Thread about the Bluetooth channel in Xiaomi Yi

This topic is old, but I thought I still share my progress. I succeeded in rebuilding the Yi Remote with a nRF52 chip.

You can have a deeper look into the code here: https://github.com/binloan/hid_camerashutter

Just to explain how the system actually works:

The YiRemote is acting as a HID Peripheral device, which means it emulates a Bluetooth keyboard and it offers exactly two buttons:
Volume up and volume down.
Most of you probably know that nowadays you can trigger the shutter of smartphone with the volume down knob. And essentially that's what they do.
Knowing that it was fairly simple to rebuild the remote. Unfortunately you can't rebuild the behaviour with an app inside your phone.
This is due to the fact that neither Apple nor Google allow you to change such low level settings inside the Bluetooth stack (The phone would need to become an HID device which it simply isn't).

But you could easily add some additional characteristics to the nRF52 and write an app that connects to this one, while it also holds connections to the cameras and then trigger it through that.
In any way I hope some of you might find this helpful.

Back