Totally confused

Pyrotechnic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This thread may have been started elsewhere but having done a quick search, can't find one. However, as time goes on and people become more familiar with their choice, then I guess the opinion changes.

I am looking to purchase my first dash cam and I am struggling to decide which one. Both have good and bad reviews.

The 2 in question are the MiWitness Dual Cam kit and the other is the BlackVue DR650 Dual Cam option.

MiWitness seem to get a bit of stick in relation to the image quality and the reading of number plates etc. The BlackVue gets similar comments in terms of blocking and pixelation of video footage.

I guess what I am after is a view from those who own or have owned these models of dash cam and which one you would choose and why.

Any help on deciding would be much appreciated and again I apologise if the issue has already been discussed.

May I ask why those two specific cameras? For that money, there are much better options

No particular reason other than they seem to be popular and advertised the most. As I say in the original post, I am new to this, so if you have any other suggestions of models I should look at then I will. ;)

A good place to start would be the Dash Cam Talk comparison page. There you will find an overview of most of the currently available cameras worth considering and a good deal of helpful information. From there you might start looking at the forums for specific cameras that have struck your eye on the comparison page. Often, threads that have the most activity suggest that a particular camera is very popular for a good reason or that there may be a problem you might want to be aware of before purchasing. Another suggestion might be to talk about what your needs and interests are when asking "what should I buy?" For example, do you want a camera that is very discreet, one that holds up well in a hot car, best image quality at night, parking mode, and so on.

It appears that you are interested in a dual camera but so far this solution has been found lacking for several reasons. Many find that two cameras provide far better results, more flexibility and lower costs.

Thanks for the reply. I shall look into the comparison pages. Also, apologies for the dual camera description, not a good one. What I meant was the 2 camera system, such as the MiWitness and BlackVue DR650 which both are 2 Camera systems.

I'm sure he understood what you meant, just most of the 2 channel systems are not worth the asking price, a lot of people resort to 2 single cameras for that reason

Ahh, I see. Apologies. Purchasing a single camera kit for the front and one for the back. Totally understand now. Yes, I noticed that the systems have a very low spec on the rear ones.

Very clear footage. Will these be available in the UK? Perhaps I should look at the Blackvue 500 range in the interim ?

Very clear footage. Will these be available in the UK? Perhaps I should look at the Blackvue 500 range in the interim ?

We will make all our products available word wide. I do not recommend Blackvue products unless you don't mind blocky/pixelated video. (low bit-rate)

Pier28 is quite right. Blackvue over promises but underperforms, especially for the price. The Panorama is so highly rated for good reasons. Be patient, do your homework and figure out what is really best for you. If you should decide to buy a Panorama, which would be an excellent choice, Pier28 is your man.

The bitrate issue does seem to be a common one. However, can anyone recommend one with a high bitrate. I am happy to dip my toe in and just try a from cam to start with. I have looked at YouTube and viewed some of the DR600 footage which seems OK, yet I am led to believe this has been taken using a different set up ?

Haven't looked at the Panorama models, in fact are they available in the UK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back