Vantrue OBD Hardwire Charger Cable

Jeff_Vantrue

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Vantrue offers OBD Hardwire Charger Cable which can also provide 24/7 parking surveillance and low voltage protection. Instead of attaching 3 wires to the vehicle’s fusebox, an OBD cable only needs to connect to the vehicle’s OBD port. Once this is done, your parking-mode dash cam will be able to receive parking-mode recording just as if you were to hardwire to the fusebox. The installation is easy-plug and play.
fac2e4_0579143245bc404bbabd40741bd19352~mv2.jpg

Glad to see that you're offering an OBD solution now too. Does the OBD port/cable provide data communication to the dashcam for an ignition triggered driving/parking transition? or is it like a 2-wire cable with power only and so the dashcam falls back to GPS / G-sensor for switching recording modes?

Glad to see that you're offering an OBD solution now too. Does the OBD port/cable provide data communication to the dashcam for an ignition triggered driving/parking transition? or is it like a 2-wire cable with power only and so the dashcam falls back to GPS / G-sensor for switching recording modes?
So for the Vantrue OBD Hardwire, the main function are as following:
  • 24/7 Parking Surveillance
    Directly to the battery for constant 24hrs/7days power to protect against theft when your car is in the parking lot.
  • Low voltage protection
    It has a smart low voltage protection system that will automatically shut off the power to your dash cam when the battery voltage drops to 11.4V or 22.8V, thus preventing it draining the battery.
  • Mulitiple uses
    GPS navigator and radar detector etc, it always frees up the cigarette lighter for other devices.

This is a great accessory and would even tempt me to switch from Viofo to Vantrue.

But isn't 11.4V way too low to crank a car engine? I really wouldn't want my battery to drop that low.

This is a great accessory and would even tempt me to switch from Viofo to Vantrue.

But isn't 11.4V way too low to crank a car engine? I really wouldn't want my battery to drop that low.
I would advise you to use the Vantrue 3-Lead ACC Hardwire Kit, which has a microswitch to select the low voltage cutoff level (11.6/23.6V, 11.9/23.9V, 12.2/24.2V and 12, 5/24.5V). The wiring kit includes a power off timer with user selectable times of 1, 3, 6, 12, 24 or unlimited.

Vantrue will release a voltage display Hardwire Kit in June, which can display the car battery voltage in real time.
VANTRUE battery voltage dispay.JPG

Looking good Jeff.

I have a readout of voltage in my car, part of a Rhundho 3 way 12 V splitter.

606343-gal-ng.png

It is broken now, or that is the buttons to turn on / off the 3 ports have died, the ports still work and the display in the little wired remote also work displaying voltage on battery

Vantrue will release a voltage display Hardwire Kit in June, which can display the car battery voltage in real time.
View attachment 65293
Would it possible to have the display designed to fit into the dash of the car?

Have it as a seperate item that can plug in to the hardwire kit.
I added a voltage indicator to my car so I could see Matt battery condition and if my charging system is working correctly.

Cheers

I would advise you to use the Vantrue 3-Lead ACC Hardwire Kit, which has a microswitch to select the low voltage cutoff level (11.6/23.6V, 11.9/23.9V, 12.2/24.2V and 12, 5/24.5V). The wiring kit includes a power off timer with user selectable times of 1, 3, 6, 12, 24 or unlimited.
Appreciate the reply, but since the vehicle in question is leased it is against the terms of my lease agreement to hardwire devices to the battery or fuse box. If I owned the car, that would be a different matter. That's why I like the Vantrue OBD cable so much, but 11.4V is way too low as a battery cutoff voltage.

Last edited:
    Directly to the battery for constant 24hrs/7days power to protect against theft when your car is in the parking lot.
  • Low voltage protection
    It has a smart low voltage protection system that will automatically shut off the power to your dash cam when the battery voltage drops to 11.4V or 22.8V, thus preventing it draining the battery.
  • Mulitiple uses
    GPS navigator and radar detector etc, it always frees up the cigarette lighter for other devices.
I like connecting via the OBD port and it has an undeniable advantage over connecting via 3 wires (one of which is connected to the ACC line and you have to find it in your car) - this is the ease of connection and the availability of the OBD connector in the car, the driver can easily transfer the dashcam from one car to another (if there are several cars, or in case of frequent use of rental cars).
Jeff, Does this mean that the smart low voltage protection also works in the power supply circuit to enable the main recording mode? For some dashcams, it seems to me that Lukas had this implemented - after starting the engine, the voltage on the battery rose above 13.0 V, and it was this voltage level that was the trigger for switching the dashcam into recording mode?

