 hours at High bitrate or nearly 3 hours at Medium bitrate. Personally, I cannot see any difference in video quality between Medium or High bitrate, so mine is set to Medium.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A G1WX 37
Back