Unsure whether I get proper video quality or not???

DangerDane

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I recorded some videos over the weekend from the inside of the taxi I was driving this weekend but I think some of the videos leave something to desired either in regards to clarity or at least exposure settings. Especially the night time shots I have taken leave a bit to desire as the license plates gets completely blanked out by the light.

But the videos are uploaded to znc.swrw.net so if anyone would like to take a pic and offer their comments on it as to whether i get quality I need or its just whats to be expected of the mobius...

how about just post some full res screen shots rather than everyone having to download huge files

night time you're not going to see in the dark, motion blur is an issue when moving and license plates will reflect, that's normal for any camera really

Yeah you are not going to capture any licenceplates at night, not even in a well lit major Danish town.
Actually as soon as the ammount of light start to drop it get harder and harder for any dashcam capturing a licenceplate, even parked cars you pass by at a slow speed will get blurred out as they are in the outer edge of the frame where there is most movement.

Daytime seem valid.
mobius2.jpg

http://peecee.dk/uploads/092015/mobius2.jpg

Nighttime allso seem as expected.
mobius1.jpg

http://peecee.dk/uploads/092015/mobius1.jpg

The reason you cant read the plate on that car in the night footage is all dashcams drop exposure timings at night, and they drop it all the way down to 1:30 second, and thats a really long exposure time for a moving objekt.
It will be the same with a 4X more expensive dashcam, the footage might be a little brighter, but it will still not be enuff to capture plates at night.
That you can allso see at the intersection in the same clip where you are stopped behind another car, but then the plate is washed out as there is too much light from your headlights.
If you have the microfone on many ppl just call out the licenceplate as they see it at night, and even in daytime too.
I dont do that as i dont really bother with those.

Night footage is outright the biggest challenge for any dashcamera, we need more lightsensetive CMOS chips so exposure time can stay above 1:250 second at least.

Some guy invented a way to make 1000X more light sensetive CMOS chips using some graphene nanostuff some where in the regular process of making a CMOS, we can only hope some one soon get that on the marked, it would be huge for dashcams and i figure the price on a NVG would allso drop well below what a 3-4 gen NVG cost these days.

Last edited:
Back