ThiEYE Safeel One - A Thieye Dashcam?

DrekiTech

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A129
Was on their site to update the firmware on my T5 Edge and noticed this: http://www.thieye.com/features_safeel_one.html

It looks like thieye is releasing a dashcam. Different styling than most dashcams I've seen before. I don't care for the look myself - too obvious that it's a camera. But I guess I'm not the target market.

Thoughts?

1296P 30pfs

Why use Safeel 1 over Thieye E7 or Edge? Reliability? Low light performance?

I have had an issue with E7 turning off randomly....however it was recording at 4k@30fps...

Why use Safeel 1 over Thieye E7 or Edge? Reliability? Low light performance?

I have had an issue with E7 turning off randomly....however it was recording at 4k@30fps...
What f/w is your E7? Mine is original with Sunco UI that I prefer. Been told newer f/w changes to T5 EDGE UI.
New f/w [TI/UN78-180419-V5.1] for E7 just out too. LINK
The Safeel is a lot smaller, LCD screen 1 1/2" wide gives an idea. Low light seems very good from reports and their videos.
Older 1080p30 NT96655 variant NT96658 Soc restricts resolution but pushed to 1728×1296P30 good enough.
Also has G Sensor but not sure what they use to do this?

I see that the Safeel One has colour and B&W night vision options. However looking at their sample video, B&W doesn't appear to offer any benefit over the colour version :unsure:
http://www.thieye.com/videos/nighttime.mp4
One thing in B/W the number plates are all B/W where it is sort of handy to tell police the number plate was BLUE for example. Not sure if it matters ... but?
Full day/night vid

One thing in B/W the number plates are all B/W where it is sort of handy to tell police the number plate was BLUE for example. Not sure if it matters ... but?
Full day/night vid
Same applies to the colour of the cars too.

Done well B&W should be able to give better details and less noise at night. But if it's simply a mono conversion from a colour sensor then there's probably very little benefit.

What f/w is your E7? Mine is original with Sunco UI that I prefer. Been told newer f/w changes to T5 EDGE UI.
New f/w [TI/UN78-180419-V5.1] for E7 just out too. LINK
The Safeel is a lot smaller, LCD screen 1 1/2" wide gives an idea. Low light seems very good from reports and their videos.
Older 1080p30 NT96655 variant NT96658 Soc restricts resolution but pushed to 1728×1296P30 good enough.
Also has G Sensor but not sure what they use to do this?

I upgraded to newest firmware for E7 and daytime performance is great however night time performance is weak. It is actually quite similar to Yi 4k+ which I have also tested as dashcam. Both outperformed ELE Explorer K which gets hot and loses focus while shooting in 4k or 2k.

I have A307 dashcam which has great quality for 1080 with its 96658 soc and 323 sensor. My 0806 mini from 2015 just about outperforms all except A307 which is sad considering Yi4k+ has bitrate several multiples of the other, including 60mbps of E7.

I upgraded to newest firmware for E7 and daytime performance is great however night time performance is weak. It is actually quite similar to Yi 4k+ which I have also tested as dashcam. Both outperformed ELE Explorer K which gets hot and loses focus while shooting in 4k or 2k.

I have A307 dashcam which has great quality for 1080 with its 96658 soc and 323 sensor. My 0806 mini from 2015 just about outperforms all except A307 which is sad considering Yi4k+ has bitrate several multiples of the other, including 60mbps of E7.
Yes NT90658 used more in dashcams where I first noticed it. Mine is old ION Adventure and uses dual SDcard has GPS etc for back a few years is still very good too.
E7 at night is terrible I agree. Not even close to T5e. Day is good but I'm using original f/w as I like UI menu. No H265 which is odd as Vikcam V50 has the option in menu.

EDIT: The firmware for E7 has been change to T5 EDGE with a few edits like [Maker Name = E7] rather than do 2 full f/w upgrades!!!. E7 now has SAME UI as T5 EDGE :cautious:May explain the much better E7 night videos posted on YouTube than mine too.

Last edited:
I actually thought about getting T5e too. The Sony IMX178 sensor with Ambaralla A12S(75) soc will most likely produce better results just looking at the paper stats. Not sure why ThiEye went backwards with its components...Would have been nice to have Novatek SOC and a newer Sony sensor like Yi.

ThiEye E7 now has a new bug where if you plug the camera into computer/laptop to charge or to offload files, the camera crashes and none of the buttons work. I had to pull the battery and disconnect camera from computer each time to turn it off. Quite disappointing. Looking back, I probably should have got MGCOOL Explorer 3 instead.

I actually thought about getting T5e too. The Sony IMX178 sensor with Ambaralla A12S(75) soc will most likely produce better results just looking at the paper stats. Not sure why ThiEye went backwards with its components...Would have been nice to have Novatek SOC and a newer Sony sensor like Yi.

ThiEye E7 now has a new bug where if you plug the camera into computer/laptop to charge or to offload files, the camera crashes and none of the buttons work. I had to pull the battery and disconnect camera from computer each time to turn it off. Quite disappointing. Looking back, I probably should have got MGCOOL Explorer 3 instead.
ThiEYE T5e has an IMX117 12.4MP sensor not older 6.4MP IMX178 sensor.
Yes it is annoying. Had similar problems with T5e as well. Also computer now doesn't recognise any AMBARELLA based camera (A12S75 and A7S75 SoC) connected via USB and have to take the SDcard out of the damn cameras every time I wan to download or preview! E7 is OK thankfully different iCatch chipset.
Elephone/MGCool not had this particular problem (Novatek NT96660 based cams) but have had them "crash" while recording and can't stop because buttons don't work and white screen Had to take battery out each crash.
Seems bugs everywhere with these cams and now bugs with E7 which I just bought. report problem to Thieye support and they will revise firmware hopefully.

New firmware for ThiEYE E7 LINK HERE
NOTE - This is the revised release of E7-TI_UN8-180402v5.0

EDIT - Seems version TI/UN78-180419-V5.1 has been deleted for E7 and T5 EDGE?

Last edited:
Full day/night vid
This is an official video? This video is showing us that the creators of this dashcam knows nothing about dashcam world. Somebody just assembled some parts in a case and named it dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

This is an official video? This video is showing us that the creators of this dashcam knows nothing about dashcam world. Somebody just assembled some parts in a case and named it dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz
Pretty much an action cam in loop mode but with no options. No GPS but has a shock sensor. Novatek 96658 is more a dashcam version in the Novatek SoC range but that's about it.
Now comes the follow up Safeel 3 which is much the same but they've added an Action Cam menu LOL

Reactions: Mtz
I had the camera, and managed to get access to the firmware of the OEM they got it from.
The biggest problem is lack of ability to control the IR filter cut off. It just jumps all the time from removal of the filter (it's actual, you hear it), and then comes back - I was unable to disable it. I would have kept it if I had the ability to lock the darn filter. Shame - it was brilliant at night. Audio was horrible, by the way, way worse than my other dash camera. Tried to play around with the firmware using suggestion given by others but was unable to change the bitrate, sample rate or the method of encoding.

Real shame - with the right firmware this little thing would have been a real gift!!!

Back