Tips from a Master Installer

BlackboxMyCar

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Thinkware, BlackVue, VIOFO, FineVu, Nextbase, Vantrue & More
Hey Guys! While a lot of our YouTube content does favour towards helping more basic users, our new video was more technical, and I really wanted to share it here.

Having Ryu in the office was a blast; he helped teach us plenty. You can’t see in the video(Thank our wonderful video editor), but we had about 3 people shadowing him through the whole process, even our regular installer learned a thing or two, and stopped working on his other vehicle just to see what Ryu was up to.

I specifically really liked how Ryu talked about the future of battery packs, even name-dropping Lithium-Titanate as a possibility for future batteries, something I hadn’t even heard of. Where do you guys see the future of battery packs? Did you learn anything new from the video?

Thanks,
Grayson

Nice video, but not particularly informative on installation, still it is a nice video.

I would not recommend using WD-40 as a lubricant where there are PVC coated or other plastic type material or coatings. A spray silicone lube would be a better idea. His "sound proofing" tape, is that regular electricians tape?

Nice video, but not particularly informative on installation, still it is a nice video.

I would not recommend using WD-40 as a lubricant where there are PVC coated or other plastic type material or coatings. A spray silicone lube would be a better idea. His "sound proofing" tape, is that regular electricians tape?
I used spray silicone version of WD-40 (can't remember the exact name but you can buy it) whenever I need to do stuff in my car (e.g. stop the power windows squeaking)

Guessing the sound proofing is electrical tape but thinner and more durable, I presume

Hey Guys! While a lot of our YouTube content does favour towards helping more basic users, our new video was more technical, and I really wanted to share it here.

Having Ryu in the office was a blast; he helped teach us plenty. You can’t see in the video(Thank our wonderful video editor), but we had about 3 people shadowing him through the whole process, even our regular installer learned a thing or two, and stopped working on his other vehicle just to see what Ryu was up to.

I specifically really liked how Ryu talked about the future of battery packs, even name-dropping Lithium-Titanate as a possibility for future batteries, something I hadn’t even heard of. Where do you guys see the future of battery packs? Did you learn anything new from the video?

Thanks,
Grayson

Decent video, I see I use a lot of the techniques he does already. Use the same type of gloves, running the cables in the A pillar that way etc but I don't shorten the cables etc and I certainly don't run the cables thru the rear view mirror!

It did show some tips that I could use for future installs though, so thank you for sharing this informative video! :)

Where do you guys see the future of battery packs?
Obsolete.

Solar Panel Integration so the battery pack can remain fully charged during daytime parking mode operation.
If you can keep the battery pack fully charged, then you might as well use the car battery and not bother with a battery pack.

I notice that he did "not" mention the orientation of the add-a-fuse thing, something that continues to create a lot of different opinions.
You're totally right, we didn't touch on this in the video, though to pull back the curtain a bit, there was a segment on this that we ultimately cut. You're right that it is a bit divisive, and there are a fair few different views on this.

Here's what Jay said:
You asked specifically about how Add-a-Fuse has a specific direction to connect in the fusebox, and you wanted to know the exact reason for this. Now, if you look here, you'll see the fuse. It's inside a fuse box, and the electricity goes in from this prong of the fuse, and through the other side, it goes back into the car. Typically, people just insert it without paying attention to the direction. But here's what's important: the direction matters because the side where electricity doesn't flow is where this wire should be pointing. The reason for this is that when you insert it like this, the electricity flows through the front fuse to the back fuse. So, the front fuse can easily disconnect and get damaged if it's inserted the wrong way. That's why the direction is quite important. It's not just about plugging it in randomly. While it might not be a significant issue if you're only using it for a dashcam, for batteries that draw a lot of current, it's crucial to remember that the direction matters.

Especially so as electric vehicles gain a stronger presence in the automobile market. There will no need for an aux battery for parking mode.
That will be true if they provide a decent power connection to the main high voltage battery. At the moment we are normally limited to using a very small secondary battery for access to 12V on electric cars, so electric cars are actually making power banks more necessary. Hopefully that will change and they will give us some decent high power USB-C PD sockets powered directly from the main battery, in which case there will be no point in additional powerbanks. That wasn't the #1 reason I think they will become obsolete though.

While it might not be a significant issue if you're only using it for a dashcam, for batteries that draw a lot of current, it's crucial to remember that the direction matters.
That is a good point, although I don't think you should be charging a dashcam powerbank using an add-a-fuse, unless you use an empty slot known to have a high enough power rating, and leave the main fuse slot empty, in which case it will only work one way around, so there is no argument as to which way around it goes!

Guessing the sound proofing is electrical tape but thinner and more durable, I presume

I think the tape might actually be this stuff. (note the red core when he's applying the tape in the video) (hard to see as he works fast and we only get a glimpse)

Tesa Black Fuzzy Fleece Interior Wire Loom Harness Tape

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B017OECD7W

The tape he was using was Automotive Cloth Tape, which is especially weather-resistant and ideal for insulation. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B08239PWL7

Thanks for the clarification about what tape you guys use.

