Think the Thinkware is on it's way out.

WeedeaterDM

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Starting a collection
Been getting more and more glitches popping up with my F770. With being in service for a little over three years, I can sort of understand. One of the glitches happened during my accident almost a year ago, it stopped recording at impact for a few seconds. The most common problem is the camera randomely turns itself on when the car is parked and already below the voltage shut off in the camera. Last weekend the car was parked for over 12 hours, the camera turned on at 3:30 am and continued recording till 10am when I removed the card for getting some videos from. The real surprise was when I saw that it deleted all the other videos that were already on there. The 256gb card will hold about 14 hours of video, there was only the 6.5 hours from the self turn on.

My current plan is to continue running that camera and placing one of my side view SG X2 cameras next to it full time. The side view cameras will be replaced with the new SG DR eventually.

Dang it, just burned my SPAM.

My hunch here is the memory card. I tried a 256gb out of curiosity a couple of years ago and it did not work well. For a start in the first filling of the card worked fine and then it would only overwrite half of the memory card. This model is not designed for that size card. 64gb max officially but it did also work fine with a genuine Thinkware 128gb card.

I have had many cameras returned for testing with similar issues in the past and I would honestly say at least 9/10 have been non gen card issues.

The memory card is always the first thing I check because it is normally the problem with many cameras. I kept my tiny and very over priced factory Thinkware card for a backup. It does the same random boot up when the car sits. Most of the time it just boots long enough to record one or two video segments. That last weekend was the only time it has stayed on for hours. I also intentionally kept the older firmware so I could run other branded cards, too many people complain they couldn't use the cards they were using after a firmware update. Yet it is still picky what ones I do use. I have been using the Sandisk Ultra A1 since its release and have not had any problems with the camera till my accident. The random boot ups are something more recent and normally happen around the same time of the day, between 12 and 1 pm. My car sits from 6:30 am to 4 pm. The 3:30 am boot was out of the norm.

I have tried other cards with similar results as yours. I even had one card cause 1 second long videos every other file starting at 3/4 capacity, that one I suspect wasn't fast enough. It's now in one of my SG X2 cameras and not a single problem shows up.

Back