USB Cable to Rear Camera Just Short

Thanks for the tip. It was run from the floor back up through the rear door and pillar. For whatever reason, every install guide on my car has it done this way.
Most likely because the floor route avoids any run-ins with airbags that are in the pillars or behind the roof headliner. Another thing to check: Are you sure the cable isn't tangled in other wiring between the hatch grommets? I know that area can be pretty tight and hard to pull the cable through. You don't want to over-stress the other wires as they are often thin and control tail lights and rear cameras - things you want to make sure are working.

One of the reason to route it along the floor is to minimise the risk of the air bag deployment ripping the cable and camera out if in an accident...
Just my opinion but, if I'm in an accident severe enough to deploy the airbags the integrity of the camera cables is the least of my worries.

I'm not the least bit concerned about the cables adversely affecting deployment of the airbags. They deploy with enough force to dislodge the trim panels they're behind so a small cable loosely tucked in that same panel isn't going to have any significant effect. The airbags deploy downward versus outward so the risk of being injured by the cable is very slight.

Reactions: Mtz
I think they are more concerned about damaging the airbag or its mechanism than deployment interference. But, airbags often do deploy in relatively minor accidents.

I think they are more concerned about damaging the airbag or its mechanism than deployment interference.
Airbags are tough - they have to be to withstand the deployment force and trim panel displacement, at least the ones I've handled. A length of unsecured, flexible cable is not going to do them any harm.

Reactions: Mtz
One of the reason to route it along the floor is to minimise the risk of the air bag deployment ripping the cable and camera out if in an accident. One of the reasons used here in the UK
Should always route the cables behind the air bags.

Airbags are tough - they have to be to withstand the deployment force and trim panel displacement, at least the ones I've handled. A length of unsecured, flexible cable is not going to do them any harm.
I'm not talking about the cable being the problem. I'm talking about the installer causing some damage while installing the camera. The likelihood may not be great, but tgey want to avoid any potential liability.

I have a Jeep that I like to take the top off. I am thinking/wondering if a USB-C extension cable for the rear camera would work so I can easily disconnect the rear camera at the point the hard top meets the bed rail?

I have a Jeep that I like to take the top off. I am thinking/wondering if a USB-C extension cable for the rear camera would work so I can easily disconnect the rear camera at the point the hard top meets the bed rail?

Thank you!

Back