Interestingly, the VERAF tape and the TESA tape appear to be very similar products although I'm not sure if they are equivalent. In fact, there does seem to be quite a few brands of "cloth harness tapes" used for sound deadening and protecting wire bundles but a little cursory poking around on the internet suggests that these two are the most well regarded.

Last edited:
That will be true if they provide a decent power connection to the main high voltage battery. At the moment we are normally limited to using a very small secondary battery for access to 12V on electric cars, so electric cars are actually making power banks more necessary. Hopefully that will change and they will give us some decent high power USB-C PD sockets powered directly from the main battery, in which case there will be no point in additional powerbanks. That wasn't the #1 reason I think they will become obsolete though.

I could speculate several good reasons why 12vdc is not currently used, but I expect some will find fault with it. I would imagine that at some point, EV manufacturers will step-down voltage from the
mains to power these accessories. The EU have effectively standarised USB-C for the world it seems, so that is a good start. At present, for me it is a moot point as I consider EV's inherently too dangerous to own. Instant immolation while trapped in a wrecked car is not on my list of ways to die. :)

I could speculate several good reasons why 12vdc is not currently used, but I expect some will find fault with it. I would imagine that at some point, EV manufacturers will step-down voltage from the
mains to power these accessories. The EU have effectively standarised USB-C for the world it seems, so that is a good start. At present, for me it is a moot point as I consider EV's inherently too dangerous to own. Instant immolation while trapped in a wrecked car is not on my list of ways to die. :)
Plus you could get a bill like this one. :eek:

Tesla Owner Charged $21,000 To Fix Rain-Damaged Battery

Thank you for putting this together! I always enjoy seeing experts in their craft sharing their wisdom.

I love how he shortened and wrapped cables as well as used that wrapped coat hanger to push cables. The discussion on batteries and different technologies was very insightful too.

I've had a professional installer do my cables with that cable wrap before too. They referred to it as Tesa tape, but mentioned that that's simply a brand and not the product, sorta like Kleenex or Xerox. There's several companies that make tape like that.

The mention of Lithium Titanate really piqued my interest so I asked ChatGPT about how it compares to Lithium Iron Phosphate in use for dashcam batteries. Here's what it said so we could have an idea of what to expect if/when manufacturers start to utilize that technology:

Lithium Titanate Batteries: A Brief Overview
Lithium Titanate (Li4Ti5O12, often abbreviated as LTO) batteries are relatively new in the consumer market but have several features that make them intriguing, especially for applications like dash cams.

Advantages
- **Fast Charging**: LTO batteries can be charged more quickly than other lithium-ion and lithium iron phosphate batteries.
- **Long Cycle Life**: LTO batteries often boast a longer cycle life, similar to lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4).
- **Low-Temperature Performance**: LTO batteries can operate efficiently at lower temperatures compared to other lithium-based batteries.
- **Safety**: They have excellent thermal stability, making them less likely to catch fire or explode.

Disadvantages
- **Low Energy Density**: LTO batteries generally have a lower energy density, meaning they need to be larger to store the same amount of energy.
- **Cost**: They are typically more expensive than lithium-ion and lithium iron phosphate batteries.

Comparing LTO with Lithium Iron Phosphate for Dash Cams

Cycle Life

- **LTO**: Can go up to 20,000-30,000 cycles
- **LiFePO4**: Around 2,000-3,000 cycles

Safety
- Both are considered safe and have low risks of thermal runaway.

Charge Speed
- **LTO**: Faster charging can be especially beneficial if you're using the dash cam extensively and need quick recharges.
- **LiFePO4**: Generally slower in comparison.

Energy Density and Size
- **LTO**: Lower energy density means a bigger battery pack for the same capacity.
- **LiFePO4**: Higher energy density, usually leading to a smaller and lighter battery pack.

Temperature Resistance
- Both have good temperature resistance but LTO can perform well even at lower temperatures.

Cost
- **LTO**: Typically more expensive
- **LiFePO4**: More cost-effective

Final Thoughts
If you're looking for a battery pack for a dash cam that will primarily record while the car is parked, the safety, long cycle life, and low-temperature performance of LTO could be very advantageous. However, be prepared for a larger and more expensive battery pack.

For supporting information, you might find this article from Battery University useful, which covers various types of lithium-based batteries in depth.
Lithium Titanate (Li4Ti5O12, often abbreviated as LTO) batteries are relatively new in the consumer market but have several features that make them intriguing, especially for applications like dash cams.

LTO seems a lost cause, just from the larger pack size, at least for use as a aux power source in cars. Its safety comes from the lower density as well as the chemistry, which is leading to the larger pack size. I tend to think the future for batteries is not in Lithium.

LTO seems a lost cause, just from the larger pack size, at least for use as a aux power source in cars. Its safety comes from the lower density as well as the chemistry, which is leading to the larger pack size. I tend to think the future for batteries is not in Lithium.
Fair points, I'm sure they'll think of some other battery technology soon enough. We've come in leaps and bounds even in the past decade

Back