UPDATES?

JWT

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking at a purchase of the U3000. It is now October 10, 2023, has the rear radar camera issue been fixed?

I am looking at a purchase of the U3000. It is now October 10, 2023, has the rear radar camera issue been fixed?
From the sporadic reports of users on here, apparently not. Shame cos looks like they really fudged this release, had a real opportunity with the Starvis 2 sensor.

Last time when Thinkware released the U1000, it took them 1 year to fix an issue (don't remember what it was).

May I suggest upgrading in Summer 2024.

Does thinkware have a community presence anywhere so that they can answer some of these very basic questions. Its really sad that we can't even get a straight answer on whether or not the buyers of U3000 have decective units of not. Or if a firmware fix is on the way.

how is the radar not working for the back camera for me when looking at the app with parking mode on i tested it and hit the the trunk and it worked saw a video with front footage and rear

how is the radar not working for the back camera for me when looking at the app with parking mode on i tested it and hit the the trunk and it worked saw a video with front footage and rear
Have been some tests by folks on here and some have had consistent results some others not. Not sure what the deal is with the rear radar..

Have been some tests by folks on here and some have had consistent results some others not. Not sure what the deal is with the rear radar..
might just be that its it just new product woes but still for the price with that many people having problems is worrying. Possibly they rushed the camera out then, i doubt we will see dash cam recall, hopefully its firmware related not hardware

So what's the verdict? I see Black Friday sale at Amazon...$480 for U3000 with rear cam. So tempted but not if it doesn't work properly.

mishmosh, did you end up buying a dash cam over Black friday? thanks

Yes. Haven't opened it yet. Holiday return policy at Amazon so I have plenty of time to make sure the reat radar works.

Well here's the update: my Sept 23-build U3000 with rear cam does not record rear movement with parking mode set to RADAR. I just sent an email to thinkware support.

Well here's the update: my Sept 23-build U3000 with rear cam does not record rear movement with parking mode set to RADAR. I just sent an email to thinkware support.
U3000 Rear Camera Radar - Not Working - User Error **

I've had problems with the U3000 rear camera radar not detecting any type of movement behind my vehicle. Thinkware support wanted the rear camera and the rear camera cable back to investigate why it was not working. Thinkware shipped me a replacement U3000 rear camera and rear camera cable. After installing the replacement items, the rear camera radar still did not detect any movement in radar parking mode with the radar sensitivity set to "Highest".

I created a mount assembly to mount the U3000 rear camera on the outside of my car's rear window glass. This was to take my car's rear window glass out of the situation. I parked the car out on the street and started my testing. I still have an older U3000 rear camera from my original U3000 2CH. I used the older U3000 rear camera in my first test of the U3000 camera outside of the car. I ran a test with three attempts to trigger the rear camera in radar parking mode each spaced about 90 seconds apart. At the end of each test, I checked the video files on the microSD card.

Here are my tests and their results. Note the "** User Error **" in test 5.
  • Test 1 - Older U3000 Rear Camera - Mounted On Outside Of Rear Window Glass
    • Result - Success
  • Test 2 - Just Received U3000 Rear Camera - Mounted On Outside Of Rear Window Glass
    • Result - Failure
      • No video files were created when I approached the rear of the vehicle.
      • One file set was created when the front camera detected my arrival at the driver side front door - it has been doing this in the past
  • Test 3 - U3000 Front Camera - Mounted On Inside Of Rear Window Glass
    • Result - Success
      • Each time I approached the rear of the car, the U3000 front would create a video file
      • This suggests the window glass is not root cause of the problem.
  • Test 4 - Older U3000 Rear Camera - Mounted On Inside Of Rear Window Glass
    • Result - Success
      • I was beginning to think the new U3000 rear camera was defective (not the case read on).
  • Test 5 - Just Received U3000 Rear Camera - Mounted On Outside Of Rear Window Glass
    • Note - This is a repeat of test 2 and test 2 failed
    • Result - Success
      • I was shocked by this result. I truly expected this test to fail again just as it did in test 2.
    • Investigation
      • I found the rear camera cable end that is inserted in the rear camera USB port was "tight" and more difficult to remove than I remember.
      • ** User Error **
        • It appears in my previous installations of the U3000 rear camera, I may have failed to fully push in the rear camera cable until it click/snaps into place.
        • I never had any warning messages from the U3000 front camera stating the rear camera was connecting/disconnecting.
        • Video was always being recorded.
        • It appears the two most recent U3000 rear camera's were not fully connected to the rear camera cable.
        • When you feel the click/snap of the rear camera cable you have fully inserted the cable.
        • See picture below for the part of the rear camera cable end that must be snapped into place to have a full connection for both video and the radar to work.
  • Test 6 - Just Received U3000 Rear Camera - Mounted On Inside Of Rear Window Glass
    • Note - Rear camera cable was fully inserted into the rear camera USB port
    • Result - Success
  • Test 7 - Just Received U3000 Rear Camera - Mounted On Inside Of Rear Window Glass
    • Note - I routed the U3000 rear camera cable through my car as I would all other cables
    • Result - Success
  • Test 8 - Just Received U3000 Rear Camera - Mounted On Inside Of Rear Window Glass
    • Note - I drove the car to two different parking lots and parked.
    • Result - Success
If your U3000 rear camera is not detecting any movement near the rear of your vehicle while in radar parking mode, check to make sure the rear camera cable is fully inserted into the USB port on the rear camera.

View attachment 69517

I read through that thread entirely and can assure you that the USB cable is fully inserted until the click is heard.

Im about 2 grand into my U3000 setup. I switched from Viofo 139 Pro 3 channel. You'd be smart to stay away from both of these brands. It seems like they'd rather push out new product rather than fix issues with current models. The whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth with dash cams. Especially with most of these companies releasing new models every few months. Its easy to see that they would rather sell you a new and improved model rather than get the current models working as intended.

Oh and stay away from the dash cam specific batteries too. I've had nothing but issues with the PC8 and PC8E. I'd wait til one of the bigger tech companies enters the space and shakes it up.

After asking for pics of my parking mode settings and camera setup (which I sent), thinkware support has been MIA. Im not willing to wait it out hoping for a fix. Will be uninstalling the U3000 package, returning it, and going back too the Q800Pro.

Back