UK police force to use dash cam evidence

For someone law only apply if there see police on the road. So it might be a good idea, but I also can imagine police get bombarded with all kind of small thing.

They always did use dashcam footage,

just made it easier to make it available to them..

Win win for the police as they receive evidence, and start a prosecution knowing they have the evidence to convict and expect that will make their crime statistics look bloomin marvellous !!!! :D

Of course it will be rolled out nationwide...

To motor bikers and sports car drivers > get a lada or a moped or drive in the dead of night, as you sure wont be risking what you have been when you pass a car on the road now !

I suggested this a few years ago when a friend was retired on medical grounds. many, many years of good police work, got an injury from some scumbags so retired out of the force.
People like this could do the work from anywhere, my mate could be home-based - all the vids could be uploaded to a 'youtube' style website where only the uploader can view their own clip & police can view all.
Obviously some clips would be dismissed immediately as genuine mistakes but there's going to be the deliberate speeding, swapping lanes, undertaking types.
The levels of fines could be as they are now but with an additional £50 to cover wages, admin etc.

I see bad driving everyday as i am on the road around 8 hours being cut up, undertaking tailgating, you name it its probably happens to me a couple of times a week, i have reported a bad driver once in 15 years as a driving instructor so having evidence and being able to upload it to the police would suit me but not for petty things.

I see bad driving everyday as i am on the road around 8 hours being cut up, undertaking tailgating, you name it its probably happens to me a couple of times a week, i have reported a bad driver once in 15 years as a driving instructor so having evidence and being able to upload it to the police would suit me but not for petty things.
It's the definition of "petty things" though.
For some/many drivers, these things have a tendancy to snowball. They bend a rule & get away with it then bend some more & keep bending until they break the rule - ooh, this is fun, let's see what else I can do...
We are all, supposedly, taught to a standard yet looking at the standard of driving on our roads, either driving tests are now a formality or we have more loonies on the roads - I suspect the latter.

I don't know if this happened to everyone else but I, for one, started driving even better after installing a dashcam. Although many of us forget that it's there when driving, I think that subconsciously we're all aware that our own actions are being recorded too.

I don't know if this happened to everyone else but I, for one, started driving even better after installing a dashcam. Although many of us forget that it's there when driving, I think that subconsciously we're all aware that our own actions are being recorded too.
Can't say I drive any better as I've always been pretty conservative in that regard (as least since 'growing up') but I have noticed that I tend to not say what I'm thinking as much as I used to. :eek:

Can't say I drive any better as I've always been pretty conservative in that regard (as least since 'growing up') but I have noticed that I tend to not say what I'm thinking as much as I used to. :eek:
Well, I have to admit that I was, let's say, not very careful speedwise and always closer to the vehicle in front than I should be. ;)

As for the talking, it only took me two days of dashcamming to realize that I probably shouldn't be as talkative as I was, mainly because all my subscribers were English speakers, so I had to translate everything I said or start speaking in English, which would be a dumb thing to do!:D

Well i was starting to slow down way before i got a dashcam, but i do think it beeing there help even more.

I still have some problems, for the most indicator use, and yellow light mean stop and not floor it.

Lucky for me i am still crazy enuff that i can see the erros of my way, and give myself a good verbal spanking when i have been a dumbass.
It do happen i put a clip of myself beeing a dumbass in one of my youtube uploads, kinda have to do that as i offcourse expect the same from myself i expect from other ppl.

Well i was starting to slow down way before i got a dashcam, but i do think it beeing there help even more.

I still have some problems, for the most indicator use, and yellow light mean stop and not floor it.

Lucky for me i am still crazy enuff that i can see the erros of my way, and give myself a good verbal spanking when i have been a dumbass.
It do happen i put a clip of myself beeing a dumbass in one of my youtube uploads, kinda have to do that as i offcourse expect the same from myself i expect from other ppl.
:)

I stopped swearing at tailgaters, now I can just post them on Youtube.

I stopped swearing at tailgaters, now I can just post them on Youtube.
Me too but not before spraying them with washer fluid to make them get off my back! :D

I've recorded some classic shockingly poor examples of driving over the past few weeks, seems that chevrons marking out no-go areas are just fine for overtaking by impatient drivers. Absolutely stupid when the markings are there to protect oncoming traffic turning right. Installing a central bollard would well and truly shaft them and that is what some road planners are now having to do.

Must admit I don't swear so much now that the dash cam is fitted, even though I sometimes use MPEG Streamclip to edit the video footage and mute the audio on my Mac as and when necessary.

I've recorded some classic shockingly poor examples of driving over the past few weeks, seems that chevrons marking out no-go areas are just fine for overtaking by impatient drivers. Absolutely stupid when the markings are there to protect oncoming traffic turning right. Installing a central bollard would well and truly shaft them and that is what some road planners are now having to do.

Must admit I don't swear so much now that the dash cam is fitted, even though I sometimes use MPEG Streamclip to edit the video footage and mute the audio on my Mac as and when necessary.

Installing a central bollard SPIKES would well and truly shaft them. :p

As cars become safer, people seem to want to try to use that safety capacity up in their daily driving. People still die in 40MPH crashes, even when they did everything right. That happened near here twice in the last week :(

I've often said the way to make drivers behave properly is to place a small bomb under the driver's seat which will go off in any hard impact- when they know a small mistake will positively kill them nobody will make even a small mistake :rolleyes: It would get the bad drivers off the roads forever and quickly too. It would also take some innocent lives but there would be a great reduction of that compared to now. I have yet to hear of anything else which could feasibly do better; if you have such an idea let me know and I'll go with that instead.

Until then be careful on the road and always leave yourself a way out of trouble so the next statistic isn't you!

Phil

Perhaps it's the libertarian in me, but does no one else have a problem with the underlying premise here? That government is encouraging its citizens to spy on, snitch out, or otherwise police each other on their behalf? In the US, it's 'see something, say something'.

Saddam Hussein used this same tactic in Iraq to maintain an iron grip on his people. An Iraqi exile co-worker of mine was tortured for two years (has no finger or toe nails left, acid burns all over his legs, etc) because he had spray painted "Down with Saddam" on a public monument. Police didn't see him do it - but a citizen ratted him out. Admittedly, it wasn't the brightest move, and I don't agree with graffiti or defacing public property, but I also don't like it when government encourages spies among us. They have enough cops as it is.

Unfortunately, the masses are easily persuaded that it's for the greater good. It's always by using an emotionally charged issue like road rage, cell phone drivers, and the like - something we've all experienced, and all wished a cop had just seen it... But the fact remains we cannot trust our fellow citizen. That has a huge chilling effect.

Back