Thinkware Dashcam Viewer for PC or MAC - What extra features?

Maddog1974

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware U3000 2ch, T700 Front & Internal IR
I see a few things saying the Thinkware Dashcam Viewer for PC or MAC is a bit basic. I was just wondering what extra features it was lacking?

Give me your thoughts please and i will pass them on to Thinkware, i can't promise anything but thought this is a good place to start!

My first thought is a 'frame by frame' button

Frame by frame button (like the feature on VLC player) would be very handy and a suggestion I made too.

I would also like for the player to have an ability to either slow down the playback speed, or to automatically identify and play the time-lapse videos at the 'per-second' speed (so that it makes more sense, rather than watching everything whiz past at high speed). Also handy would be to have the ability to save those time-lapse videos at that 'per-second' speed, which would, again, be very handy if sending them to insurance companies etc.

Other things like maybe blur reduction, better zooming function, etc - Anything that can assist in registration plate recognition and clarification at distance.

That is all I can think of for now, hope it helps.

For the motion detection files... it would be nice if there was a thumbnail gallery that captures the most critical part of the 'motion detected moment'. This would assist users to quickly skim through their motion detected files and see which files they might want to review based on if the motion detection was tripped by people walking near the car or other cars driving by. Right now I don't even use the app. I just copy and paste the files onto my external hdd. I have my folders in thumbnail gallery mode and most of my thumbnails for the videos look the same since the Thinkware captures a videos a few seconds before the motion detection. Right now I would have to view each file and wait to see what tripped the motion detection in the video file. It would be so nice if I can quickly skim all the important snapshot images of the video files and choose which file I would like to watch.

In addition, It would be nice to get a text message / E-Mail of image snapshots from the motion detection feature (similiar technology to the NEST home cameras). I would then buy a third camera to have it focus mainly inside the cabin and have it setup in a manner where the motion detection will trip if someone walks close to my windows or look into my car. Thinkware should develop a security type in cabin dash cam with these features. A lot of people buying dashcams now a days need them for security purposes; especially people with an expensive sound system. Heck, I'd like a dashcam that only turns on and work on motion detection when the car is in parking mode so I can install a dash cam inside of my Camry's Trunk.

sorry. I digressed.

Last edited:
Last edited:
btw can we do the same for features on the actual camera? (though I highly doubt TW gives a sh*t about what we want)

Combining and cutting video files and removing audio without quality loss (like you can do with AVIDemuxer)

Hi there,

I have a Q800 pro 2 channel wired in my BMW.

I'm trying to view my recordings via my MacBook Pro 16" Catalina via the SD in the supplied USB stick. The Thinkware Dashcam viewer reads the SD card with no issues _but_ I cannot play the videos on the app.

If I do double click a video, it saves the video on my Mac's drive.

I've installed VLC.. any ideas?

Back