Taxi cuts me off! Right turn from left lane

M---

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A118C
Taxi's in the left lane, left blinker on. Then flips the right blinker, slams on brakes, and swings across me. It's closer than it looks on the video-- I slammed my brakes on very hard. You can hear everything in my car shift, and my library books fall to the floor. =(

sounds like you were maybe listening to Groove Salad. strange how well the camera picked up the bass line of the music.

also sounds like it scared a kid in your back seat. my 2-year old son thinks it's funny when i have to slam on the brakes to avoid stuff. he says "ERRRRRT!" and laughs... and does it over and over. :)

It was past my daughter's naptime, so she wasn't in her usual jovial mood. She probably noticed me reacting, and had to say something. (she always has to say something. ALWAYS. Silent moments are rare!)

What's wrong with these cab drives? They must have the same mutant gene. That's what exactly happened to me in Manhattan. I was in the right lane and a Taxi Cab all the way from the left lane, without signaling to turn cut right in front of me to make a right turn. Did not have a dash cam then.

It was past my daughter's naptime, so she wasn't in her usual jovial mood. She probably noticed me reacting, and had to say something. (she always has to say something. ALWAYS. Silent moments are rare!)
little kids are funny like that, especially when they're trying to keep themselves awake. my daughter started talking abour 1 yr old.... and shows no signs of stopping any time soon. even when she's chewing her food, she has to make some sort of noise...

also thanks for the song link. if you like that, you'll probably also like most of the stuff they play on groove salad (linked in my post, above). only problem with it is that it's an internet streaming station, so depending on whether you like to stream music from your phone (and have the data for it) you might not be able to listen to it in the car. as far as i know, it's not limited to US only.

Yeah, I used to listen to Groove Salad a lot, back in the days before my first iDevice. Since then, iTunes (and whatever's on my phone/iPod) have taken over as my primary music supply.

And yep, GS is available in Canada! These days I'm on a somewhat-obscure cell provider (Wind Mobile). Their service is dirt cheap (unlimited talk/data/text, unlimited long distance in Canada, voicemail, etc. for $35/mo), but it comes with the rather unfortunate downside that their service has a lot of dead spots. In the dead spots, my phone fails over onto another carrier's network, but airtime and data are extras at that point, so I have roaming data disabled.

As an aside, my car is only wired for 30-pin Apple devices, so my current Android phone wouldn't work anyway. I have my 2005-vintage iPod providing music in the car. I could rewire the adapter to take a headphone jack input (pull the stereo, change the wire, fiddle with some dip switches), but then I'd have to fiddle with the phone everytime I get in, so .... meh. I can't be bothered.

Thinking about it, I've got a spare Bluetooth audio receiver that plugs into the Apple 30-pin. If my phone can connect to both the BT audio receiver (for music) and the car's built in BT receiver (telephone only) simultaneously, then it'd work without me having to fiddle with cables everytime.

if your add-on bt adapter only shows up as an a2dp (streaming audio) device and not also as a headset/phone, you should be good. android can pair to multiple bt devices as long as there arent any duplicated functions. i have connected to my bt obd-ii and stereo at the same time without issue.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to look for it when I get home!

As an aside, another option is to buy somebody's old/broken iPod Touch or iPhone, plug that into the 30-pin, and set up the Wifi tether on my Android phone. The iDevice would connect to my phone whenever I get into the car.... Only problem is how to buy a used, non-stolen, iDevice. Then I could even use one of the apps that I miss from my iPhone.

My favourite app for my commute was "Lisgo." It picks up news articles from my Pocket account (getpocket.com), and reads them out loud in the car. It was awesome. But iOS only. Pocket on Android has text to speech built-in, but mind bogglingly, it stops at the end of the article, requiring manual intervention before progressing to the next article. Which means that I need to manhandle the phone. Which I can't do while driving (unsafe!) or even at a red light (that's where the cops wait to catch you using a phone! 3 demerit points, too!)

Ugh... idiots.
Taxi / cabbies are renown for committing various problems on the road.

Btw, nice music :))

Back