Unsure how to use this hardwire kit's fuse

akaBruce

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I'm learning how to hardwire a dashcam. I understand the general principles, however the kit I bought has the fuse connector directly on it.

Do I just install this on empty fuse slots that are constant powered/accessory? Or will I need to cut that connector and buy a separate add-a-fuse connector?

hardwire kit.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
It seems like you would just plug it into an available fuse slot for constant and accessory power. However, I would pull the fuse out and look at the inside of the connector to see how it's wired. Did the hardwire kit not come with instructions?

It seems like you would just plug it into an available fuse slot for constant and accessory power. However, I would pull the fuse out and look at the inside of the connector to see how it's wired. Did the hardwire kit not come with instructions?
Thanks for answering.

Unfortunately not. I contacted the seller and they don't seem to understand it much either and recommended that their dashcams be installed professionally.

I would like to install this myself but I'm just concerned that something might short and burn because these connectors don't have any amperage ratings on them.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering.

Unfortunately not. I contacted the seller and they don't seem to understand it much either and recommended that their dashcams be installed professionally.

I would like to install this myself but I'm just concerned that something might short and burn because these connectors don't have any amperage ratings on them.
Welcome @akaBruce Great alias lol

I’m not familiar with fuse connectors but I am with electronic.

If your handy you can install it.

Could you answer some simple questions.

Is there a slot in the top to allow you to add the fuse that is being replaced?

Are the pins about the same thickness as the fuse pins?

Are you able to take a closeup without the bag etc.

Cheers.

They look like replacement fuses with cables attached, in which case you just plug them in as a replacement for the original fuse.

However you should only do so if the fuse rating is the same as the original. What is the fuse rating on those?

Welcome @akaBruce Great alias lol

I’m not familiar with fuse connectors but I am with electronic.

If your handy you can install it.

Could you answer some simple questions.

Is there a slot in the top to allow you to add the fuse that is being replaced?

Are the pins about the same thickness as the fuse pins?

Are you able to take a closeup without the bag etc.

Cheers.
Hi there, thanks for the welcome!
No slot on the hardwire kit connectors
I haven't had a chance to open my car's fuse box to take a look yet
Here are some more pictures
IMG_20211215_223455.jpg
IMG_20211215_223428.jpg
They look like replacement fuses with cables attached, in which case you just plug them in as a replacement for the original fuse.

However you should only do so if the fuse rating is the same as the original. What is the fuse rating on those?
Right, I have asked the sellers if they can provide those details as I can't see it on the manual or on the kit

Hi there, thanks for the welcome!
No slot on the hardwire kit connectors
I haven't had a chance to open my car's fuse box to take a look yet
Here are some more pictures
View attachment 59342
View attachment 59341

Right, I have asked the sellers if they can provide those details as I can't see it on the manual or on the kit

They’re not the best design.
What happens when the fuse blows?

A work around is to cut the fuses off and put inline fuses on them and connect them directly to the suitable wiring.

In-line fuse:

They’re not the best design.
What happens when the fuse blows?

A work around is to cut the fuses off and put inline fuses on them and connect them directly to the suitable wiring.

In-line fuse:
Or an add-a-fuse kit too I assume?

Yes, I would use an add-a-fuse, cut those off, strip a little insulation off, crimp the add a fuse to the bare copper end, and put the original car fuse in the bottom slot, a 2A, or 5A fuse in the top (accessory) slot, and plug it into the fuse box.

Using inline fuses doesn't make sense to me?

They appear to be blue, and blue is normally 5A, which would result in them blowing in many fuse locations, ie when replacing a 10A fuse. Of course they may be 30A so guaranteed not to blow, but that would be a significant safety issue with removing a lot of the protection provided by your fuse box!

A work around
I did say workaround :D
Like these would do the trick
zxOBoKo.jpg

Link to kit
Though he might have been put off by the fuse kit. A fuse kit with the crimps already on them will make it much easier. As I said haven't had much to do with them, I usually splice them into the circuit.
Inline fuses with blown indicators are one option and the fuse kit another.

@akaBruce let us what you end up doing.

Cheers

Yes, I would use an add-a-fuse, cut those off, strip a little insulation off, crimp the add a fuse to the bare copper end, and put the original car fuse in the bottom slot, a 2A, or 5A fuse in the top (accessory) slot, and plug it into the fuse box.

They appear to be blue, and blue is normally 5A, which would result in them blowing in many fuse locations, ie when replacing a 10A fuse. Of course they may be 30A so guaranteed not to blow, but that would be a significant safety issue with removing a lot of the protection provided by your fuse box!
Blue are usually 15A as far as I’ve seen, light brown is usually 5A.
I’m another vote for chop them off and use add a fuse. Also they might not even be the right size fuse for the car in question.

Pardon me, but seeing these my mind nearly snap,,,,, all i get for sure is WTF

Pardon me, but seeing these my mind nearly snap,,,,, all i get for sure is WTF
Haha, well its the hardwire kit provided in the Toguard C200. It's a very budget oriented dashcam

One thing I'm still not sure about is can I install my fuses on empty slots?

Most of the fuses on this row have 30amp fuses, does this mean if I install a 5amp fuse next to it, it'll blow immediately? Is this why we should generally install ontop of an existing, known-rated fuse?
IMG_20211217_174555.jpg

One thing I'm still not sure about is can I install my fuses on empty slots?

Most of the fuses on this row have 30amp fuses, does this mean if I install a 5amp fuse next to it, it'll blow immediately? Is this why we should generally install ontop of an existing, known-rated fuse?
View attachment 59353

The kit I posted previously has 2x fuse holders 1x for the original fuse and the other for the dash cam so you won’t have an issue.

For more clarity see this video

The kit I posted previously has 2x fuse holders 1x for the original fuse and the other for the dash cam so you won’t have an issue.

For more clarity see this video
I think my fuses at least in the low amp range are the mini styles. Would the ones in your link also work?
IMG_20211217_173155.jpg

I think my fuses at least in the low amp range are the mini styles. Would the ones in your link also work?
View attachment 59356

Another link from Amazon.
You may have to search for Australian delivery or try ebay etc.
This link shows the different types.
It will help you work out the correct ones to suit your fuses.

Low Profile Mini Blade Fuse (5 Pack)

Cheers

View attachment 59356
Repco sells them.
A bit pricey but they should do the job.

Take a fuse into the store and get the staff to make sure it fits.

Cheers

Back