Vantrue N4 Pro

Julian23

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
Viofo A139
Like some other members here, I was also given the opportunity to test the new Vantrue N4 Pro and give an honest opinion.
This will be my first impression of the N4 Pro.
Everything needed for operating the dashcam, except for an SD card, comes neatly and securely packed in the box.
For routing the cable there is a small plastic tool included.
Here are some pictures:
20230714_163808.jpg
20230714_163832.jpg
20230714_163856.jpg

The provided power supply has one free USB A port for charging other devices with 5V/2.4A. A nice little detail since the 12V plug is taken up by the dashcam.
For me, it appears as if the power supply from the Vantrue N4 Pro is identical to the one from the E3. The E3 power supply has been flawlessly charging my phone even with outside temps above 35°C the charger wasn't getting too hot.
The cable for the rear camera is still on the thicker side and not a thin coax cable that would be better to hide.
A remote is not included but voice commands are.
On the bottom of the main camera is a small IR sensor. This senses the brightness in the car and enables the IR LEDs to illuminate the cabin if needed.

And some pictures compared with the Viofo T130:

20230714_164622.jpg20230714_164648.jpg
20230714_164859.jpg20230714_165003.jpg

The main unit feels very solid and the build quality seems good. The area around the lens could be a bit smaller to make the dashcam less noticeable in the car. But this is a design choice by the manufacturer.
The rear camera sadly doesn't give me the same feeling, the main unit does. The plastic feels less solid, the T130 rear camera has a better finish in my opinion. But the finish doesn't matter if the video quality is good.
On the rear camera of the N4 Pro, there is a small green LED that is constantly lit when the camera is turned on. You can't disable it in the settings. But the brightness is even at night low enough, that it shouldn't bother anyone.

20230714_163943.jpg20230714_164053.jpg

The excluded CPL isn't simply pushed on but screwed onto the lens. This has a very nice haptic feeling. After being attached to the lens, the CPL can be rotated. There are two protective films on the CPL, don't forget to remove them.

Setting up the dashcam is very easy. It can be done with the display or the App. Each method is very easy to use and user-friendly.
The WiFi can be switched between 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz to make downloading videos to your phone faster.
There is no option to adjust the bitrate.

The front camera has the Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678 8M COMS sensor that can record with a resolution up to 3840x2160.
Interior and rear camera record in 1920x1080.
The interior camera has an active IR filter

Similar to the E3, the N4 Pro has the Mileage statistics function that can be enabled in the App.

I will add driving videos in the following days, testing different weather conditions.

Last edited:
I had the N4 Pro running at home to test if any errors would appear running with a Samsung SD card that is not like by some other cameras.
So far it has been recording flawless.
But now I have switched to the Vantrue SD card that unsurprisingly works fine as well.

After installing it into my car, I noticed that the remote from the E3 immediately works with the N4 Pro. I didn't have to pair or do anything. That's very nice.

After installing it into my car, I noticed that the remote from the E3 immediately works with the N4 Pro. I didn't have to pair or do anything. That's very nice.
I wonder how it will behave if several models from Vantrue are installed in the car at once.
You have E3 and you can check it out.

I wonder how it will behave if several models from Vantrue are installed in the car at once.
Or if someone else in the car next to you has one installed!

You have E3 and you can check it out.
I will give this a try and report what happens.
Or if someone else in the car next to you has one installed!
Sounds like I need to to a range test to see from how far away it works.

I just gave it a try.
The remote only connects to one camera at the time. The remote doesn't seem to prioritize a camera when both are started at the same time.
If the camera that is connected to the remote is shut down, the remote will connect to the other camera within a few seconds.

The range was up to 10m. With more distance the button didn't reliable work anymore.
It appears as if there is no risk of others accidentally locking your files since it only will connect to one camera.
Only if someone funny disconnects his camera from his remote and another car with a Vantrue dashcam is right next to it without a remote connected.
The chances of this happening are obviously very low.

Here is a raw video straight from the camera. The settings are how the camera came, the firmware was updated to the newest version (N4P_VT-ECF211). No CPL was installed.
The sharpness at the edges is very good with my unit. No focus issues at all.

Here are some screenshots. All screenshots are unedited in sharpness, color, exposure, etc.
vlcsnap-2023-08-01-13h39m50s252.pngvlcsnap-2023-08-01-13h40m05s013 edit.png

And a crop of the car. The plate is clearly visible.

vlcsnap-2023-08-01-13h40m05s013 edit 2.png

Here are two screenshots at night. Half of the plate is blurred by me to comply with German laws.:censored: It is fully readable when not edited.
Most of the plates at night are readable.
vlcsnap-2023-08-01-13h52m30s712 edit 1.png
vlcsnap-2023-08-01-13h52m30s712 edit 2.png
So far I am very impressed with the performance of the N4 Pro.
In my case, it is able to capture more plates than another Starvis 2 4K dashcam.

