Thinkware F50 vs A119

Bitrate info attached.
I also talked to the Supplier and their view is that the video quality is about what it should be.

Interesting point was that the comment was made that the F50 & F770 video components are about the same - you pay extra for the feature set not video quality.
They missed a chance to upsell here!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 57
Bitrate info attached.

fairly high for a Korean camera

I also talked to the Supplier and their view is that the video quality is about what it should be.

looks as expected

Interesting point was that the comment was made that the F50 & F770 video components are about the same - you pay extra for the feature set not video quality.
They missed a chance to upsell here!

you would have been disappointed though if they told you it was better and you paid more to get the same video, they at least did you a favour in being honest about it

Right....the solution to my problem of deciding was to order both!! I will see which of the two will make the best install and go with that and return the one i dont want. Ordered the A119 from amazon (spytec but fulfilled by amazon) and the f50 from thinkware uk.

Interested in seeing which one you keep.

Thought of doing that myself. I really like the Parking Mode on the F50, with the buffered video.

I purchased and am playing with the A119, but tempted to pick up a F50 for use in my truck.

$50 for the GPS module is a bit pricey though. Wondering if there is another less expensive GPS module that will work with the F50.

RodeoGeorge

I willlet you know. Hope to have a play tomorrow if the F50 arrives

I really like the Parking Mode on the F50, with the buffered video.
RodeoGeorge

Buffered video, do you mean Time Lapse recording? Just the F50 doesn't have that....(Only the X550 & F770 have that)

What I was referring to is capturing video prior to an event (Motion or G-Sensor) actually happening.

Here is a quote from the F50 Manual:

When the dash cam detects motion while parked, it will immediately store the previous 10 seconds prior to
the activation of motion detection start recording video for the next 10 seconds.
The 20-second motion detection recording is then saved on the MicroSD card under the folder named
"motion_rec".

Also, any news on a CPL Filter? I definitely need one in my installation.

RodeoGeorge

Last edited:
What I was referring to is capturing video prior to an event (Motion or G-Sensor) actually happening.

When the dash cam detects motion while parked, it will immediately store the previous 10 seconds prior to
the activation of motion detection start recording video for the next 10 seconds.
The 20-second motion detection recording is then saved on the MicroSD card under the folder named
"motion_rec".

Also, any news on a CPL Filter? I definitely need one in my installation.

RodeoGeorge

Yes that's fine :D (P.S. Thinkware are not planning any CPL filters im afraid)

That is bad news about Thinkware not planning to offer a CPL filter.
The F50 offers so many features, but my particular installation requires a CPL filter to have any usable video. So it's a deal breaker for me.
Has anyone found a CPL that will work with the F50?
I was thinking something like the Blackvue that clips on the unit.

Please post any possible solutions.

RodeeoGeorge

"motion_rec".
On A119, we use same solution to save the G-sensor locked file, the only limitation is that not support 1440P resolution.
For 1440P, it will save the entire file, not just 20 seconds file.

On A119, we use same solution to save the G-sensor locked file, the only limitation is that not support 1440P resolution.
For 1440P, it will save the entire file, not just 20 seconds file.

There is another major limitation in the A119. When using motion detection, it begins recording at the time of the detection (at least mine does) and then the 60 seconds following the motion detection.

On the F50, when motion is detected it saves the 10 seconds PRIOR to the motion detection and then 10 seconds following the motion detection. The same is true if there is a G-Sensor event.

It is true that a hardwire kit is required to have the parking mode, but the added low voltage and time (turn off parking after X hours) features make it far superior with regards to parking mode.

I have both the A119 and the F50. I use the A119 in my daily driver, and the F50 in my work truck where the parking mode is more critical.

RodeoGeorge

There is another major limitation in the A119. When using motion detection, it begins recording at the time of the detection (at least mine does) and then the 60 seconds following the motion detection.

On the F50, when motion is detected it saves the 10 seconds PRIOR to the motion detection and then 10 seconds following the motion detection. The same is true if there is a G-Sensor event.

It is true that a hardwire kit is required to have the parking mode, but the added low voltage and time (turn off parking after X hours) features make it far superior with regards to parking mode.

I have both the A119 and the F50. I use the A119 in my daily driver, and the F50 in my work truck where the parking mode is more critical.

RodeoGeorge
That's because the F50 has buffered parking mode. Most don't.

That's because the F50 has buffered parking mode. Most don't.

the buffer is great for this but in some cases is a negative also, adds limitations for manual saves as well

all that aside parking mode is a flawed application, it kills cameras and doesn't do memory cards or the vehicle battery any favours either

As talked before, it can also support save motion detection files separately on the card, but not work in 1440P resolution, as most user use 1440P as default, so we haven't implemented this feature yet. Does the F50 support 1440P resolution?

Okay guys. No need to gang up on me for pointing out a short coming.

One final comment, and case closed for me.

The best video in the world will do me not good if I miss the event.

RodeoGeorge

Okay guys. No need to gang up on me for pointing out a short coming.

One final comment, and case closed for me.

The best video in the world will do me not good if I miss the event.

RodeoGeorge

not ganging up on you, this is one of those compromises that gets made to be able to do things like parking mode and pre buffer, you have to live with low bitrate video the rest of the time

ideally I think if you wanted good results for parking mode and good results when driving you'd use two different cameras, not really practical to do though for most so choose your compromise I guess

Very close (see image) also if you literally took about 1.5mm off the corner of the mount you would get incredibly close to 90 degree angle!
Would you know where in Toronto Canada is a Thinkware service center? If someone needs to service under the one year warranty the x350 bought at Bestbuy. No one seems to know and I wonder does it have to be sent back to South Korea? The Thinkware website does not give any information and when they call ur customer support it says leave a message and someone will return call . NEVER does support return call!

Would you know where in Toronto Canada is a Thinkware service center? If someone needs to service under the one year warranty the x350 bought at Bestbuy. No one seems to know and I wonder does it have to be sent back to South Korea? The Thinkware website does not give any information and when they call ur customer support it says leave a message and someone will return call . NEVER does support return call!

I will email them and ask for you, leave it with me......

Back