Turns on and off constantly

Of late some manufacturers have started fitting deep power sockets. I have a few fag socket USB converters and half of them don't work or produce a 'make and break' situation because the pin doesn't fully reach the bottom.

I wouldn't have thought power cables disintegrate with time, but I'm no expert.

The power plug on these cables is slim enough and long enough to comfortably reach to the bottom of the socket so that is not the issue. I did notice the centre contact in the socket had become quite dirty so I cleaned it up but that didn't help. Both mine and my daughter's cables worked for at least six months before starting to give problems. They don't 'disintegrate' but if the electronics is badly designed, e.g. runs too hot, or poorly manufactured, e.g. badly soldered, they can deteriorate over time, become intermittent, or just fail suddenly. Bad solder joints can build up corrosion over time, increasing their resistance. In these cables the electronic regulator includes a current-limiting circuit. This uses a very low value resistor to sense the current. It's value is 18 milliohms, so if there is even a slightly poor solder joint adding to the resistance it could restrict the current that the unit can supply. This is one possible explanation for the failure.

My cable actually started working again for a few days then failed again. The replacement cable is working fine, so far. It remains to be seen for how long.

Last edited:
Of late some manufacturers have started fitting deep power sockets. I have a few fag socket USB converters and half of them don't work or produce a 'make and break' situation because the pin doesn't fully reach the bottom.

The power plug on these cables is slim enough and long enough to comfortably reach to the bottom of the socket

giggity :p

I have not come back to this post as i have been really busy and I discovered what was causing the issue, the anti static ferrite core thing on the power cable kept moving too far or close to the camera.
This moved because the next to useless suction cup is always unsticking, which leaves the bracket hanging down, putting pressure on the connection to the unit from the cable and moving the ferrite core out of the area that stops static.

Today though in the hot weather it kept turning off, as the magnet did not seem to be strong enough to keep it in place at 70 mph on our cr#ppy roads, any vibration and the camera would turn off.

NextBase please can you supply me a permanent sticker to replace the suction cup as that would resolve the constant unsticking, also a new bracket unit as the constant hanging off of the windscreen seems to have done something to the connection port, as connection on that seems to go too.

moving the ferrite core out of the area that stops static

I think you're labouring under a misapprehension here. The position of the ferrite core is not critical and it certainly couldn't be "too close to the camera". In fact the instructions say that it can be removed completely if electrical interference is not a problem.

You're right about the suction cup though. This type of mount does get less effective with age - all of ours have fallen off at least once - and the adhesive type is a lot better. It also takes up less space. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the weight of the camera plus mount hanging on the connector could cause it to become unreliable.

I must say I haven't had any problems with the magnetic mount on either of our own two cams and haven't had any complaints from my daugter or son about this aspect of theirs.

The 'thing' with the adhesive mount is to, clean the glass with alcohol/meths/white spirit, whatever, let it dry, stick with pressure, not use it for 24hrs, keep the sun off it, so the adhesive can cure.

When I removed my 412 pad it was well stuck and was 'going nowhere'.

You're right about the suction cup though. This type of mount does get less effective with age - all of ours have fallen off at least once - and the adhesive type is a lot better. It also takes up less space. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the weight of the camera plus mount hanging on the connector could cause it to become unreliable.

I must say I haven't had any problems with the magnetic mount on either of our own two cams and haven't had any complaints from my daugter or son about this aspect of theirs.

It's exactly this problem, the connector where the mini USB fits loses connection constantly, the magnetic connection only loses it on really hot days 33C and over.

I contacted customer support as per Tifanny, yet they want me to pay to send the camera back to them.

All I want is a new mount, to fix the issue the suction cup falling off the windscreen created by putting pressure on the mini USB port and also a sticker to stop the same problem happening in the future.

@annoyedwithNextbase we asked you to send it in because the screen was cracked? We can send you a suction cup that isn't a problem, that doesn't solve the cracked screen though?

I have your address, a new mount is on its way (with adhesive part).

Last edited:
Thank you Tiffany.

The new mount magnet connection is much stronger, there was a lot of play on my old one from new.

The sticker will stop wear on the other connection as it hopefully won't fall off the screen.

thanks

My new nextbase 212G HD is doing exactly the same thing it has a 64gb SanDisk SD card. May try re booting it on laptop today & try new brand sd see if that helps if not I’ll not I’ll take back to argos & get a full refund

My camera now doesn't work at all, it won't turn on at all. It's hard wired using the official NextBase hard wire kit.

I have an insurance premium which was discounted due to having a dashcam, so Nextbase better send me a new camera pretty quick.

I've had nothing but issues from day one with my NextBase 312gw it's quite an expensive camera (£75+) compared to the £10 ones on Ebay or free ones given away in weekend newspapers, yet everyone one I know with a either a free or £10 dashacam have had no issues whatsoever with their dashcams.

However everyone I know with a NextBase camera has issues, it's clearly a Nextbase build quality thing, my brother was bought the same camera at the same time as i was and guess what his doesn't work anymore either.

NextBase this is not on at all, I expect a replacement or some kind of rectification immediately.

In light of the following thread:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/nextbase-312gw-melted.39262/

The fact my camera and my brothers camera are around the same age and with signs of a faulty battery I am hoping we do not experience the samething.........

