Using SGZC12RC with 5V External Battery Pack and 12V power supply

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
There are many questions / answers all around the forum regarding using Street Guardian SGZC12RC with external battery banks.
In this thread I have combined my tests to show different scenarios when using 5V external battery banks and 12 V power supply.

P.S. - all tests you see below were done over year ago.

Last edited:
Lot of good information here. Thank you for sharing. Could you use a 5v power bank to power any 12v street guardian product as it is done above?

Last edited:
Lot of good information here. Thank you for sharing. Could you use a 5v power bank to power any 12v street guardian product as it is done above?

You can use present 12V Street Guardian range: SGZC12SS, SGZC12SG, SGZC12RC to power via micro-usb service port.

You can use present 12V Street Guardian range: SGZC12SS, SGZC12SG, SGZC12RC to power via micro-usb service port.

Precisely the reason why I choose the RC over the GC.

So @niko, will it only work with a power bank rated 13000mhA?

Precisely the reason why I choose the RC over the GC.

So @niko, will it only work with a power bank rated 13000mhA?
You can use power bank also with GC.
For RC not only 13000mAh, but Anker E4 has on/off switch button and some sort of "intelligent chip".

Last edited:

No, that is not possible unless you get a step up dc/dc converter from 5V to 12V but it will not be very efficient ...

Something like this

6 videos I have added in 1st post of this thread shows it can be done via 5V microUSB service port.

6 videos I have added in 1st post of this thread shows it can be done via 5V microUSB service port.

Sorry, **** happens when one assumes a different thing :confused:

Again Sorry ...

Sorry, **** happens when one assumes a different thing :confused:

Again Sorry ...

No problem.
Your link to 5v to 12v booster can be also useful for people in some setup ;)

The GC works just fine with power banks too.

It does? I didn't know that. That changes everything. I would've chosen the GC if I knew about this. So in the GC is ok with a 5V like the RC and it can be used in "parking mode"?

The GC is 5V only actually, the power adapter that comes with it has 5V 1.5A as the output. I tested it with the Xiaomi 10000mah power bank that's on Gearbest and it booted up and started recording with no problem. I couldn't test it a long time because the miniusb cables I have aren't long enough to conceal the power bank decently though.

You can power any dashcam that's powered via USB with a power bank, the GC model just don't have the parking guard abilities of the SGZC12RC.
But if you let it allays record that's no problem.

I would power my USB chargers ( 5 and 4 port ) with a 12 V battery meant for a HID torch, the chargers have a 12 V barrel connector input, and so have the lipo battery for the HID torches as its thru it you charge them.

Offcourse my largest HID battery is just 9600 MAH, but that will do fine for the little while i might park in a suspect place.

And in a pinch i have 3 of those HID batteries i can link up to form 1 huge battery.

The HID batteries have discharge protection too as they are with lipo batteries, so they should be safe from discharge them too much.

And if you have DIY skills you can buy a bunch of 18650 lipo batteries with discharge protection and solder them up for your own big ass 12 V power bank, or just buy a little 12 V 17 Ah battery.

And if you have DIY skills you can buy a bunch of 18650 lipo batteries with discharge protection and solder them up for your own big ass 12 V power bank, or just buy a little 12 V 17 Ah battery.
I'm very slowly working on something like this myself.

Hi There,
Just joined the forum in Australia. I'm really interested in Street Guardian SGZC12RC V2 which is the model on sale here, but it doesn't have GPS as additional plugin.
Could you please advise if there is any RC model with the GPS option on sale in Australia? I like the remote lens, 12v + 5V USB power bank...

Thx

Thx Jokiin for the quick reply.
For SGZC12SG V2 on sale here, it has GPS option. Can I still use the 12V and 5V USB via power bank at the same time?

Back