UHD rear cameras

DJ70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900X Plus-2CH, DR900S-2CH.
Most 2-cam set ups are UHD front but only FHD rear. Having searched I can't find any with UHD rear. Am I missing something are they not produced?

Reason I ask is that my rear screen has the factory privacy glass which obviously darkens the camera image, consequently reducing the clarity of detail. I suspect, rightly or wrongly, that UHD would improve that.

I dont think resolution do much for tint in the back, but compensating for that with the EV value should be good.

A 229 duo from viofo are 1440p resolution front and rear, Vantrue E2 the same, there are quite a few of these around using the IMX 335 sensor front & rear
We will probablyy also see these with the new starvis 2 sensors in the form of the IMX 675 sensor, that will for sure be it, as that perform much better than its old sibling IMX 335

Dual 4 K cameras that is still some way in the future.

On the contrary, lower resolution means bigger pixels and better low light sensitivity

If they use AHD for the rear camera, it will be capped at FHD 1080p (25fps?), the 2MP 16:9 IMX307 should be better at low light than the 5MP 4:3 IMX335 as per Sony specs.

Maybe one day we will see IMX662 Starvis 2MP cameras
What about getting an external one and mounting it outside? That's what I plan to do with my 70mai.

If the rear screen is very dark, 4K will not help to get more details at night.
Installing the rear cam outside will hugely improve the quality.

The screen is factory fitted/tinted so is not very dark.
The 900x+ has no setting for EV. Something BlackVue has been asked to address, but as yet failed.
I don't want a cam stuck on the outside for a number of reasons.

If they can make 4k fronts, they can make 4k rears. It can only be down to manufacturers choices.

Seems the status quo remains :(

If they can make 4k fronts, they can make 4k rears. It can only be down to manufacturers choices.
You can fit a 4K single channel to the rear and have 2 4K cameras front and rear, that gives you redundancy in the case of a fault, and twice the memory card capacity.

Not sure if that causes a problem with Blackvue cameras because of internet connections, but I have no problem running Viofo front cameras on the rear and getting front camera quality at both ends of the car.

Like I said, part of the issue is carrying the 4k signal back to the front camera, with AHD being limited to 1080p.

They'll have to move to HD-TVI or HD-CVI, I guess it boils down to cost and compatibility of the SoC/chipsets
What are other manufacturers currently using for their rear camera?

On the contrary, lower resolution means bigger pixels and better low light sensitivity

If they use AHD for the rear camera, it will be capped at FHD 1080p (25fps?), the 2MP 16:9 IMX307 should be better at low light than the 5MP 4:3 IMX335 as per Sony specs.

Maybe one day we will see IMX662 Starvis 2MP cameras
What about getting an external one and mounting it outside? That's what I plan to do with my 70mai.
Looking good with cameras such as the new A229 Pro where the rear is better than IMX662, they using IMX675

Right, the Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 is a huge improvement over the IMX335, it's still a smaller 5MP 4:3 1/2.8" sensor with 2um pixel size, Sony gives it an SNR1s of 0.3 (low light performance metric), which is twice as good as the IMX335's 0.6 whereas the older IMX307 with 2.9um pixel size is rated at 0.24.

For reference the 2MP IMX327 is rated 0.17

Right, the Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 is a huge improvement over the IMX335, it's still a smaller 5MP 4:3 1/2.8" sensor with 2um pixel size, Sony gives it an SNR1s of 0.3 (low light performance metric), which is twice as good as the IMX335's 0.6 whereas the older IMX307 with 2.9um pixel size is rated at 0.24.

For reference the 2MP IMX327 is rated 0.17
The numbers don't lie. Don't get me wrong the imx335 was very reliable in my old Viofo a119 v3 but these new Starvis 2 are game changers. Enjoying the imx678 in my Nexus 4 Pro (front) but interesting to see what the total package turns out to be in the new A229 Pro and Plus models

You can fit a 4K single channel to the rear and have 2 4K cameras front and rear, that gives you redundancy in the case of a fault, and twice the memory card capacity.

Not sure if that causes a problem with Blackvue cameras because of internet connections, but I have no problem running Viofo front cameras on the rear and getting front camera quality at both ends of the car.
That is an option I guess, however it slightly misses the point. The solution would be for manufacturers to create front and rear at 4K.
It's as though they don't consider rear images as vital as front :unsure:

The solution would be for manufacturers to create front and rear at 4K.
It's as though they don't consider rear images as vital as front :unsure:
Tends to reflect the customer's views!
There are a lot of people buy 1 single channel dashcam, and for some reason they always mount them facing the front...

There is also an issue with the technology not currently allowing remote 4K cameras, at least not at reasonable prices.

Back