USB car charger is kind of loose [3 ports USB lighter socket / car cigarette lighter]?

germany

Reaction score
Country
Germany
My old car charger was broken, I now bought a triple USB car charger pretty similar to this:

AliExpress Ugreen Car Charger 3 USB Ports

It currently works with my phone, powerbank and of course the dash cam but it's kind of loose, I've made a short video to show you what I mean:

wA4AG0y.gif

Do you guys think that's normal? I'm afraid of driving arround while my dash cam stops recording. :(

The tip spring is too strong. If the tip is removable, the spring from a ball-point pen might work in it's place.

Phil

Thanks for your quick reply.

I will try to open the adapter and will look if I can do anything.

In The packshot the spring looks very long.

adapter.png

Thanks for your quick reply.

I will try to open the adapter and will look if I can do anything.

In The packshot the spring looks very long.

View attachment 33145

I can recommend an option you might consider before going to the extreme of dismantling and rebuilding your USB adapter.

One of the two similar adapters in my vehicle was loose, not because of a spring that was too strong but because the two side springs that make contact within the tube were too weak. (this "might" actually be your problem too!) Whenever I went to remove the USB plugs the whole adapter would come out and the electrical connection could be "iffy" as well.

I applied a small dab of hot glue to each side of the adapter. I then carefully trimmed down the two dabs of glue with an X-acto knife using trial and error until they were just snug and tight when the adapter is inserted in place. The adapter is now rock solid, as is the connection when in use but it can still be removed and reinserted easily (only not so easily as before). The hot glue seems to have just enough of a "rubbery" consistency that it holds well. If I ever wish to return the adapter to its original state, the two dabs of hot glue can easily be removed. This approach might be worth a try first and if it doesn't work for you then you can place the patient on the operating table for major surgery.

Last edited:
I can recommend an option you might consider before going to the extreme of dismantling and rebuilding your USB adapter.

One of the two similar adapters in my vehicle was loose, not because of a spring that was too strong but because the two side springs that make contact within the tube were too weak. (this "might" actually be your problem too!) Whenever I went to remove the USB plugs the whole adapter would come out and the electrical connection could be "iffy" as well.

I applied a small dab of hot glue to each side of the adapter. I then carefully trimmed down the two dabs of glue with an X-acto knife using trial and error until they were just snug and tight when the adapter is inserted in place. The adapter is now rock solid, as is the connection when in use but it can still be removed and reinserted easily (only not so easily as before). The hot glue seems to have just enough of a "rubbery" consistency that it holds well. If I ever wish to return the adapter to its original state, the two dabs of hot glue can easily be removed. This approach might be worth a try first and if it doesn't work for you then you can place the patient on the operating table for major surgery.

Thanks for your detailed and helpull reply, I'm not a goot thickerer so I took the riks by dismanteling and rebuilding the adapter. Luckily the plastic cover didn't broke. :)

Now it works almost fine. If I had to to it again I would let the spring a little longer. Because sometimes the adapter is loosing connection but luckily I see it immediately (most of the time) by hat blue LED on the adapter.
My english is so miserable, I hope it can be understood what I just wrote.

Bevore:
foto1.jpg

After:
foto2.jpg

Back