Toyota Integrated Dash Cam - Don't Buy!

golden99

Reaction score
I may have missed it, but didn't see any threads here talking about Toyota's Integrated Dash Cam so I thought I'd add my experience. This is a copy of a post I made over at the Toyota Nation forum. The whole thread is here:

I've posted in various other threads, but after buying, installing and using Toyota's Integrated Dash Cam (PN PT949-08210) for a couple of months, I thought it'd be worth creating a new thread about my experience with it for anyone thinking about buying one. Basically, DON'T!

In summary:
  • Very poor video quality
  • Difficult to get warranty support
  • Problematic with larger capacity SD cards
  • No CPL filter available
  • Much larger than most
  • Not "integrated" with anything
  • Very expensive - $300+
I wanted to go with the Toyota Integrated Dash Cam in my wife's brand new Venza Limited because, well, it's a Toyota. They bragged about how much it can do as well as the associated Toyota Dash Cam Smart Phone App, but the app also turned out to be kludgy and not very useful even when it can connect to it. Overall it has been a very disappointing experience.

The day as well as nighttime video quality is well below all of the aftermarket dash cams I've used over the years and probably most of those currently available for a lot less money. The image resolution is just plain lousy. Although it claims to be HD, it's grainy and you can barely read the license plate of a vehicle directly in front of you at a stoplight let alone any chance of reading one further away in any direction in case of a hit and run, etc. The camera lens isn't polarized so in normal sunlight it reflects the dash and is constantly trying to adjust for sun/shadow white balance with the image going completely blank at times in full sun. It tends to drop frames as well. See the video example below. I thought that it might be a defective unit but after viewing other YT videos I see that it's "normal". Wish I had done more research.

I've installed multiple dash cams in all of our vehicles for more than a decade. I repurposed the first one I ever bought back in 2013, a Mobius Mini Cam, as a rearview cam in the wife's RAV4 before we traded it in on the Venza. It was working fine and the image was far superior to the Toyota cam. I've installed other brands since then, but have had very good luck with VIOFO dash cams including the VIOFO A119 and A129 that I have in a couple of other vehicles. I guess I'm spoiled. They have all of the features that the Toyota dash cam boasts and more plus the audio is great and most importantly the image resolution is excellent. They've been very dependable and continue to get better. I have 128MB SD Cards in both so the files aren't overwritten right away like the 16MB card in the Toyota dash cam.

Toyota does not sell a CPL filter for their dash cam so I ended up adding this CPL filter from one of my old VIOFOs to the Toyota dash cam and it helped tone down the dash reflections and constant white balance adjustments. It didn't really fit of course, but I was able to use electrical tape on the top and bottom edges to hold it in place. I guess I'll superglue it on one of these days. Ultimately even with the filter the Toyota dash cam is still nowhere near as good as any of the other dash cams I've used.

Initially I set it up without the sound turned on but decided that I'd like to hear the sound quality a few weeks later. Followed the directions to turn the mic on to a tee and for whatever reason the mic is inoperative in the one I bought. I called the dealership where I purchased it and they said I'd need to bring the Venza in and leave it for the day so that the techs could verify that it's not working before they'd replace it. I told them that I installed it myself and they understood but said that to "take advantage of the one-year warranty" that they'd have to test it themselves. Never mind.

Live and learn, but it's a very disappointing $300 mistake (also requires additional dedicated wiring harness - PN PT949-48210). So with even with no sound I'm going to leave it in place until it quits or I get even more frustrated with it. I guess it'll help to show who's at fault if there's an accident in the meantime. However once it quits, and I'm betting it will, I'll replace it with a VIOFO dash cam or maybe something else if there's a better option at the time. Guess I should have known better.

Toyota sells two different models of the "Integrated Dash Cam" and I have the one for the 2nd Gen Venza that looks like this:

Toyota Integrated Dash Cam Fail 1.jpegToyota Venza Integrated Dash Cam 5.jpg

Screen capture comparisons:

Toyota Vs VIOFO Dash Cam.jpg

Toyota Vs VIOFO Dash Cam 4.jpg

This video is an example of how poor the Toyota Integrated Dash Cam video is:

This video is with the VIOFO CPL filter attached to the Toyota Integrated Dash Cam:

Hope this helps anyone that follows!

Last edited:
I guess I'll superglue it on one of these days.
:eek: DON'T!! There's a very real possibility the outgassing from the super glue will do bad things to the lens coatings.

