There is something wrong with my SGGCCPL Circular Polarizing ( CPL ) Lens Filter.

HunkyWunky

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made a pre-order with @Pier28 . It came in a perfect condition.
I attached it and forget it.

Recently, I have just had a chance to take my dashcam down to update the firmware. and I found out that there is a problem with the CPL Filter.1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

It looks like the layers of the lens became separate from each other.

Do we have any ways to fix it? Or, I need to buy the new one?

Merry Christmas, Everyone

Its a multi-layers cpl glass. Not sure what might cause it, never saw this before, but I am sure @Pier28 will sort this out for you.

That's odd, no other reports of this yet. I'll take care of you and make sure you get a replacement pronto. Please check your private message inbox so I can get your details.

It has been exposed to sun light during the days.
But, I am living in south-bay California. the weather here (after I received this CPL ) is quite nice, not as hot as summer. Therefore, I do not think that the heat caused the problem.

Happy Holiday, Everyone!

Update:
After a short conversation with Jon @Pier28 , he will send me the replacement. (It is 1 a.m. now ... I don't know what else I could expect from this level of customer support).
So, I voted him for the best support.

Last edited:
It has been exposed to sun light during the days.
But, I am living in south-bay California. the weather here (after I received this CPL ) is quite nice, not as hot as summer. Therefore, I do not think that the heat caused the problem.

Happy Holiday, Everyone!

unlikely to be anything to do with heat, I've had them in far hotter situations the last few months without issue, perhaps just a material fault

unlikely to be anything to do with heat, I've had them in far hotter situations the last few months without issue

Just went out and checked mine. We have had a week of 40c+ days here in Adelaide. Still like brand new. My car lives in the sun.

First time I see that. I do not understand what can cause this problem, sorry

Obviously, the lens cement that binds the different glass layers has failed. Either the cement was improperly applied during fabrication or the UV light that is used to cure the glue didn't cure the adhesive evenly. This can happen because the liquid adhesive shrinks during the cure and if that happens unevenly it can pull away from the glass.

The failure appears to be #1.

1. Adhesive failure occurs when the cement separates from the glass surface. It is seen as a shiny area in reflected light. It can be any shape and can be identified by the presence of Newton rings, or a color fringe.

2. Cohesive failure occurs when the cement pulls away from itself. This can be identified by the fern-like voids, called feathering, appearing along the edge of the lens or sometimes in the interior.

There might be a slim chance it is fungus on the lens. Can you see a spidery 'veins' pattern?

5530026819_4a753732fe_b.jpg

The OP's photos are definitely NOT fungus. They reveal the characteristic rainbow interference pattern of Newton Rings, as mentioned earlier under "adhesive failure".

Also, fungus generally does not form on filters.

The problem with fungal growth in camera lenses occurs because moisture has penetrated the spaces between lens elements inside a lens barrel where the trapped humidity, temperature and darkness create the ideal conditions for mold spores to grow. For this reason, fungus always occurs during periods of long term lens storage. For the same reasons, fungus is highly unlikely to form on a camera filter, especially a filter that lives in the bright, sunlit, moving air environment of an automobile windshield.

Last edited:
Back