Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Note:
  1. Image of Pedestrian is blacked out
  2. How quick they uploaded this
  3. How the camera angle is great for home security, but does fully capture the incident
  4. Some debate over the vehicle. TPS states its a Chrysler minivan, but users on Reddit feel it could be a Mercedes.
  5. 49th fatality this year. And I drive and walk in this environment every day.

News article on incident

No matter where you are, and how you are moving, you better not leave your safety to other people, i cant believe those phone zombies dont get killed more often.
I even look righ and left crossing a intersection with green light, and making a right turn with green arrow i still look over my shoulder as i have had close encounters with cyclists in this situation wanting to go strait ( which have red light )
Trust no one.

TORONTO POLICE HAVE CAUGHT THE DRIVER OF THE MINIVAN

No matter where you are, and how you are moving, you better not leave your safety to other people, i cant believe those phone zombies dont get killed more often.
I even look righ and left crossing a intersection with green light, and making a right turn with green arrow i still look over my shoulder as i have had close encounters with cyclists in this situation wanting to go strait ( which have red light )
Trust no one.

I hear you. I have been doing for defensive walking for over 20 years now after almost being hit while walking to work in downtown Toronto. This was well before the mobile phone epidemic too.

The more vulnerable you are, the better you pay attention- lessons learned in Motorcycling 101.

If we're not there already, it will not be long before cellphone use in public directly causes more deaths and serious injuries than guns and knives. Same as those, cellphones should be restricted to only those who can and do use them properly. That will never happen of course, but it is the correct solution when voluntary adherence to safety standards is not being met. The minivan driver could have done better by noticing the potential hazard sooner but some things are essentially unavoidable. That might have been a defense for them, but since they left the scene they will now get crucified over this, even when they apparently had little or no fault in the matter. As I've said before, pedestrians and vehicle traffic do not mix well.

In an organized society, your importance is no greater that that of anyone around you, and you do not have the moral right to endanger them through your own stupidity. That applies equally to all those around you towards you. Too bad the law doesn't see it this way. Someone will claim that since the pedestrian was within the crosswalk, it was the minivan's responsibility to avoid them, just as the law says. This is another example of why everyone needs a dashcam to protect themselves against the stupidity of others, including the stupidity of the laws.

Phil

It appears the pedestrian waited for a few seconds to cross and another pedestrian crossed at the same time at the other crosswalk from the other side of the street. This implies that the traffic light changed and the van was running the red. We will never know as the cameras were pointed for the benefit of home security and not a red light camera.

Given the disregard for law and general safety, I really can't understand anyone driving without a dashcam here. I have had pedestrians cross right in the middle of the road without them looking to see if I am going to stop. The common excuse is they are too expensive, but its still less expensive than an insurance deductible or a charge of reckless driving when you are not at fault.

I have had pedestrians cross right in the middle of the road without them looking to see if I am going to stop

That is very unwise here in SC. Pedestrians here are protected only when crossing properly at a marked crosswalk, crossing properly at an intersection where there is no crosswalk, or crossing properly on a rural road where there are no intersections nearby. Crossing properly is defined as crossing with the light or obeying a walk/don't walk indicator, or if those are absent crossing only when it is clear and safe to do so in both directions of road travel. If they cross between intersections or leave the crosswalk or cross without looking or cross against signage or indicators, then it's just too bad for them if they get mowed down. I like the way this law is here because it places the responsibility of pedestrian safety mostly on the pedestrians which is how that should be. Do things right, you're protected by law- do things wrong, you're not protected. Which follows simple logic, for if you do things right you are very unlikely to get mowed down regardless of what the law says.

I didn't see or hear the details of the minivan possibly running a red light. If that be the case then they deserve the crucifixion they're about to get. And we here all know that dashcams are worth their cost. I don't think most folks realize that there are reliable dashcams out there for so little cash. With good choices of card and cam, $75 will give you 3+ years of adequate protection and maybe even for longer than that. $25 a year isn't much at all; less than 15 cents per day. Just trade one Coke or Pepsi a week for a glass of water and you're set. Ain't costly at all. What is costly is needing a dashcam and not having it. In this case, if there wasn't a red light and the minivan driver could prove that via dashcam footage they would only face prosecution for leaving the scene- a relatively minor charge compared to what they're now facing. Now their freedom, license, and lots of their money are depending totally on what that other pedestrian says, and that person is definitely not going to admit it if they were crossing illegally, so the outcome is now a given all for the lack of a 15 cents per day dashcam.

Oh well. I didn't see much of anything in this which could be called "smart" anyway except for the Police catching the minivan driver.

Phil

Apparently the driver turned himself in. Earlier this year a shop called police when someone brought in a car matching the description of a hit and run. She is facing a 5 yer sentence. He knew he would eventually be caught.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1502614

He has a family that was there at the hearing expecting him to be released on bail. Didn't happen. Appears he has 3 children, one disabled. So here are two families which are destroyed due to one drivers 2 seconds of selfishness.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4199325/toronto-woman-pleads-guilty-fatal-hit-and-run/

Lets hope for the driver that the pictures of cupcakes or what even deflected his / her attention was worth it.

Sad on a monumental level.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Home Security, Surveillance Cameras, IP Cams, CCTV 3