Last edited:
I have just registered for this website, as I am having the same issue with charging, unfortunately mine happened after the dashcam came off the windscreen and was left hanging, on this occasion. I have previously had this with my first camera, and on this occasion I was told the only way to resolve it was to replace the camera. This after my father had the same issue with the same model with my mother's, and he has advised I post my current e-mail chain on here for help.

I e-mailed support@nextbase.co.uk explaining in detail the issues I was experiencing (this included an issue with the screen coming on with a white tinge, although this has been resolved. I have since had a closure notification, at which point I raised the charging issue again. Unfortunately the technical support person I have been dealing with seems to think the camer needs a possible repair, but it seems strange that my issue only happened after the camera fell off the windscreen, stretching the cable. Incidentally my first camer kept falling off the windscreen, and I suspect this has caused the problem. I am now being asked for all the same information I have already given, voluntarily, in my lengthy initial e-mails, and that they wish me to give this, so that I can have my camera sent off for a quotation for repair, which I suspect maybe a waste of time, if my suspicion is correct, that it is the cable.

I feel like I am either being ignored (they aren't reading my e-mail properly), or because I am a woman, I don't know what I am talking about.

I know thatit is not the SD card either, as it is a Nextbase SD Card.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

I have just registered for this website, as I am having the same issue with charging, unfortunately mine happened after the dashcam came off the windscreen and was left hanging, on this occasion. I have previously had this with my first camera, and on this occasion I was told the only way to resolve it was to replace the camera. This after my father had the same issue with the same model with my mother's, and he has advised I post my current e-mail chain on here for help.

I e-mailed support@nextbase.co.uk explaining in detail the issues I was experiencing (this included an issue with the screen coming on with a white tinge, although this has been resolved. I have since had a closure notification, at which point I raised the charging issue again. Unfortunately the technical support person I have been dealing with seems to think the camer needs a possible repair, but it seems strange that my issue only happened after the camera fell off the windscreen, stretching the cable. Incidentally my first camer kept falling off the windscreen, and I suspect this has caused the problem. I am now being asked for all the same information I have already given, voluntarily, in my lengthy initial e-mails, and that they wish me to give this, so that I can have my camera sent off for a quotation for repair, which I suspect maybe a waste of time, if my suspicion is correct, that it is the cable.

I feel like I am either being ignored (they aren't reading my e-mail properly), or because I am a woman, I don't know what I am talking about.

I know thatit is not the SD card either, as it is a Nextbase SD Card.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Hi,

I'm really sorry that you're not having the best time with us. Would you mind DMing me your email address? I'd like to look in to this for you.

Ash.

I also have the same problem and its bloody annoying. Sods law dictates something will happen just as the dashcam is not working.
Two things seem to happen.
1. The camera constantly turns itself on and off again. You get the nextbase blue screen, then it dies, then you get the blue screen, then it dies, and so on, constantly.
2. If you disconnect the power and plug it back in it works for a few seconds then gives you a screen saying error with SD card and that you need to do this. You do that and a few seconds later it repeats. It does this regardless of the card I put in.

It doesnt do any of this if I plug in to the 12v power socket. However, this is not a solution as I dont want wires dangling in front of me or getting caught on the gear stick and as I have to drive all over the country, the 12v is for my sat nav.

I believe it is the hardwire kit not the camera itself.
Where people have suggested the SD card. I happen to have several and have tried them all, same issues.

I've also had the issue of the camera falling off the windscreen in hot weather. The problem with the power has happened a few times, but there does seem to be a bit of a pattern to finding the camera dangling from the cord and the power problems starting up.

Last edited:
I think you've diagnosed your problem, the cable has become faulty.

You used to be able to get a 3M adhesive pad to replace the suction mount that does fall off, but unfortunately they've sold out:

I was bought a 312GW for Christmas, I hard wired it with the genuine Next Base hardwire kit and the camera was working ok, well apart from always recording even with parking mode switched off, got round that by disconnecting it and taking inside with me every night.

Anyway, last weekend it started turning itself off whilst driving then turning itself back on, on and off constantly. I took it off and charged it from the mains for two hours as I initially thought it was the battery. However this didn't help, as it carried on constantly turning on and off.

Last night I returned it to the store it was purchased from who offered me a refund or a replacement, as I have hardwired it I opted for the replacement. They gave me a brand new one.

This morning as I drove to work the brand new one started doing the same thing as the last one, this time at faster intervals than the old one, what is going on?

Is there a known fault with these?

Do I return it to the store tonight and ask for a refund and steer well clear of anything made by Next Base in the future?
Hi guys so my nextbase 312 was turning off on off on wen it was in the box i discovered it was the g sensor setting mine was set to medium iv turned it off problem solved i read you guys thought it might be the sd cards and other issues even returned for replacements but just go into settings find the g sensor seting and switch it off job done regards jon

The purpose of the G sensor is to automatically capture the events leading up to a collision that may leave you incapacitated, stop recording and protect the SD contents. Turning it off will prevent this. If your cam was so sensitive on the medium setting I would suspect it has a fault.

Since the power cable was replaced on my 312GW it has had no further problems. The same is true of my daughter's cam. I think there must have been a defective batch of cables.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 312GW 9
Back