:eek: DON'T!! There's a very real possibility the outgassing from the super glue will do bad things to the lens coatings.
Good advice. I was just going to apply a touch to the edges of the filter case, but I'll probably just leave it attached with electrical tape. Can't tell and only I know it's there. Yet another reason to avoid this cam. ;)

Yikes, thanks for the feedback! Yeah so far I haven't seen any factory branded dashcams that are really good. They generally tend to use older tech, have poor quality, and are overpriced. I guess you're paying for the "name" and maybe integration with the car, even though that doesn't translate into a good dashcam, especially compared to all the other aftermarket options.

Yikes, thanks for the feedback! Yeah so far I haven't seen any factory branded dashcams that are really good. They generally tend to use older tech, have poor quality, and are overpriced. I guess you're paying for the "name" and maybe integration with the car, even though that doesn't translate into a good dashcam, especially compared to all the other aftermarket options.
Yep. Learned my lesson. We've had Toyotas and Lexus for decades and they've all been super reliable and all-around great cars and trucks. Vehicle manufacturers should stick to manufacturing vehicles. They could avoid a lot of bad press. ;)

I am an engineer for Toyota and I work with the accessories division from time to time (I have no experience with the dash cam directly but I know the group that was likely responsible for bringing it to market, I've dealt with them for other video/camera products).

The dash cam is almost certainly NOT just a rebrand, Toyata does not do that very often, if at all.

The answer to your question of why it kind of sucks is:

Money. It's always money.

I am an engineer for Toyota and I work with the accessories division from time to time (I have no experience with the dash cam directly but I know the group that was likely responsible for bringing it to market, I've dealt with them for other video/camera products).

The dash cam is almost certainly NOT just a rebrand, Toyata does not do that very often, if at all.

The answer to your question of why it kind of sucks is:

Money. It's always money.
Agreed, and that's too bad.

Toyota/Lexus doesn't seem to skimp in other areas. The overall brand is as close to bullet-proof (if not more-so) as any out there due to their excellent engineering and design.

Like their stereos (manufactured by Denso, Pioneer, Clarion) and some other specialty parts, I'm pretty sure the dash cams aren't built in a Toyota factory but by a third party (to Toyota's specs). I could be wrong, but that would make much more sense dollars-wise.

You'd think they'd want to ensure that something with their name on it is as good or better than anything available in that price range rather than sub-standard. It would be better to just not offer anything at all rather than something that has a negative impact on the brand IMHO.

Video quality and pricing aside, I kinda' like the form factor. And the lens module looks well shielded from extraneous light, somewhat like a lens shade.

Toyota Venza Integrated Dash Cam 5.jpeg

Venza_2020_DashCamera_M.jpeg

Video quality and pricing aside, I kinda' like the form factor. And the lens module looks well shielded from extraneous light, somewhat like a lens shade.

View attachment 69870

View attachment 69871
The form factor is okay, but it's twice the size of most dash cams, so it's kind of intrusive. Otherwise, trust me, it's terrible. It picks up ALL of the reflections of the dash, hood, windshield you name it. White balance is constantly adjusting and sometimes when you head into the sun the video just disappears. Of course they don't make a CPL filter for it, so per my earlier post I managed to stick a VIOFO CPL filter on it which improved the reflection issue, but it's still just lousy overall. As mentioned, it failed to ever recorded audio. Now the standby goes away after it's parked. I'm going to pull it pretty soon and put something decent in, probably another VIOFO since I've had very good luck with them. $300 lesson learned.

FWIW as far as form factor, FitCamX makes one that looks OE since it replaces the center cover behind the mirror. I've never tried it, but it's getting good reviews on several Toyota forums (maybe here too?).

Last edited:
The form factor is okay, but it's twice the size of most dash cams, so it's kind of intrusive. Otherwise, trust me, it's terrible. It picks up ALL of the reflections of the dash, hood, windshield you name it. White balance is constantly adjusting and sometimes when you head into the sun the video just disappears. Of course they don't make a CPL filter for it, so per my earlier post I managed to stick a VIOFO CPL filter on it which improved the reflection issue, but it's still just lousy overall. As mentioned, it failed to ever recorded audio. Now the standby goes away after it's parked. I'm going to pull it pretty soon and put something decent in, probably another VIOFO since I've had very good luck with them. $300 lesson learned.

