Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been using the cam for three weeks now I am in Uber driver! But I do most of my driving at night. What I would like to know is if there's any infrared lights I can use for this camera.to make the interior light up better! What would I do, I cannot use my domelight's, what's happening on the inside of my car is just as important as the outside! Please help anyone ?

I've been using the cam for three weeks now I am in Uber driver! But I do most of my driving at night. What I would like to know is if there's any infrared lights I can use for this camera.to make the interior light up better! What would I do, I cannot use my domelight's, what's happening on the inside of my car is just as important as the outside! Please help anyone ?
I am also willing to return this camera and get a different one but I would prefer not to.

the cameras have an IR cut filter to deal with sunlight so adding IR lighting might not be that effective anyway unless you want to change the lens on your inside cam
So does this mean that nothing will work

So does this mean that nothing will work
no, it could be made to work, but you would perhaps do better to have a dedicated solution for interior low light use
OK so I'm in dash cam 101 here not sure what to do with them. Would like to know more about what you're talking about does not make sense to me at all.

you could mod the existing cam you're using now for interior use and remove the IR filter in the lens, or change the lens to one without a filter, it would then perform poorly when there's plenty of light though so that's a trade off

if I was in the same position I'd probably look at adding something like a Mobius 1, swap the lens out to something with no IR filter for improved low light performance and maybe supplement that with some IR lighting if needed

you could mod the existing cam you're using now for interior use and remove the IR filter in the lens, or change the lens to one without a filter, it would then perform poorly when there's plenty of light though so that's a trade off

if I was in the same position I'd probably look at adding something like a Mobius 1, swap the lens out to something with no IR filter for improved low light performance and maybe supplement that with some IR lighting if needed

OK so this sounds really complicated do you know if it has and IR reducing light lens?

Yeah i would go for the dedicated solution too, and live with the colors on clothe being a bit off in daylight with that camera.
And then i would go for a good IR light source as the 4 LEDs often on such cameras are too little in my opinion.

If you want me to i can experiment a little with a camera of mine, but i dont think i have any wide angle lenses with no IR filter on them.
But i do have a massive IR light far overkilling what i would look for in such a setup ( 7 watt IR LED )
But it would be easy for me to put another lens on a little camera and throw that IR light source on my dashbord to see that kind of performance that will give in the dark Danish winter nights.

The Vantrue N2 dont appear to have IR, most cameras that have that will have 4 LEDs around the lens, and the footage off the vantrue N2 rear camera also appear to be color true and if the lens dident have a IR cut filter then colors would be off.

Off course there is such things as active IR filters like seen in CCTV cameras, but i dont think the Vantrue camera have that as there is no IR leds on it.

Transcend Drive Pro 520 have IR LEDS around its cabin lens, but they are weak and not good for people in the back of the car.

Just made this video with a camera on the middle of my dashbord, but this is daytime just to illustrate what kind of coverage you get in the cabin of a little car like mine .

the standard lens has an IR filter but the lens is easily replaceable
LOL easy for you! Not for me completely don't know what I'm doing. Not good at wiring also should I try to buy an I R light and see if it helps?

I already modified the IR cur filter off one of my surplus wide angle lenses.

Yeah on a mobius lens change is easy, loosen grub screw holding lens, unscrew lens, put in new lens, and now come the hard part, focus lens by screwing it in until you hit the sweet spot, to do this have mobius connected to PC without with USB wire and no SD card in so it go into webcam mode.
This way you can see focus on the PC screen an you adjust the lens by screwing in further or back out
Once you found focus tighten grub screw again to fix new lens in place.

Mobius case is held together by 2 screws videos on youtube about how to take apart and change battery for capacitors.

Just did livingroom test with broken X camera so nothing recorded :rolleyes: will have to grab another X camera in my car.

Ill have a living room demo ready for you in about 1 hour or so, this will demo the off color properties of a lens with no IR cut filter, and it will demo what a good strong IR light can do for illuminating the inside of a car.

I trust you have seen the demo of the Transcend Drive Pro 52 and its poor IR performance

Last edited:
Okay got a little demo footage done, sadly the mocrophone on the camera dident really pick my talking up, and though its 4 Am here in Denmark i dident wisper.

Anyways i will add a little test to the footage instead, and then upload to youtube, should be ready for you in a short while.

No I have never seen that video! I'm still really confused guys! I really appreciate that you're trying to help but I don't know what a Mobius is! is that the same thing as my vantrue? Like I said very beginner here! I just seen a review for the black vue DRS650 and I think I like it! Even though it's $400 Here's the review

Some brands also have other color LEDs on cameras, this is popular in places like south Korea and other, in EU and the US we all seem to prefer stealthy cameras with no fancy flashing leds.

In general you dont want that stuff on a camera facing a window as the light no matter the wavelength will just reflect off glass and blind camera.
So we all agreed on its a silly sales gimmick none of us western ppl get at all.

Okay the demo is uploading now.

Some brands have flashing lights going on cameras even when parked to warn would be crooks that here is a camera so be scared or somthing.
Its allso popular to desk cameras out with crome plastic bling and what not, again not so popular with us western ppl, but over there in the far east it seem popular by Chinese and korean brands.

Even if the IR lights on those cameras worked the LEDs are so weak their reach would be restricted to capture that person you ran over and is now lying on your hood, anything further away than that is still in darkness.

So some put them on there to claim its a super night camera, others put them on to flash for attention and here blue is still a popular color though hardcore casemodders like i myself once where know blue went out of fashion 10 years ago at least.
There was a time where every god damm modified computer was spammed in blue light and blue coolant for the watercooling and what not, my last build was flat black with texture and red LED light and red cooling fluid.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M N2 3
J N2 5
I N2 6
Back