Vantrue E2 (top) vs VIOFO A129

mikek753

Reaction score
Country
United States

this is just fast compare side by side to my existing A129
yes, the E2 has higher resolution vs A129
for simplicity I just cropped E2 to the same 1920 horizontally to match A129, proper way would be to resize IMHO
but, even with such crop the E2 retains more details vs 2 years old A129
this was my 1st usage for E2, so EV and etc are just default, likely I'll increase the EV to get more cars details, while the sky I don't care about and let it just be white as it's for A129
no, the YouTube doesn't retain original quality, while it's Ok to look as comparation as both dashcam in single stream was reencoded by YouTube
I plan to write my review for the E2 as well

Last edited:
If you were making a movie than the E2 looks quite good, probably better to use a GoPro though.

For evidence gathering, where you need to see what is happening, it is not good on exposure and it has a rather narrow field of view.

any recommendations for E2 settings?
any recommendations for VSDC to make better side by side compare?

thanks

more compare side by side
I increased EV for E2, looks like too much, so I'll need to reduce it in a half, maybe EV +0.5 will be good
I used resize and stretch for new resulting videos, just to show whole POV for each camera
this time E2 was in the highest resolution, while at 24fps

Both videos look pretty terrible...Don't know if your lens is dirty, or your window is dirty, or both.
Did you resize the videos or something? And are you recording at their respective native resolutions?

I cannot even see the license plate number of a single car in front, nor for the oncoming cars in the other lane.
Both videos look like they were recorded by a $20 dashcam.

Both videos look pretty terrible...Don't know if your lens is dirty, or your window is dirty, or both.
Did you resize the videos or something? And are you recording at their respective native resolutions?

I cannot even see the license plate number of a single car in front, nor for the oncoming cars in the other lane.
Both videos look like they were recorded by a $20 dashcam.
last videos are result of the resize and stretch, 1st videos are just crop that preserves 1:1 pixel to pixel
the issue is to fit both to resulting 1920x1080 frame
what would be better option for side by side compare?

tnx

this is without stretch, but linear resize for E2 1944P+1944P 24FPS to downsize to 1080 vertical

resulting videos from both cameras are way better then in those resulting at YouTube
so I try to figure out, what's the best for side by side video

When i compare 2 cameras i use to use the middle 50% from either camera, videos where the 2 cameras are side by side i dont like, then better the thin videos on top of each other.
Using the middle 50 % also let you adjust, as it is rare you have 2 camera lenses in the exact same angle, so some times i have cut 25% of the top and 25% of the bottom on one video and 23% of the top and 27% of the bottom so it match the other camera.

I have however never tried this with 1440p footage for some reason, even if Viofo have made that possible for me lately :rolleyes:

this is without stretch, but linear resize for E2 1944P+1944P 24FPS to downsize to 1080 vertical

resulting videos from both cameras are way better then in those resulting at YouTube
so I try to figure out, what's the best for side by side video
I'm the wrong person to ask but your best bet would be to contact @TonyM or @rcg530

I'm not sure how they do it or what software they use, but their video comparisons are excellent so you may want to ask them.
There is no stretching or anything like that in their videos and someone like me can easily compare both cameras despite them being different resolutions.

@TonyM would you contact me via private conversation? pls
somehow I can't contact you

tnx

If you were making a movie than the E2 looks quite good, probably better to use a GoPro though.

For evidence gathering, where you need to see what is happening, it is not good on exposure and it has a rather narrow field of view.
The E2 dash cam, using the SONY sensor, captures front and rear at 2596 x 1944P 24FPS with stunning detail that can clearly show license plates or road signs at a distance during the day and night.
Here's a footage shared by our customer. From the test video, you can see the plate clearly and so we believe it can be your extra eyes if any needed.

Also, for the viewing angle, E2 offers you front 160°+ rear 160°, allowing you to see every corner of the lane.

1666164344206.png

Back