Tips on adjusting the lens

Daniel Liebst

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I know how to do it and have already done so, but do anyone have any recommendations on what distance is some kind of good in between far and near focus, you don't want it to be perfect 10 meters away if you are going to shoot objects closer to you than that.

...you look for an far object you can see on TV if it is sharp or not, that will be about 5 meters. More distance you cannot adjust to sharpness, but you will see it on TV turning the lens more forward and back again. You will notice when you have the right point of good focussed lens (the best sharpness), it is about 5 meters.
I tried it three times and akways same point of adjusted lens.
One user here made several photos in other positions of lens clockwise about 2mm ( make lines on tape fixed on lens) and looks for best picture for him and fixed lens at that position.

This exact method is what I used, but at much closer distance 1meter from camera to printed focus pattern.

Hi!

Can you download my sample images and zoom to 100%
(not in browser as google image plugin does not allow zoom to real size)
and check is it focused to close object and background is defocused as I see?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_hyhUvel-mhYU9sRURyYXZ2SDA

I am not sure but I feel that I had to adjust the focus for landscape photography.
Thanks for any feedback!

Hi collegues,

You can try with some focus patterns on the web together with this script:
https://github.com/PJanisio/Xiaomi_Yi_autoexec/blob/master/focus_adjustment_helper/autoexec.ash

To achieve the best results in focusing.

We need to know what does this Script Do ... all i know about Focusing is the only way to do it through Rotating the Xiaomi Yi Lens Clockwise about 10 - 20 Degrees ... so how could this Help in Focusing ?? if it matters the Image ..Could u post a Picture B4 and After the Script ? Thx

We need to know what does this Script Do ... all i know about Focusing is the only way to do it through Rotating the Xiaomi Yi Lens Clockwise about 10 - 20 Degrees ... so how could this Help in Focusing ?? if it matters the Image ..Could u post a Picture B4 and After the Script ? Thx

Hi this script doesn not change focus itself. First you need to connect camera to your TV with hdmi cable, than put the script on sd card. After boot-up your camera will be zooming in and out so it is helpfull while rotating the lens.

Hi this script doesn not change focus itself. First you need to connect camera to your TV with hdmi cable, than put the script on sd card. After boot-up your camera will be zooming in and out so it is helpfull while rotating the lens.
I am curious is it possible to have narrow FOV and zoomed in cropped resolution in videos instead of downsizing the full area?
Checking the Sony sensor's spec I did not find it but for example my Mobius camera does this well, there is option to use the center 1080p or 720p area of the 3MP sensor and have less fisheye effect.

I replaced lens to 4.3mm as I hate the fisheye effect, here is my first focus result (download and open at image viewer to zoom to 100% as google drive only shows smaller resolution preview):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_hyhUvel-mhYXp1WlBlYXprZW8

What I see here is that the left part of the image is blurry against the right part, can it be caused by a small angle of the lens?
..or maybe this lens has low optical quality?

Last edited:
Very usefull script. thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Xiaomiau Yi Action Camera 0
G Yi Action Camera 6
Back