Tractor cam?

K-A

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian SG9663DCPRO
@Farmer12 his/her avatar on here gave me an idea. Do any firms make dashcams specifically for agricultural tractors? I'd think the scientific and forward farmers would be interested in them. Maybe they could get insurance to pay for them, as a safety feature? Also, if tractors have anything like OBD II these days they could be designed to display important matter for the operator.

It can get quite crowded in those fields, but normally everyone keeps to their own patch, so the chances of a traffic accident are quite low, and if there is an accident, well it will be with someone from the same company so the insurance can't pass the cost onto someone else's insurance!

I'm trying to work out what the purpose of the tractor cams would be?

Seem like you guys have plowing competitions too, and they are won by millimeters like here :)

Its also a competition in the old way.

I prefer the modern way:

I think most large farm machinery already have GPS systems that monitor the plowing, or direct the operator?

Got to love this guys 'twang'...

In the 90ties i got to try different new pieces of farm equipment and tractors now and then, and man some of them was really sweet, and some tractors could pull wheelies.
And the automatic transmissions and god know how many gears was a breeze, just hit that lever to go up or down in gears.
The big harvesters only had 5-6 inches of clearance in the side going from lower car deck on the ferry to shore.

To prove that you were safely operating and some else was being unsafe and got killed. If this is a thing with modern tractors, I guess I missed that bus.

I see some pretty big stuff moving on rural roads in farm areas. Probably a dashcam would help there, but it's not like you can't see them from pretty far away. :)
It is hard to judge the speed, though.

I see some pretty big stuff moving on rural roads in farm areas. Probably a dashcam would help there, but it's not like you can't see them from pretty far away. :)
It is hard to judge the speed, though.
Might have difficulty mounting the camera in a place where it has a good view of the foolish:

As a general rule, the tractor has the right of way, and anyone who gets themselves close enough to be in danger is at fault!

It can get quite crowded in those fields, but normally everyone keeps to their own patch, so the chances of a traffic accident are quite low, and if there is an accident, well it will be with someone from the same company so the insurance can't pass the cost onto someone else's insurance!

A new thing I learn today and that is tractor camera.

Last edited:
Adding dashcams to tractors is a cool idea! It could help with safety and insurance.

What would need to be different in a tractor camera from a standard dash cam? Couldn't you just use a standard dash cam for that purpose?

You could probably use a standard dash cam for a tractor but you likely wouldn't want to because cameras are generally used for a different purpose in agricultural equipment than they are in motor vehicles. In addition, the environments cameras are deployed in for agricultural vehicles require a much more robust build than consumer dash cams due to shocks, vibrations, dust and harvest debris. Some agricultural tractor cameras even have built in heaters to melt snow and ice as they are sometimes used with snow plows. Often your front bucket blocks your view and a camera can help you see.

Finally, "dash cams" for tractors are most often mounted facing the rear to monitor backing up as well as view plowing, tilling or harvesting equipment in action and the operator needs a large enough screen so he/she can see what is happening in real time. Recordings are also important but usually for different reasons than for consumer dash cams except when tractors are out on public roads moving from field to field or field to farm. Not all farming tractor cameras record however. There are 4 channel tractor cam DVR systems available that can monitor in every direction and these usually do record.

tractor cams.jpg

Last edited:
Ring of GPS thieves just busted here, of course coming from a hellhole EU country to do their deed here.
Agricultural NAV equipment the target, and they had A LOT of it.

Also it seem side mirrors for high end cars also can sell for a pretty penny on the black market, apparently these can have astronomical prices.

Back