unable to use 64gb micro SD

handyguy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have tried to internally format a a SANdisk 64gb class 10 card in the camera, but the 'processing' message during formatting never ends (i let it run for 10 minutes.) If i power down/up, it will not record on it. 32gb cards work fine.

Thank-you!
I installed SmartDisk_FAT32_tool, formatted FAT32, and now it works.

I'll be trying this myself this morning. Same card I think, formatted exFAT with the SDFormat.org tools from a computer isn't being written to. Will report back if I can also get it to work.

[EDIT] Yep, that was it. Clearly I've got a lot to pick up. I just assumed exFAT would be expected. Next finding a good viewer etc. since I can't format the 64GB in camera and get their viewer s/w on it.

Last edited:
I'll be trying this myself this morning. Same card I think, formatted exFAT with the SDFormat.org tools from a computer isn't being written to. Will report back if I can also get it to work.

[EDIT] Yep, that was it. Clearly I've got a lot to pick up. I just assumed exFAT would be expected. Next finding a good viewer etc. since I can't format the 64GB in camera and get their viewer s/w on it.
http://www.registratorviewer.com

Can someone confirm that a 64GByte exFAT externally formatted card fully works in the camera except for not being able to internally format it...

http://www.registratorviewer.com

Can someone confirm that a 64GByte exFAT externally formatted card fully works in the camera except for not being able to internally format it...
I can confirm it does NOT work, formatted externally as exFAT; the 0803 didn't lock up or anything, menus responded...but it just never started recording. Just got a 'beep' pressing the OK button.

Using the SmartDisk Fat32 format tool mentioned above, formatted externally, reinserted, and camera started recording just fine on power-up. Got 59 min of recording this morning on way to work (yes, that's about my daily commute. Sigh.)

Thanks for the link btw...already downloaded and used to view my test videos after the reformat (@ kitchen table, not in-car yet, so no way to check GPS info etc. yet. Will do that with today's recordings after I get home...)

I can confirm it does NOT work, formatted externally as exFAT; the 0803 didn't lock up or anything, menus responded...but it just never started recording. Just got a 'beep' pressing the OK button.
Ahh, that makes more sense, that is exactly what I found with a 32GByte exFAT card.

It would be good to have proper confirmation that a 64GByte externally formatted FAT32 card does actually work fully and recycle the files once full, seems likely but there did seem to be some doubt at one time...

Ahh, that makes more sense, that is exactly what I found with a 32GByte exFAT card.

It would be good to have proper confirmation that a 64GByte externally formatted FAT32 card does actually work fully and recycle the files once full, seems likely but there did seem to be some doubt at one time...
My drive to and from work today took about 15GB at my present data settings. Should be able to tell you if it rolls over correctly after the morning commute on Weds.

Confirmed. Did enough driving over the weekend it rolled over today.

Does microSDXC work?
Or does only microSDHC work in this dash cam?

Does microSDXC work?
Yes. The difference between the two is that microSDXC cards come pre-formatted in exFAT format while microSDHC come pre-formatted in FAT32 format. exFAT does not work but if you reformat your microSDXC card with FAT32 format then it will work. I guess technically your XC card then becomes an HC card so the correct answer to your question is no!

I've always wondered if there's actually a hardware difference between SDXC and SDHC, but been too lazy to search. Including today. :) That said, I've seen the occasional 'low speed card' warning although mine is a 64GB Sandisk Ultra SDXC, but as I'm slowly coming to the conclusion I had serious intermittent power issues (see heat sink thread) I'm not ready to blame my card yet.

I've always wondered if there's actually a hardware difference between SDXC and SDHC, but been too lazy to search. Including today. :) That said, I've seen the occasional 'low speed card' warning although mine is a 64GB Sandisk Ultra SDXC, but as I'm slowly coming to the conclusion I had serious intermittent power issues (see heat sink thread) I'm not ready to blame my card yet.
The hardware difference is in the addition of UHS, but that was added to both the HC and XC specs and is optional on both so I believe the difference is just the format and the label.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GrooveClip Mini 0803 4
P Mini 0803 30
N Mini 0803 3
Back