FWIW as far as form factor, FitCamX makes one that looks OE since it replaces the center cover behind the mirror. I've never tried it, but it's getting good reviews on several Toyota forums (maybe here too?). 4K front and rear camera for about half the price of the Toyota Integrated Dash Cam's 1080p.

Yes, I get all that about the poor performance but I was speaking only of the form factor. I like that the camera is fairly flat and fits well behind the rear view mirror.

From appearances the camera is not all that big but it does seem to have a cable cover above it which makes it look bigger. That is a design we've seen before with some of the older Street Guardian wedge models. They still sell them. The cowling simply covers the cabling that extends down to the camera. At least that's what it looks like as it appears nearly identical to what the Street Guardian cams came with.

street_guardian cover.jpg

Yes, I get all that about the poor performance but I was speaking only of the form factor. I like that the camera is fairly flat and fits well behind the rear view mirror.

From appearances the camera is not all that big but it does seem to have a cable cover above it which makes it look bigger. That is a design we've seen before with some of the older Street Guardian wedge models. They still sell them. The cowling simply covers the cabling that extends down to the camera. At least that's what it looks like as it appears nearly identical to what the Street Guardian cams came with.

View attachment 69872
Gotcha. (y) It's pretty big... large enough to be very noticeable when you get in. I've had all sorts of dash cams over the years and this one is the largest for sure. Usually I mount the cams on the passenger side so I'm not even aware that they're there but that's not an option with this one. I was surprised at the size when I opened up the box. Honestly it's a bit overwhelming when you see it in person. But it said "Toyota" on it so I was in. I'll be glad when it's outta there. Still love our Toyotas and Lexus though!

Toyota Integrated Dash Cam 5.jpg

Last edited:
Gotcha. (y) It's pretty big... large enough to be very noticeable when you get it. I've had all sorts of dash cams over the years and this one is the largest for sure. Usually I mount the cams on the passenger side so I'm not even aware that they're there but that's not an option with this one. I was surprised at the size when I opened up the box. Honestly it's a bit overwhelming when you see it in person. But it said "Toyota" on it so I was in. I'll be glad when it's outta there. Still love our Toyotas and Lexus though!

I hear you! I've been driving Toyotas for 30 years now. Still, some of their accessories are outrageously overpriced and not worth it. Same with some of their maintenance parts. My dealer wanted $50 to replace the cabin air filter but instead I buy them on Amazon for $8.99 and they are of the same or better quality than the Toyota OEM plus include a charcoal filter layer. I certainly wouldn't buy a dash cam from them.

OT I know, but cabin filters are the biggest dealer annoyance of them all. It's not just Toyota either. R&R on some are a little more difficult than others, but I've seen some dealers charging $100 to replace them when the actual OE filter sells for around $20 and takes about two minutes to replace. They wonder why they have a bad rep. Sigh.
/rant. ;)

Quick follow-up. I ended up removing the Toyota Integrated Dash Cam and replacing it with a FITCAMX 4K front and 1080p rear dash cam kit. I've used VIOFO cams for years, but I thought I'd give the FITCAMX a try. I like it! Video quality is very good. It also looks completely OE, or actually, non-existent really since it's built into a housing that replaces the OE housing behind the rearview mirror.

If you get one, I highly recommend the optional CPL filter (#3345):

It's powered by a Y adapter that uses the electronic rearview mirror port so it only records when the Venza is running and doesn't have parking mode or GPS. It records the date and time only. You can get a regular power harness that can be wired like a normal dash cam so it's capable of parking mode though.

Pretty easy to install the front cam, but takes a little more time to install the rear cam. I ran the wire through the rubber loom that's between the tailgate and the body. That was tedious. Otherwise running the cable from the back to the front along the roofline isn't too bad.

It has a decent app where you can view the videos any time and of course you can take the supplied micro SD card out and view the videos on your computer.

Kind of spendy as dash cams go, but so far I'm very pleased with it.

Here's what it looks like and a couple of screen shots.

FITCAMX 2023 Venza LTD 1.jpg
Venza FITCAMX Rear 1.jpeg
FITCAMX Venza Front 1.jpeg
FITCAMX Venza Rear 1.jpeg

Friend had Toyota install dashcam in UK thinking it would be official Toyota and 'perfect' but they installed Nextbase.

Back