USB-C Extension Cable for Rear Camera?

bkinva

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm considering getting an A229 Pro 2CH for a recently purchased 2020 Jeep Wrangler w/ hard top. I'd like to make sure the hard top removal process isn't an issue with the rear camera wiring. My thought was to run the USB-C rear camera wire to the rear of the Jeep, to the same place where the Jeep's standard electrical connection harness runs (and has a quick connect/disconnect bracket to use when the hard top is removed/reinstalled). Then, connect a USB-C extension cable from that point to where the rear camera is mounted on the rear window.

So my questions would be: 1) Would there be any issues with performance of the A229 if I did this? 2) If not, any suggested/specific cables I should be looking at?

Thanks.

So my questions would be: 1) Would there be any issues with performance of the A229 if I did this? 2) If not, any suggested/specific cables I should be looking at?
Someone was asking this question a few days ago.
Viofo's response was an extension will not work, and they now offer 8 & 10 Meter rear cables.
The included one is 6 Meter.
I hope that helps.

Screenshot 2023-11-26 5.24.31 AM.png

Someone was asking this question a few days ago.
Viofo's response was an extension will not work, and they now offer 8 & 10 Meter rear cables.
The included one is 6 Meter.
I hope that helps.
Thanks; must've missed that.

Unfortunately I don't think that'll help as I'm not looking for a longer cable but a way to easily disconnect it vs. having to pull the wire from the trim and replace it each time the hard top is removed/replaced.

Try one of these couplers and another usb c cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0B8X7R7PT
I just got one because i'll be powering my camera from a power stations in the trunk and the included cable is a usb-a>usb-c so i used a 10ft+6ft usb c cable, some of these cheap couplers ones only work one way, so just rotate it around and it connects.

With a longer cable you can route cable along the bottom / floor / panels of the car instead of the more direct over the headliner approach, and hardtop issue should be resolved

I am not sure generic USB C cables would work here, while the power might be according to the USB C pinout specifications ASO, the number of connections / routes in the cable might not be.

I can not recall a single time anyone in here recommended extending a USB cable of any kind, its always get a longer one.

Might be better to use an A139/A139 Pro which uses coax cable, which is far more likely to work with aftermarket cables and a connecter in the middle.
It is not going to be guaranteed to work, but is definitely more likely. With the USB cables, you really want to use Viofo's cables to avoid problems.

Try one of these couplers and another usb c cable
I suppose I could order a few things and try it out before installing, and if it doesn't work just return everything... (although others seem to be advising against using 3rd party USB products with Viofo).

With a longer cable you can route cable along the bottom / floor / panels of the car instead of the more direct over the headliner approach, and hardtop issue should be resolved
But the camera would be mounted on the rear window which would be removed also as it's part of the hardtop. Unless I mount it somewhere else I guess, although not sure where that would be. My thought is that I'd just have to lose the rear camera when the hardtop is off.

Might be better to use an A139/A139 Pro which uses coax cable, which is far more likely to work with aftermarket cables and a connecter in the middle.
I'd consider that. Looks like it has an MCX connector?

Aaaa

Well Danes and Jeeps are not the biggest relatives, they do sell here but still damn rare you see one.

If the rear window and so camera come off with the hardtop, as the camera are not on a mount you can slide it off, you sort of need to buy a #2 one for when you run in summer mode with the wind in the hair, and then as that camera would need to be removable ( i assume to be able to put back on hardtop ) maybe you can stick it to a strong magnet that you then put on some metal

I have actually used magnets for years with rear cameras on my little 5 door mini JAP hatchback, a 1/2 " thick one grap the metal on the hatch frame like a SOB and is not going anywhere, and it also concidental space the camera out just that little that is needed to get it below the lip to which the rear glass is glued.

img_20180412_191843-jpg.37453

Just a little food for your mind to get on with the process, you will of course probably need to have a little slack wire in the back, but as long as it dont pull on the plug that go into the rear camera you should be good.
I assume in summer mode, at speed at least there could maybe also be some wind load on a wire dangling too much.

Yes A139 use MCX connectors, damn small one's, and not something i would consider for frequent plugging in and out, and while i had no problems with it testing the A 139 back in the day i must admit i still have little fait to it, you for sure do not want any slack wire dangling that can pull on the plug.

Stuff like that in summer mode i assume you could handle with a few Velcro ties for something that would work but are not permanent

For hardtops and convertibles, at least with dual channel systems, you probably do need to do come DIY

Some brands actually also offer a rear camera that is waterproof, say to put way out back on your truck, i just dont like that as a lot of crud accumulate back there, and that's OK for a low RES reversing camera, but it will be murder on little detail capture of a dashcam.

Very glad my cheap JAP hatchback have a rear wiper.

I'd consider that. Looks like it has an MCX connector?
MMCX for the A139 cameras. The base A229 has MCX, but I don't think that is recommended now.

a 1/2 " thick one grap the metal on the hatch frame like a SOB and is not going anywhere,
That looks powerful enough to be dangerous!

Using magnets is a good idea, but they don't tend to stick to soft tops very well! Worth considering.

I am not sure generic USB C cables would work here, while the power might be according to the USB C pinout specifications ASO, the number of connections / routes in the cable might not be.
You just have to avoid charging only cables which don't move any data, i'm not sure if viofo is using usb2 or actual usb3 with the camera's but any cable that moves data should work, just trial and error when you have amazon prime.

Last edited:
Thanks; must've missed that.

Unfortunately I don't think that'll help as I'm not looking for a longer cable but a way to easily disconnect it vs. having to pull the wire from the trim and replace it each time the hard top is removed/replaced.
When I needed an extension cord for the rear camera of the T130, I used cable: Something like this.
Will this work with A229 Pro i do not know.

Back