This time a sound issue

chili

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only other issue i seem to be having at the moment is with the sound recording, there is no external mic attached to the camera sometimes sound is ok sometimes there is a crackle
i have linked 2 videos i have saved in youtube less than 20 seconds long. the daytime video sound is clear and ok the night time video has the crackle.
The crackle has also appeared in daytime footage so its not limited to day or night, the video quality is not my issue, i know the night footage is grainy. :)

i read a post somewhere and the person had a similar issue with their sound they were told the camera is not solid in the gps mount and to slide a cable tie
between the cam and mount to pad it out, not tried this as yet thought i would ask here first.

thanks

links below

daytime video good sound

night time bad crackle sound

Never heard a sound like that before!

Is it only when you turn left?

Sort of sounds like something is hitting the microphone, inside the dashcam case, which is possible. If you dismount the camera and shake it, do you hear anything loose?

Seems unlikely it would be a poor GPS connection, the A139 is not powered through the GPS, so even if there was a poor connection, it would have little effect on anything but the GPS signal.

Do you have the camera's Wi-Fi on?
If so, turn it off, and recheck.

Thanks both for the reply’s am stuck at work at the moment but have both given me something to check out. Will report back with replies to both your suggestions
Thanks

Is it something electronic --- bad connector contact ? Or specifically a defect in the device - a cold connection

That sound like when u be pulling out a mic jack plug but not all the way. (TRS jack) Loose connector somewhere? External mic plugged in? Otherwise, something rubbing up or blowing on the mic?

Another possible but highly rare occurrence is high magnetic interference that is affecting the sensitive mic. A good test would be to take the camera to a quiet location with no noise or electronics. like the woods but in my location thats a luxury and 50 bucks in gas... Your best bet is to get a replacement from warranty.

Just to reiterate there is no external mic attached to the camera. Got some videos to check now from the journey home last night

So the journey home, I started by formatting the sdcard in the camera so i had a clean slate. the 1st 3 minute video is me trying left/right indicators and wifi connected and disconnected the crackle happened no matter what.
In all i had it took less than 30 minutes to get home and i ended up with 7x3minute videos. The snap crackle pop (breakfast cereal :)) was consistent but random through all the video's.
I have linked the very 1st 3 minute video where i try the indicators left and right and also the wifi on and off there was no difference the noise's happened, this road was in the middle of the sticks.
The 50second video is in town flatter road surface, street lights shops etc still the noise happened. The last short video is when i was parked up just before i pulled the plug to the camera the noise happened even when at a standstill.

1st 3minute clip

2nd 50sec clip

at a standstill 12sec clip

forgot to mention i did shake the camera aswell :) no rattles heard coming from it.

Last edited:
Can you try it removed from the car, using a USB powerbank or mains charger...

Can you try it removed from the car, using a USB powerbank or mains charger...
just doin that now Buddy.
The camera is now in the study perched in single ch mode, what i have done is downgrade the fw to the viofo supplied me in connection with the parking mode sensitivity in my other post, that is now working as it should in event detection mode it is no longer recording constantly and is been triggered by movement so that is one positive to come out of 2 negatives.

So rather disappointed with the result of the out of car experience noise is still there but seems to go mad at 01:08 i am in the room with the camera as is my desktop pc

piccy of where camera is

IMG_1853.png

I am not sure why you are going through so much effort, but more power to you. Not sure why @VIOFO-Support hasn't responded. You should definitely get a replacement.

And last but not least for now i have no more ideas what to try, this 45sec clip was me testing the downgraded fw and auto event detection in parking mode it worked as it should then you see my fingers turning on wifi and boom noise starts

I am not sure why you are going through so much effort, but more power to you. Not sure why @VIOFO-Support hasn't responded. You should definitely get a replacement.
because i know its not working as it should so its going to niggle the F*** out of me, viofo have been in touch via the email side of the forum, not yet been offered any replacment by them but i do think i will go down that road.

So rather disappointed with the result of the out of car experience noise is still there but seems to go mad at 01:08 i am in the room with the camera as is my desktop pc
I think that is fairly conclusively a faulty camera.
Not sure what the problem is, I guess a bad microphone module, or just a bad connection in the audio circuitry.
The sound on the A139 Pro should be pretty good with very low background noise.
Viofo should say to send it back with that out of car video as evidence.

Not sure what the problem is, I guess a bad microphone module, or just a bad connection in the audio circuitry.
something else i have noticed, its back in the car now and i was sitting there watching it record in 2ch 4k i then stopped recording to go into setting and turn off "record sound" done that went back to main screen the camera done its refresh thing and
had switched to 2k recording so i stopped it went into setting and was unable to select any other recording option they were all greyed out and i got an ERROR 13 whatever that is.

@VIOFO-Support

can you please respond and help me out here

something else i have noticed, its back in the car now and i was sitting there watching it record in 2ch 4k i then stopped recording to go into setting and turn off "record sound" done that went back to main screen the camera done its refresh thing and
had switched to 2k recording so i stopped it went into setting and was unable to select any other recording option they were all greyed out and i got an ERROR 13 whatever that is.

@VIOFO-Support

can you please respond and help me out here
Very clearly there is something funky going on in the circuitry and it is more likely there is a connection or faulty grounding that is causing many electrical mishaps. Send it back.

i then stopped recording to go into setting and turn off "record sound"
You could have pressed the Mute button, does the same thing.

Not sure what the issue is, sort of sounds like the camera and app versions are not matching, you did say that you had put old firmware on the camera.

You could have pressed the Mute button, does the same thing.

Not sure what the issue is, sort of sounds like the camera and app versions are not matching, you did say that you had put old firmware on the camera.

It was back on to latest when this happened
also reset it all via the app

Ask for an A229 Pro 3-CH as a warranty replacement. lol

Back