"Vantrue X4S Duo" v.s. "VIOFO A129 Pro Duo"

ddykim0306

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I am thinking of buying the first dash cam in my life.
I want to have it for
  1. using the videos as evidence in case of car accidents,
  2. a video collection and sharing obtained while on a car trip in the US, and
  3. saving my travel (driving) route history via GPS.

Hence, my must will be 4K front and at least 30 fps front camera.
I also want to have inside and rear cameras, but there was nothing to have 3 channel cameras with 4K & 30fps front cam.

In my research, only the ones that satisfy my constraints are "Vantrue X4S Duo 4K 5G WiFi Dual Dash Cam" and "VIOFO A129 Pro Duo".
Both have very similar prices (about $300), and my car is a 2014 Toyota Camry LE.
Which dash cam will be better?

FYI 1)
I think, if I choose the Vantrue one (GPS is option), I need to buy
  1. Vantrue X4S Duo 4K 5G WiFi Dual Dash Cam ($249.99 but now $212.49),
  2. Vantrue 11.5ft Type C USB 12V 24V to 5V Dash Cam Hardwire Kit ($18.99),
  3. Vantrue 256GB microSDXC Card ($49.99), and
  4. Vantrue N4, N2S, X4S, T3 Dash Cam GPS Receiver Module ($21.99).
The total price is $303.46 (This is Amazon price).
However, if I buy them in the VANTRUE website with a promo code, it becomes $290.96.

FYI 2)
I think, if I choose the VIOFO one (GPS is built-in), I need to buy
  1. VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K Dual Dash Cam ($249.99 but now $229.99),
  2. VIOFO HK3 ACC Hardwire Kit ($16.99),
  3. VIOFO Circular Polarizing Lens CPL Filter ($14.99), and
  4. SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card ($35.31).
The total price is $297.28 (This is Amazon price).
Similarly, if I buy them in the VIOFO official website with a promo code, it becomes $292.28.

FYI 3) After buying them, I will visit Bestbuy, and buy a "dash camera install" item to install it to my car.

I'm a little bias... But I'll go with the Viofo, mainly due to it being a wedge shape dash cam being more discrete. I never tested the Vantrue X4S, but didn't have any issues with the Viofo A129 Pro Duo when I had it.

The rear camera on the Viofo A129 pro duo is only 1080p. You can get the A129 pro without the rear camera. My solution was to buy two A129 pro cameras to get 4k both front and rear. Be aware that the polarizing filter causes color fringing through the tempered glass in the rear that changes with the orientation of the car relative to the sun. (Not a problem if all you are interested in is evidence).
The hard wiring kit is only really necessary if you want the parking mode, and concealed wiring.

For conceal wires you can just buy a female 12 V plug, wire that into a fuse, and then plug the provided stuff into that to have your dash / console socket free for other stuff.
Mind you you might want to secure the two plugs together as under the dash they could wiggle apart.
A female 12 V plug and the add a fuse adapter dont cost much.

Some brands / or one brand at least ( street guardian ) have the 12 - 5 volt converter a little up the wire in a small box on the wire, so in their kits to conceal wire into a fuse, you just snip off the 12 V plug and then wire into something with a add a fuse adapter or a inline fuse adapter.
this however only work for regular recording if you want to use parking guard with a SG product like all others you do need a hard wire kit.
Other have the 12 - 5 V converter in the plug itself, so cutting that off and wirering into a fuse would kill the system as you would be sending 12 V into the cameras 5 V input

Hello,
I am thinking of buying the first dash cam in my life.
I want to have it for
  1. using the videos as evidence in case of car accidents,
  2. a video collection and sharing obtained while on a car trip in the US, and
  3. saving my travel (driving) route history via GPS.

Hence, my must will be 4K front and at least 30 fps front camera.
I also want to have inside and rear cameras, but there was nothing to have 3 channel cameras with 4K & 30fps front cam.

