telephoto/zoom lens

astigto

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been adjusting focus on the main camera and been successful and satisfied with the result so far. Since I upgraded to DR900X plus, I'm planning to replace the lens with a telephoto one in my DR750S. Has anyone tried this? How to find the right fit and appropriate focal length of the lens.

I think you need to look at something like alibaba for that sort of thing. It might be that a telephto lens would mean mounting the camera lower down the windscreen. You would also have to dismantle the camera to remove the original lens, there are teardown videos available for this model. The perspective would be lost with a telephoto lens and the side to side movements of the car would be over exaggerated. Also telephoto lens' have smaller maximum apertures so the quality will drop.
Anyway, an interesting idea, perhaps thinking of a front dual lens system cheaper than 4k might have something in it, 4k can be enlarged with reasonable results. In general though there is a good reason why dashcam lenses are wide angle.

from the depths of my grey goo storage, i dont recall any blackvue owners being creative with lenses.

As the design of the BV cameras and the way they mount, the lens are fairly close to the glass, but none the less i do think you can go a little longer if need be, length dont necessary mean more zoom, the 12 mm lens i use are quire normal compared to dashcam lenses in general.
8 mm lenses seem to be the most popular, the 12 mm i use for sure in the high end of the spectrum.

First of all you of course want a lens that fit your sensor size, if not you might get some problems in the corners.
Second you of course want a lens with a IR cut filter, you often run into lenses that are meant for CCTV use and these have a active IR cut filter in their mount
Third you of course want a lens that can match the pixel count of your sensor,,,,, or higher, it is easy to run into dirt cheap lenses, these are a no go, on the other side of the spectrum you can run into lenses that alone cost the same as your dashcam, again you do not need to go there either.
Also you want a lens that let a lot of light thru, this mean a low F number, something like 1.2 or there about, F2.0 are in the high end of the spectrum.

Back