Using Git2 as a dash cam - where to mount it?

Crocodil

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi,

Is anyone here using the GitUp Git2 as a dash cam? I've bought the camera and I wanted to use it occasionally in my car so I've bought the original car mount as well. I'm not sure where and how it's best to mount it and I would be grateful for any pointers... :)

I guess a good place is behind the rear view mirror or next to it on the passenger's side, but then the charging cable would be dangling all the way down to the lighter/charger. I know that for dedicated dash cams people use a longer cable and guide it all the way to the mirror so that it's hidden, but I will be using the camera in car only once or twice a month for longer trips and I'm not sure if it's worth the work...

I've tried placing the camera very low on the windshield - the cable is not in the way but 1/3 of the camera view is obstructed by the hood and the car's inside. I might try mounting it a bit higher, but then I'm afraid it would get in the way too much...

Best regards,
Crocodil

Attach the camera on the upper right half of the windshield. The cable (which should be long enough) can be easily attached to the sun shade, let it hang down at the right side of the sun shade. Then it is nearly out of view.

Maybe you have to try if it works better to have the suction cup underneath or above the camera. This depends on the car and position of the cam.

Attach the camera on the upper right half of the windshield. The cable (which should be long enough) can be easily attached to the sun shade, let it hang down at the right side of the sun shade. Then it is nearly out of view.

Maybe you have to try if it works better to have the suction cup underneath or above the camera. This depends on the car and position of the cam.

Thank you, I will try to place the camera to the right of the rear view mirror :) But I'm affraid the cable that comes with the camera is too short to run it in the right side of the passenger's sun shade...

Depending on the duration of your trip, you can run the cam by battery. Or get yourself another USB cable, mine is about 1.8m long, it works fine. You should have at least one replacement cable anyway.

Thank you, I will try to place the camera to the right of the rear view mirror :) But I'm affraid the cable that comes with the camera is too short to run it in the right side of the passenger's sun shade...
The cable is a standard mini USB cable, you can buy longer ones, you only need a power/charging cable, no data.

Alternatively, you can use a USB extension cable but it is good to have more than one cable anyway.

Right or left of mirror depends upon what side you drive on.
I don't want it hanging on my (steering wheel) side so mount it on the other side.

@Sunny: In Poland we drive on the right (steering wheel is on the left side of the car), that's why I was talking about mounting the camera right of the rear view mirror and less in my view :)

I have 2,5m usb extension cable, very easy fitting to the roof. From car charger to passangerside and then up to the roof and hide cable underneat roof cover. And when i dont use the camera as dashcam i just stick the cable inside roof cover. I use two wunderbaum (parfyme trees) to make it more discreet and stealthy.

Attachments

• 2016-08-06 20.21.00.jpg
    2016-08-06 20.21.00.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Back