That's a bird you don't want to hit

proliance

Reaction score
Country
United States
Turkey vulture, from wikipedia: A large bird, it has a wingspan of 160–183 cm (63–72 in), a length of 62–81 cm (24–32 in), and weight of 0.8 to 2.3 kg (1.8 to 5.1 lb) Very common birds here in Tennessee. They are protected as migratory birds and are often seen on the side of the road eating animals struck by cars.

Also dont want it flying over your car or you after it has had a big meal of roadkill! ;)

HA! Funny thing. On my latest "Live Free or Die" post, one of them darn turkey vultures had swooped down in front of me headed for some roadkill. It happened about 1/4 before the pick up backs in front of me and I was going to include it, but it happens so fast I didn't think it was worth the post. I formatted the card since then. Thanks for sharing.

Vultures are disgusting-looking birds up close. I was driving a country road once in my miata and came upon 2-3 of them feasting on some roadkill. they didn't get out of the way so i was forced to drive with 2 tires in the grass to go around them. as i did, one of them stood up all the way and was able to look DOWN into my car at me.

NASTY birds. ugh.

i'd rather deal with the calves i encountered on another drive. they'd broken out through a hole in the fence, and were circling dumbly in the middle of the road - they were probably thinking, "YAY We're free! ...now what?" they would only look at me real slow when i honked the horn or revved the engine, and same for the lincoln town car blocked by them going the other direction... i slowly rolled the car forward and gently bumped one of the calves (yes, with my car - hey, my miata is barely bigger than the calves!) to get his attention. his eyes got big but he got out of the way, and the rest of the calves got the idea and moved as well.

too bad this was before dashcams were in much use.

Back