Unable to fully charge Git2 battery

Fyl

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Folks, recently noticed my Git2 can't be charged to max. When I power it on it shows 2 bars short of full.

Anyone encountered something similar?

Thanks.

Last edited:
How cold is the battery, what firmware version does your camera have ?

Batt is normal temp. Around 28 degrees c. I am on the equator. Git2 firmware is v1.6 1028. Thanks

Try to take the battery out and then insert it again, you may feel a bit of resistance push it a bit more and it will get in 1-2 mm more.

Checked. It is properly inserted.

Do you have a different charger ? Maybe the one you have used it's not outputting as it should.

I have tried another charger as well. Power bank as well as wall charger. Use to work just fine. Tried other cables as well.

Correction about the green LED light, it doesn't come on. Always just red blinking when charging. When I unplugged it, the green LED in front will come on for a second and off. Thats it.

I have readed this issue many times, but there's always a common factor: users not following the manufacturer recommended charging method.

I believe this low quality batteries can be damaged easily using chargers and powerbanks (depending of its output power). Probably many people can say this doesn't damage the batteries but i disagree, everytime people faces battery problems they say they used powerbanks or external chargers (not from manufacturer). For me it's not coincidence.

While i have my Git2 i never faced this problem and i always charged using PC USB 2.0 method.

If you don't follow the rules, don't blame then.
How can you use something that doesn't exist? My GitUp cameras didn't come with chargers, just USB cables.

Guess what, I switched over from a 1A charging port to 2.4A charging port on my USB charger hub and it was able to charge it fully! Will need to do a few more tests to confirm. Will update. Thanks.

Guess what, I switched over from a 1A charging port to 2.4A charging port on my USB charger hub and it was able to charge it fully! Will need to do a few more tests to confirm. Will update. Thanks.

I believe that a camera which has less than 1000mAh battery should never require more than 1.0A charging current, heck even phones with two to three times bigger batteries charge well with 1.0A chargers. My first Git2 was charging completely ok with 1.5A powerbank and with well build Anker 4 port USB charger (which according to specs can output 2.4A on each port). But as this camera got broken and replaced I received a second camera which will not charge at all with any charger, only the charging lights are blinking. Thefore following the comments here I've come to a conclusion that some of the cameras have either bad quality or completely faulty capacitors on the charging circuitry.

Btw @Fyl it seems that you are already aware of this issue:
http://www.gitup.com/forum/index.php?threads/gitup-git2-battery-never-fully-charged.305/

Last edited:
Also possible that chargers have falsely advertised output numbers... So one possibility is that the "1A" port being used at first wasn't delivering 1A, and the new one is either actually delivering up to 2.1A or is just providing more steady power than the other...

Another possibility is the first charger is dying and can only provide enough power to put half a charge on the battery before it quits working... One way to test would be to try charging with the old charger for about 2 hours, then unplug the charger from the wall and wait an hour or two for it to completely cool down then try charging again and see if you get more juice into the battery.

It require less 1A for charging, we recommend charge the battery via connecting the camera with computer, and turn off the camera while charging.
It will not be charged unless if it is too hot.

The battery factory we worked with is a not a small factory, they have lots of experience for battery production, they also supply battery for military and industry.

Recently I got an action camera sample from another factory, it is even not allowed recording while charging due to avoid over heating for battery.

Also possible that chargers have falsely advertised output numbers... So one possibility is that the "1A" port being used at first wasn't delivering 1A, and the new one is either actually delivering up to 2.1A or is just providing more steady power than the other...

Another possibility is the first charger is dying and can only provide enough power to put half a charge on the battery before it quits working... One way to test would be to try charging with the old charger for about 2 hours, then unplug the charger from the wall and wait an hour or two for it to completely cool down then try charging again and see if you get more juice into the battery.

It require less 1A for charging, we recommend charge the battery via connecting the camera with computer, and turn off the camera while charging.
It will not be charged unless if it is too hot.

The battery factory we worked with is a not a small factory, they have lots of experience for battery production, they also supply battery for military and industry.

Recently I got an action camera sample from another factory, it is even not allowed recording while charging due to avoid over heating for battery.

Lol. So you think it is likely that all the people in the thread complaining about Git2 not charging have underpowered chargers or do not know how to charge their electronic devices correctly?

Last edited:
Yesterday i used a ampheremeter to see how much ampere is coming out from my carcharger all the way to the "recording" gitup git1 camera. The car charger is a good brand and first i got 0.3 a with noname mini usb cable, then i plugged in original gitup mini usb cable and got 0.5a, and then i tried a sony micro usb cable to see how much it would produce and i got 0.95a when charing my android phone.

I think the mini usb power/data cable that is coming with the gitup cameras should be tested more. So if there is anyone out there that have plenty of different mini usb cables and a ampheremeter, please test further and see your results. Is it the gitup mini usb cable that is providing less then 1a or is the camera that deny more input of charge.

I have problem when using Gitup as a dashcam. They are recording regurarly and all the time in my companycars but i have problem with the battery loosing charge and self-draining in some of the cars, all equiped with gitup git1 dashcam..

Yes the supplied cable is not the best one, it does the job but you get better charge performance with better ones. It's important to look at the AWG thickness stamped on on it, the lower the number, the better.

Yes the supplied cable is not the best one, it does the job but you get better charge performance with better ones. It's important to look at the AWG thickness stamped on on it, the lower the number, the better.

Of course there are cables which have lower resistance and can conduct more current, but the thing is that even high resistance cables (bad quality or very long) can usually conduct sufficient amount of current, it just affects to the charging time. Surely there are devices which do not accept low current like iPad but this is to my understanding a software limitation, not hardware.

Or, to give example of my experience, my charger can sufficiently charge iPad (with a cheap 3rd party cable) which requires 2A (if my memory serves me right) but not Git2 (got three different kind of mini-USB cables which work perfectly fine with other devices).

Last edited:
I have both a git1 and 2 and have not had any charging issues. I've used USB power banks, several different phone chargers (Motorola, Samsung, anker, generic), and a few different computers (laptops and desktops) and all worked fine and fully charged the battery directly in the camera. I also have one of the sj4000 dual battery chargers and it works fine even charging two batteries at once on various power sources.

I don't normally charge from the PC, laptop or the cheap generic chargers anymore because it takes too long compared to the 2.1A and 3A chargers I have. And since the cheap generic chargers don't charge our phones or tablets at all or do so extremely slowly (even when labeled as 1.2-2A) I've started throwing them away as we get newer/better quality ones.

I also have a large colection of chargers and from notorious ones labeled 3A that barely outputs 0.5A to modest 2.4A that output close to it's specifications. I have 3 Git2 ad a Git1, they all charge normaly but i'm using better quality cables and not somthing ecpensive, fore exemple a very good qality cable is from an old BlackBerry phone :)

Back