I have been in Italy for the past few days. The weather was very sunny and hot.
The N4 Pro worked without any issues. Even after the car was parked in the sun it worked perfectly.
I will post some videos in the following days.

Molto bene.

Here is the promised video from Italy.
Some day and night footage.

My rear camera seems to be out of focus pretty bad. Everything further than 2m away is unsharp.
Since the E3 and N4 Pro rear cameras work with each other, I might use the E3 rear camera to see how it compares.
Another not-so-good thing I noticed is the microphone. With louder noises, like loud music playing, it starts to clip.

I compared the rear camera from the N4 Pro and the E3 since the N4 Pro has focus issues.
I took the same picture within a minute of each other.
I purposely placed a charging cable and the Vantrue remote in the camera's view to see how sharp it is.
The results can be seen below.

Here is the N4 Pro rear camera:

vlcsnap-2023-10-10-15h53m28s893z.png

The focus is only usable within 2-4m. After this distance, it's not really useable.

Here is the picture from the E3 rear camera connected to the N4 Pro.

vlcsnap-2023-10-10-15h53m04s426.png

The image seems sharper than the first one but after 10m it's not that good either.
I have contacted Jeff about the focus issue but haven't gotten a reply for several weeks. I don't know what happened to him.

Maybe will open the camera up and see if I can improve the focus.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-10-10-15h53m04s426.png
    vlcsnap-2023-10-10-15h53m04s426.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • vlcsnap-2023-10-10-15h53m28s893z.png
    vlcsnap-2023-10-10-15h53m28s893z.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
I compared the rear camera from the N4 Pro and the E3 since the N4 Pro has focus issues.
I took the same picture within a minute of each other.
I purposely placed a charging cable and the Vantrue remote in the camera's view to see how sharp it is.
The results can be seen below.

Here is the N4 Pro rear camera:

View attachment 68333

The focus is only usable within 2-4m. After this distance, it's not really useable.

Here is the picture from the E3 rear camera connected to the N4 Pro.

View attachment 68334

The image seems sharper than the first one but after 10m it's not that good either.
I have contacted Jeff about the focus issue but haven't gotten a reply for several weeks. I don't know what happened to him.

Maybe will open the camera up and see if I can improve the focus.
It is telling isn't it. I still have my N4 Pro rear camera up in my car but the focus issue is glaringly obvious to all that see.

Looks like a bunch of us got defective units. Not sure where Jeff is these days either :(

N4 Pro rear camera up in my car but the focus issue is glaringly obvious to all that see.
It's not just the N4 Pro rear camera. A number of us evaluating the S1-Pro also have issues with the rear camera focus. There are a number of examples in the S1-Pro forum.

It's not just the N4 Pro rear camera. A number of us evaluating the S1-Pro also have issues with the rear camera focus. There are a number of examples in the S1-Pro forum.
Have seen that too. Eeep. Million dollar question is what happened to Jeff though

I also wrote to Jeff last time at end of August but still no reply. I do not have any conversations about some bugs that I found and even then I fix it by myself via FW mod I still does not have any aswer. That is really sad.
Do some job to improve Vantrue dashcams it is not my business but I like it cause I'm a programmer and reverse engineer and dashcams is my hobby more than 8 years. I have enough knowledge to write whole firmware for dashcam as I do it at my base work for other equipment if only I have Novatek SDK, toolset and datasheets. But I do not see any interest from Vantrue anymore after Jeff sent N4 Pro cam for review purpose.

Last edited:
It is telling isn't it. I still have my N4 Pro rear camera up in my car but the focus issue is glaringly obvious to all that see.

Looks like a bunch of us got defective units. Not sure where Jeff is these days either :(
It's very unfortunate. I really like the front unit. The front and interior quality is good but sadly not the rear one.

Do you happen to know what the model of rear camera is for the S1 Pro?
For the N4 Pro it is RC-04.
The E3 has the RC-05.

Have seen that too. Eeep. Million dollar question is what happened to Jeff though
It's weird, the profile still checks in but doesn't participate at all.
I really wonder what happened.

Then your girlfriend is online but do not answers to you... that's wrong!? Loose of interest, you are not in priority :cry:

Back