Toronto Ice Storm - March 24 /25

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Didn't do much driving on March 24, 25. Thankfully. Didn't drive in rush hour either. Freezing rain for the two days resulted in cars with a layer of ice on the roof. Difficult to get off, but broke up during driving. Saw a few cases, but only retained a few of these.

My video:

Toronto Road cams video

Guess I got lucky as I live about 4 hours drive to the west in Michigan. I got a few inches of very wet snow then a whole lot of rain and little bits of ice. Area further north (like around Saginaw and Bay City and up the whole north half of lower peninsula) got over a foot of snow. Some ice were mostly along the I-69 corridor from Lansing to Canada border.

I stayed home all day Thursday and Friday to avoid the mess.

I thought in Canada your vehicle must be completely clear of snow and ice by law before venturing out. Of course this is one of those common sense laws that they must implement because of stupidity. I wish they had it in NY!

That is true. Its a law in Ontario. I will tell you I see a few police cars covered in snow on the roads

It was ice and had to be scraped off unlike snow. Easy to do for a windshield, but a challenge for a roof or hood.

I had take remove the ice from my driveway like a project. Salt, come back and brake with a metal shovel, get tired, salt again, rest inside the home come back out side 45 minutes late, break with a metal shovel , repeat. On Thursday, I thought I was in prison labour.

I have a plastic bowl with crack to empty water that I use to feed the birds. There was three inches of ice yesterday morning.

Most drivers couldn't be bothered removing the ice from the car thinking it would remain there. I see it breaks when you hit a bump such as pot hole or when you make a turn. Where it is really bad is with vans and transport trucks. I usually drive 4 to 5 seconds back of 18 wheelers and one can not reasonably expect them to remove snow from the trailer, even though its a law. I have rarely heard or seen any one pulled over because of excessive snow on the car, but I know it happens from time to time.

more you tube videos NOT take by myself (the first in the thread is mine)

we never get any real snow here in houston, but occasionally we get ice storms. i wish they'd sell better scrapers here. all they seem to carry are the crappy little 50c ones that would barely work to scrape bird droppings off the glass, nevermind actual ice. they're fine for light frost that the windshield wipers can't clear, but anything more than a few mm, forget it. my mom, who lives in new england, sent me a nice scraper with teeth on the backside to help break up the thicker stuff. it also has a plastic sleeve on the outside of the handle, with fleece on the inside, so you don't get snow/slush all over your hand/arm while scraping. :)

that said, i've never had to deal with more than about 1cm of ice on the car, so i can only imagine how much fun this was for you guys.

Back