Title Says it all, what should I buy?

Alex Mermelstein

Reaction score
Country
United States
I vowed that when I bought a new car I would buy a dash cam, but I'm really struggling on making a final decision. I have a 2013 Ford Fusion (ok, so it's new to me). Here are my requirements:

- Video quality must be high in both day and night. I work in professional video and refuse to buy something that didn't shoot at the highest quality. Doesn't have to be 1296 or 1440, normal 1080 HD is fine.
- Need a good parking mode. I'm 99% sure the 12V port under my dash is always on, so I'd like a camera smart enough to know when I'm parked. I live in Brooklyn, NY, USA and it's a very active area, so being able to record while I'm away is key. It also brings up a question: If motion is detected, how quickly do the camera start recording? I've heard startup times can be as long as 45 seconds. The incident can be over by then. EDIT: I learned that as long as the camera is powered, it's always "looking." So I just need a camera that does this without being hardwired, instead utilizing the 12V port.
- Being that I live in Brooklyn, where the insurance rates are the highest in the country, I need something discreet looking. A shiny "here-I-am" look will get my window smashed. Prefer 3M adhesive to suction cups.
- Would prefer 2CH. Been rear ended a few times in the last year and while they didn't flee, I would feel better knowing I got my rear end covered. If there isn't a 2CH that meets my other requirements, I'll just buy a second cheaper camera for the back (I have a power port behind the center console which should be close enough for a normal length power cable).
- Don't need WiFi or Cloud. GPS would be nice, but not required.
- Living in the Northeast US, it doesn't get extremely hot or cold, so temperature tolerance isn't a factor for me.
- Money isn't really a factor, either. I'm willing to spend a lot to get good quality. I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for."

Right now the front runner is the Street Guardian SG9665GC (or the Viofo A119), but these are 1CH cameras and I'm reading disagreeing reviews about the features of both.

Please ask any questions you need to to get the whole picture.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I drive my car every day, even on weekends, so I'm not worried about draining the battery, as my alternator will recharge it daily. Not interested in doing a hardwire setup, so parking mode must work off the power port.

Last edited:
the cameras that do parking mode well generally run fairly low bitrate for reasons of stability, heat tolerance, data storage etc, running like that though doesn't really deliver the best video results, anything is a trade off so it's a matter of deciding what matters most to you I guess

@jokiin I think you're right. I've narrowed it down to 5 choices:

SpyTec A119
Mini 0806
Street Guardian SG9665GC v2 2016 edition (yours!)
BlackSys CH-100B 2 Channel
Blackvue New 2 Channel DR650GW-2Ch

I'm honestly not crazy about spoken notifications, since my commute is 2 hours one-way each day and the last thing I need is a repeated message for 2 hours. Your Street Guardian has all my major needs, especially video quality and discreetness. I may get the Mini as a separate camera for the back. Given that my ports are always on, will the Street Guardian continuously record or is there a motion detection setting that I can activate that will shut the camera down after 10 minutes of no vehicle movement? If it will continuously record, that's fine. I read that the new firmware now allows up to a 200 GB microSD card, which will give me over 36 hours of footage, if not more. I'm curious what the drain will be of the camera constantly recording will be on my battery. Remember, I never go more than 18 hours without driving somewhere.

200gb card gives around 26 hours in our camera, draws less than 200mAh when running, motion detect is something we are still fine tuning

A119 is new to market and improving all the time as firmware is updated, not sure on the motion detect performance as it's not something I've looked at

0806 I wouldn't even consider, other issues aside it has a battery inside which makes it not suitable

for 2 channel the Blackvue would be a better choice than the Blacksys

even you might do a fair bit of driving a constant parasitic drain on your car battery will shorten the life expectancy, for people that run like this is not unusual to have your car battery die in a year or so, winter is the toughest for it, summer is harsh on everything else, cameras, memory cards etc

If I go with the Street Guardian, I'd need a small camera for the back.

I'm overwhelmed with the different options available. Looking to make a purchase within the next 2 weeks.

I was under the impression that the Street Guardian SG9665GC didn't have a parking/buffer mode. I thought it was only the Street Guardian RC that had that feature, unless this is a new feature on the 2016 GC.

@mostcallmerob I believe you are correct. I was considering the SGZC12RC, too. Not sure where I'd put the DVR box. Haven't read the full review on the forums yet.

You know, looking at it, the SGZC12RC might be my best option. I can put the DVR box in my center console or my glove compartment.

Also looking at the Lukas LK-7900.

You know, looking at it, the SGZC12RC might be my best option. I can put the DVR box in my center console or my glove compartment. Also looking at the Lukas LK-7900.
If I were thinking of buying the 12RC again, I'd also be taking a close look at the QVIA T790 in preference to the Lukas LK-7900. If I wanted to spend less cash I'd also consider the Thinkware F50.

UPDATE: Just confirmed directly from Ford that all 3 12V ports in my car are "always on." So now I definitely want something that will record while parked. Motion detection only is fine.

I'm using my SG9665GCs using motion detect for parking mode. Works reasonably well, but I have encountered (as expected) that the camera will stop recording at long stop lights due to no motion in front of the camera. You could mitigate that by manually turning on/off motion detection when you park and depart.

UPDATE: Just confirmed directly from Ford that all 3 12V ports in my car are "always on." So now I definitely want something that will record while parked. Motion detection only is fine.
My 12RC is set to function in pre-buffered motion sensing mode when driving & when parked. The use of motion detection while driving is not advisable for most cameras, however, it's entirely reliable with the SGZC12RC.

@russ331 Does the 12RC have voltage protection built in? If not, can anyone recommend a good voltage protector that will work with a cigarette port setup?

I don't think you'll find a voltage protection unit that simply plugs into a port. All the units I've seen require you to hardwire it into your car. One wire for switched ACC power, another for uninterrupted battery power, and a ground. This way the device "knows" when the car is running, or is off and parked.

They sell some for 12v fridges used in cars and trucks. They used to have a one piece adapter, that plugged into your cig lighter socket, then you plugged the 12v cig lighter plug into that.
Don't see them now, just the 'dongle' thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0001MQ7FO
Probably too big to use easily in a car, or too much hassle.

81DslNi7kaL._SL1500_.jpg

Yikes, I wouldn't use that! 11V and you car battery is about drained.

Car-Battery-Voltage-Chart.jpg

Why not get a dedicated unit and hardwire it in? Most can change the cut-off voltage to your liking, with the benefit of having all the wiring hidden?

Why not get a dedicated unit and hardwire it in? Most can change the cut-off voltage to your liking, with the benefit of having all the wiring hidden?

I lease, so I change cars every few years. It would be a pain to constantly hardwire a camera that often, plus I'm not sure if it violates the terms of the lease to mess with the car's electric like that.

I doubt I'll need such a device as I drive my car daily (literally every day), but I'm looking at the Lukas LK-7900 since it has a built-in voltage protector that won't let the battery drop below 12V.

I lease, so I change cars every few years. It would be a pain to constantly hardwire a camera that often, plus I'm not sure if it violates the terms of the lease to mess with the car's electric like that.

I doubt I'll need such a device as I drive my car daily (literally every day), but I'm looking at the Lukas LK-7900 since it has a built-in voltage protector that won't let the battery drop below 12V.

With an add-a-fuse, you'd leave no evidence behind and would return the car to stock by removing it. It's really not that much trouble to hardwire, once you get it down, can be done in 30 minutes easy.

If you want battery protection and simplifying things talk to Peir28 about the Vico Power Plus (not a camera).

Back