Vantrue E2 or Viofo A129 plus duo

Asturcelta

Reaction score
Country
Spain
As the title of the post says, between these two which would you recommend? They are very similar.
I have seen in some video is that the E2's images are very bright compared to the A129 plus duo.
Which one capture license plates the best, or they are very similar?

As part of the Vantrue team, we would recommend the E2 dashcam. It comes equipped with WDR and a front and rear dual-lens system that captures footage in true 2K resolution at 30 frames per second. Additionally, the optional CPL polarizing filter improves image clarity by reducing glare and reflections.

In regards to your question about capturing license plates, both the E2 and A129 Plus Duo are capable of doing so. However, with the E2's WDR technology, it may be able to capture license plates more clearly in high contrast situations.

We hope this helps you make an informed decision between the two dashcams. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards

I think Viofo 129 plus duo has WDR too

Are there any differences between the two cameras? Because I can't find them

Yes most systems have WDR these days.
I am testing the E2 for a while and it have behaved very well for me so far, even like memory cards i can not get to work in any other brand dashcam.

The A129 plus duo i have no personal experience with, but i assume it is also using the 1440p resolution IMX 335 sensor, i have compared the E2 to the A229 duo i am testing ATM and their daytime performance are the same.
I cant say with night time as i dont really test it as little details are most often not a option in low light, and IMO just about any dashcam are the same in low light, so then you be advised to not trust plate capture, but rather see plate yourself and call it out for microphone to record.

In my experience it is not like any brand of dashcams have a particular better track record in regard to the abilities of the cameras, so 2 systems on the same hardware but 2 different brands are most often performing the same.

Things like low light performance you really have to compare at the same time / same situation, if you notice some brands share low light driving in a town that at night have more light due to light pollution than my country of Denmark have in the daytime in winter.
also if you notice some brands you can actually see plates in low light situations, but then the difference in speed between the camera car and the target car are like 1-2-3 KM/h at most, CUZ in that case then you can also capture plates at night, just rare we drive that much slower than cars around us, or past parked cars.

Mind you, the moment i get a camera for testing i feel are performing better than others in low light, well i will immediately make a comparison to demonstrate that as i do feel it would be a major thing that people should consider buying a dashcam.
BUT ! as it is i can not see anything like that in the cameras i have tested, and lately i have tested a lot of cameras with the IMX 335 sensor in it.

Needless to say i do not test all dashcams, that would be impossible for one person to do, a reviewer well he / she can get a camera, put it in the car, drive around for a few days, and then have enough material for a 5 - 10 minute video.
I personally need to run a system for at least 5-6 months before i am ready to recommend it, but quick and dirty all i can say is if it have some severe faults, and really in 10 years of testing dashcams i have only seen that one time.

Generally most systems have the basic features good to go, but as always any camera can also be improved on as modders prove again and again with the cameras they look at.

So, you recommend the E2. The E2 is cheaper than the Viofo A229 and if they have the same features then the E2 is better in quality/price, right?

Personally i am not a fan of the way the E2 and other similar cameras mount, but i cant say it have hampered testing, but on a uneven surface there are some shake in the image due to the not super strong mount.
But in day 2 day i dont see it as a big problem, will the camera swing up in a "massive " event, i think so, and this could be a problem with aftermath recordings, CUZ i doubt most people will have the camera in mind when you just had a big shunt.
So the issue are not something i have noticed in regular footage, so i do not feel it is a big problem.

Also i feel that the way the E2 mount are less stealthy VS a wedge shaped camera that often come off as yet another sensor on the windscreen, but again how the layout are on the windscreen also have a say.
In my car i have a dotted area in front of mirror, i can mount cameras on this so just the bottom part with the lens peek out below it, this mean the " footprint" of the cameras mount are less noticeable.

img_20180414_143857-jpg.37475

As you can see here, looking at the dashboard, there are slight vibration in the E2, nothing much but this street are also not very uneven a dirt road would be worse, but i dont drive on those very often, and generally Danish streets are not super bad.

E2 plate capture on a not that good day / time of the day, when i talk about low light performance in dashcams i dont mean in the middle of the night, on a summer day say you drive into the shade of tall trees or tall buildings next to the road , that would impact something like plate capture even if it it is in the middle of a sunny day.
But that is a general thing with all dashcams i am aware off.
The video are scaled up to 4K in post production as my editing software can not handle the original 1440p resolution

You can browse the install thread, it have many pictures with different cameras in different cars, some modern cars with a lot of sensors on the windscreen you have to be a little creative.

For instance you can be forced to mount offset of the middle of the windscreen, and as the windscreen curve this mean the aim can become a little off, not much though most often the wide angle lens will be just fine.
But a camera like the E2 on its ball joint mount you can adjust up and down / left and right to account for such things, you can also turn it 90 degrees to film say a side window, this seem important to some people.
You can even turn it 180 degrees and film the cabin if you wanted to.
Many wedge shaped cameras, well you can only adjust them up and down and not to the sides.

In other cases one of the barrel / cylinder shaped systems might be a better idea, at least in regard to mounting options and stealth so people dont notice the system so much.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your extensive answer. I agree with you that VIOFO's wedge-shaped camera is better than E2 mount. And also viofo is much more discreet than vantrue. They are small details that you decide for one or the other, both having the same characteristics.
Thanks again for your explanations.

No problem.

Yes it seem getting a dashcam there are always a compromise to be made, the perfect dashcam still dont exist.

Back