UPS --> battery pack --> Dashcam setup - suggestions?

dyel74

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR600GW, DR3500FHD, Street Guardian SG9665GC
Hi guys,

I bought one of these last night:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141009826764
together with this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271056398087
with the aim of supplementing the charge on my Anypower T-power Plus battery pack when the ignition is off (note: I don't have the Anypower hardwired to the fuse box) and I want to use my dashcams in parking mode.

A diagrammatic representation of my intended setup is below:

SunStone Power UPS --> Anypower T-Power Plus Alpha --> cigarette lighter splitter
-->Blackvue DR600 (Front)
--> Blackvue 3500FHD (Rear)

The Sunstone UPS can be fully charged at home with a wall charger and the intention is that this UPS will be providing a good charge to the Anypower (which in turn will power the dashcams). My journeys are never long enough (usually around 20mins each time) to sufficiently charge up the Anypower, hence the UPS idea.

Would there be any issues with this set up?

Thanks

I've made a UPS using 5V power bank (the one used for charging cell phones on the go) and couple of 5v relays. Some DIY required, but it's fairly simple.
Here are some instructions blog.nagimov.com/uninterruptible-5v-usb-power-supply/
I've spent total of around $20 on it (reused my own power bank)

Hi guys,

I bought one of these last night:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141009826764
together with this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271056398087
with the aim of supplementing the charge on my Anypower T-power Plus battery pack when the ignition is off (note: I don't have the Anypower hardwired to the fuse box) and I want to use my dashcams in parking mode.

A diagrammatic representation of my intended setup is below:

SunStone Power UPS --> Anypower T-Power Plus Alpha --> cigarette lighter splitter
-->Blackvue DR600 (Front)
--> Blackvue 3500FHD (Rear)

The Sunstone UPS can be fully charged at home with a wall charger and the intention is that this UPS will be providing a good charge to the Anypower (which in turn will power the dashcams). My journeys are never long enough (usually around 20mins each time) to sufficiently charge up the Anypower, hence the UPS idea.

Would there be any issues with this set up?

Thanks

If removing your vehicle's battery from the equation of providing a continuous charge to your cams is important, I have not found a better combination than using two (2) Cellink Battery B units. One is the Primary batter and the other is the Extension batter which plugs directly into the Primary. If you don't hard wire the setup directly to your fuse box, which is what you indicated was the case for you, then when your ignition is switched "On" and you use the cigarette lighter socket, both Cellinks will be recharged at 5 amps. If you hard wire (which is what I do), then both Cellinks can take an input charge at 7 amps for the recharging cycle which takes place faster than the 5 amp recharge. When your ignition is switched "Off," both Cellinks provide power for the cameras.

I run two (2) Blackvue cams (front and rear) and one (1) Netgear 815s Aircard as a dedicated mobile hotspot connected to the 2nd Gen Cellink Battery B and Extension Battery. I've never depleted the charge in both Cellinks and my vehicle's 12V battery never takes a hit - so I don't have cold start problems with the vehicle as a result.

The Cellinks have been the most consistently solid component within the entire on-board video surveillance system. I've had to return one Verizon hotspot and both Blackvue 650s cams for better versions (I moved to AT&T's Network instead). Yet, the Cellinks have run like a champions from the day they were both installed and have never given me any problems.

Depending on how the new Blackvue 750s cams perform, I'll be installing two (2) additional 750s Rear Cams (side mounted) for 360-degrees of coverage. Both Cellink Battery Bs will be more than capable of absorbing two new rear cams while still providing adequate charge to the overall system.

FWIW.

Back