Use in a second vehicle....

Got the car now and about to try out the new kit. But that has raised another question: On the first car, positioning the cameras was a bit hit and miss and on reflection (no pun intended!) I now know I would have them positioned slightly differently but cant be bothered with the adhesive hassle of moving the mounts. So, for the second car, does anyone know of an easy way to temporarily fix the camera mounts without using the supplied pads so I can try them, and then when happy use the proper pads? TIA

Get a tablet with a large screen, or at least a phone with a good screen, so that you can see the live view clearly via wifi, then park in the sun so that you have some reflections, hold the camera by hand, and move it around.

You can just peel back the corners of the red cover on the sticky pad and use scissors to clip the corners, then stick it to the glass with most of the red cover still in place, should then come off again fairly easily for the first day or two, maybe with the help of a little sunshine on the glass, or a hairdryer to warm the glass. The corners then might not be quite as sticky as in the first use, but the rest will still have full strength.

Got the car now and about to try out the new kit. But that has raised another question: On the first car, positioning the cameras was a bit hit and miss and on reflection (no pun intended!) I now know I would have them positioned slightly differently but cant be bothered with the adhesive hassle of moving the mounts. So, for the second car, does anyone know of an easy way to temporarily fix the camera mounts without using the supplied pads so I can try them, and then when happy use the proper pads? TIA
There is another method.

Use the Transparent Plastic film. This allows you to stick the 3M tape to the transparent film which you can unstick and move the dashcam around until you find the right spot.
Of course you only have the area the Transparent film covers but it is an option.

Here is Viofo link to Transparent film.

Viofo Transparent Film

Thanks both of you. Was just on my way out the door so managed to grab my tablet to try that first. (y)

My experience of the transparent film is that it loses its stick fairly quickly, it is great for a temporary mounting that doesn't leave a mess when removed, but I'm not sure it is very reusable. Maybe some people have a different experience though?

I'm pleased to say the new installation kit is working so just need to make final adjustments to the position of the GPS Mount and the Rear Camera Mount. I have spare adhesive pads (supplied by Viofo) for both and am happy to remove both items from the window glasses and clean them up.
However, I'm not sure how to remove the pads from the two mounts and what to clean up the plastic with? Thinners, white spirit, petrol...?

I'm pleased to say the new installation kit is working so just need to make final adjustments to the position of the GPS Mount and the Rear Camera Mount. I have spare adhesive pads (supplied by Viofo) for both and am happy to remove both items from the window glasses and clean them up.
However, I'm not sure how to remove the pads from the two mounts and what to clean up the plastic with? Thinners, white spirit, petrol...?
The adhesive will usually just pull off. Sometimes rolling it onto itself with your thumb works well. Clean the plastic with rubbing alcohol.

Back