In my research, only the ones that satisfy my constraints are "Vantrue X4S Duo 4K 5G WiFi Dual Dash Cam" and "VIOFO A129 Pro Duo".
Both have very similar prices (about $300), and my car is a 2014 Toyota Camry LE.
Which dash cam will be better?

FYI 1)
I think, if I choose the Vantrue one (GPS is option), I need to buy
  1. Vantrue X4S Duo 4K 5G WiFi Dual Dash Cam ($249.99 but now $212.49),
  2. Vantrue 11.5ft Type C USB 12V 24V to 5V Dash Cam Hardwire Kit ($18.99),
  3. Vantrue 256GB microSDXC Card ($49.99), and
  4. Vantrue N4, N2S, X4S, T3 Dash Cam GPS Receiver Module ($21.99).
The total price is $303.46 (This is Amazon price).
However, if I buy them in the VANTRUE website with a promo code, it becomes $290.96.

FYI 2)
I think, if I choose the VIOFO one (GPS is built-in), I need to buy
  1. VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K Dual Dash Cam ($249.99 but now $229.99),
  2. VIOFO HK3 ACC Hardwire Kit ($16.99),
  3. VIOFO Circular Polarizing Lens CPL Filter ($14.99), and
  4. SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card ($35.31).
The total price is $297.28 (This is Amazon price).
Similarly, if I buy them in the VIOFO official website with a promo code, it becomes $292.28.

FYI 3) After buying them, I will visit Bestbuy, and buy a "dash camera install" item to install it to my car.
Be cautious with vantrue, I had someone from the company offer to send me a free X4S in exchange for a 5 star review on amazon, take their reviews with a grain of salt

I'm a little bias... But I'll go with the Viofo, mainly due to it being a wedge shape dash cam being more discrete. I never tested the Vantrue X4S, but didn't have any issues with the Viofo A129 Pro Duo when I had it.
Thank you so much. Actually, I also leaned toward VIOFO because it has a lot of reviews and information. X4S is too new so it is difficult to get some information about it. Thank you

The rear camera on the Viofo A129 pro duo is only 1080p. You can get the A129 pro without the rear camera. My solution was to buy two A129 pro cameras to get 4k both front and rear. Be aware that the polarizing filter causes color fringing through the tempered glass in the rear that changes with the orientation of the car relative to the sun. (Not a problem if all you are interested in is evidence).
The hard wiring kit is only really necessary if you want the parking mode, and concealed wiring.
Thank you for your new solution. Actually, the most important thing for me is to record the front side for uploading my SNS. I want to share my road trip, or something else, videos with my mother and friends who are living in my home country LOL.

For conceal wires you can just buy a female 12 V plug, wire that into a fuse, and then plug the provided stuff into that to have your dash / console socket free for other stuff.
Mind you you might want to secure the two plugs together as under the dash they could wiggle apart.
A female 12 V plug and the add a fuse adapter dont cost much.

Some brands / or one brand at least ( street guardian ) have the 12 - 5 volt converter a little up the wire in a small box on the wire, so in their kits to conceal wire into a fuse, you just snip off the 12 V plug and then wire into something with a add a fuse adapter or a inline fuse adapter.
this however only work for regular recording if you want to use parking guard with a SG product like all others you do need a hard wire kit.
Other have the 12 - 5 V converter in the plug itself, so cutting that off and wirering into a fuse would kill the system as you would be sending 12 V into the cameras 5 V input
I am very not good at knowing about cars. Actually, this car is the first car in my life LOL. So, I will not do it myself but will visit Bestbuy to ask them to install it.

Be cautious with vantrue, I had someone from the company offer to send me a free X4S in exchange for a 5 star review on amazon, take their reviews with a grain of salt
Oh... it is like a scam!!!!.... But (only in my humble opinion) most companies do that... lol... even though it is a very bad and immoral action.

The Viofo can be used with a remote button that makes locking down select videos easy. In my case it will be useful feature to help me with my future video collection and travels around the US.

Back