View attachment 65293
Regarding the voltage display kit, this is a useful feature, but perhaps a remote display connected via a connector to the unit will be more convenient for installation, as was done, for example, by Rhundo (an example given by @kamkar)?
In this case, it will be possible to use thinner wires and the driver will have more space to accommodate such a display?

• Low voltage protection
Vantrue has already made changes. The voltage cutoff is raised to 11.6V (y)
The updated HK OBD has already appeared on AliExpress.

I managed to order and have already received it. I will test it.

HK Vontrue_OBD_1.jpg HK Vontrue_OBD_2.jpg HK Vontrue_OBD_1 11,6V.jpg
"VANTRUE 10ft Type C USB & Mini OBD Hardwire Charger Cable N E S Series Dash Cam"
"It has a smart low voltage protection system that will automatically shut off the power to your dash cam when the battery voltage drops to 11.6V or 23.2V, thus preventing it from draining the battery."
©from the seller VANTRUE Official Store

From my first impressions, the current limit is 2.0 A, and N5 can consume about this, I will check what load the unit can withstand.
And yet - the wires to the block and from the block are "noodles", they look thin, I would like a wire cross section of 20AWG, but it has not yet been tested.

Last edited:
11.6 volts seem like a very low cut off voltage.
I never go under 12.2, which is easy f or me as i only need parking guard for a few hours.
Though lately the 70mai omni also hjaving a sub 12 V cut off as i understand is seemingly running constantly, but i drive at least a little every day.

As far as I understand, Vantrue engineers apparently took into account the effect of a car battery when, after a relatively fast discharge, it begins to recover, accumulating capacity and raising the voltage, this is due to electrochemical processes.
Although 11.6 is still not enough

Last edited:
It would be amazing to have the OBD Cable with the cut-off voltage selector that the hardwiring cable for the fusebox offers...

Last edited:
Or do a voltage selector within the dash cam setting - like Thinkware does.

I managed to order and have already received it. I will test it.

View attachment 65933 View attachment 65934 View attachment 65936
"VANTRUE 10ft Type C USB & Mini OBD Hardwire Charger Cable N E S Series Dash Cam"

I tested this kit a bit, here are the first results:

First and foremost, the adapter can withstand the load with a margin. During testing, the maximum load was 2.6A, with a further increase, the adapter turns off - it goes into protection. The voltage for powering the dashcam on the Type-C connector is 4.97V at maximum load.
Vantrue OBDII kit_1.jpg
The second is to turn off the load (in our case, cut off the dashcam) when the voltage drops.
The initial test showed that the load is turned off 5 minutes after the voltage drops to 11.5V. The result is not final, requires verification.

Thirdly, the wires on the 5V arm from the adapter to the Type-C connector are still thin, the voltage drop on them is noticeable by heating and by the power difference at the source and at the connector connected to the recorder (17.2W and 12.9W), at a lower load losses will be less, but for the parking mode it is still undesirable.
It's probably not 20AWG, judging by the sensations, but we'll wait for the new set from Vantrue and see!
Vantrue OBDII kit_3.jpg Vantrue OBDII kit_2.jpg

The main conclusion is that the power of the Vantrue OBD adapter is quite enough to power the N5!

PS: Thermograms were taken at the maximum load on the adapter, when the recorder is working, of course, there will be no such load

The second is to turn off the load (in our case, cut off the dashcam) when the voltage drops.
The initial test showed that the load is turned off 5 minutes after the voltage drops to 11.5V. The result is not final, requires verification.
To be clarified: after several verification tests confirmed: load disconnection at 11.69 Volt, after 4:45-4:57 min
(Vantrue made with a margin :) )

And one more thing: the load is activated (power supply to the dashcam) occurs when the voltage rises to 12.00 Volts.

Last edited:
  • Low voltage protection
  • Mulitiple uses
Hi Jeff, If I understand your reply correctly, the OBD power cable is essentially a two-wire solution that provides constant power until the preset cutoff kicks in? Or does it mimic a three-wire solution that tells the dashcam whether it is using constant or accessory power? If so, is the newer Vanture OBD II configured the same way? Thanks!

Hi Jeff, If I understand your reply correctly, the OBD power cable is essentially a two-wire solution that provides constant power until the preset cutoff kicks in? Or does it mimic a three-wire solution that tells the dashcam whether it is using constant or accessory power? If so, is the newer Vanture OBD II configured the same way? Thanks!
I checked with our tech department today and they said the OBD cable is a two-wire solution instead of three-wire. Just a constant power wire and a ground wire. The power will be cut off when the car battery reaches a certain voltage. I apologize for any misleading information.

Back