Video capture freezes on the Z2 2ch dashcam

GoSpeed.Rasere

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased and installed a Z2 because I was impressed by the specs. However, it has a flaw in that video capture freezes after about 20 minutes of operation. (Audio capture continues though). I tried 3 different SD cards to no effect. I contacted Zerogogo and they directed me to download updated firmware from their site. I did so and followed the instructions from the manual. It did not work. I noticed the file name (Z2 Firmware.bin) differed from the one in the manual (FWV6.bin), so I renamed it and tried again.

The flashing LEDs seemed to indicate the firmware was updated, but it was not, and the .bin file was not deleted. The version number also remained the same, 2020309.01

I've been going back and forth with support, but I think there is a language barrier issue. Any thoughts out there?

@David.Chan

Last edited:
If their method of doing FW updates doesn't work and they can't fix it, then I'd be asking for a refund.

If you play around with doing other things trying to make it work you may brick it and there's no warranty coverage for that. What you've done already is all I'd have recommended anyway.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I'm throwing in the towel on this cam. A real shame as it was perfect for my needs and the price was right. I was hoping David from Zerogogo would've chimed in, but I'm out of patience now.

Last edited:
I do have a drop of patience left. I ran the dashcam without the rear camera plugged in and it works great. I am wondering if the SD cards I've used are the culprit?
For example, the 256GB card has R/W up to 90/45 MB/s U3 Series & R/W up to 90/60 MB/s V30 series.

Is that capable of handling dual 1080p streams?

Some cameras can be memory card fuzzy, but when it run better without the rear camera, chance are thats probably it, or the wire to the camera.
A 45 MB/s write speed should be sufficient for most cameras out there, i have been running cards like that in 3 channel systems with no problems 1440p + 1080p + 1080p

It could also be firmware, or something that could be saved by firmware, but i am sure if you look at their home page you will not find many options, or look at the firmware version number it is probably pretty low.

As @kamkar already said those cards should be adequate for the task. The camera specs only call for a class 10 card and both those exceed that specification.

There's a possibility the cards aren't performing to spec (I had that happen once) but for 2 different cards to do that would be highly unlikely.

You could always test the cards. I like the program CrystalDiskMark ( https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/ ). If you do decide to test them make sure you use either a native SD card slot on your computer or a USB3 adaptor and port. (DO NOT use a USB2 port or adaptor, they're not nearly fast enough for testing those speeds.)

Even with more-than-acceptable card specs, some cams simply don't "like" some cards and will not work well with them. I always advise to find what cards others are using successfully in your exact cam then doing the same yourself ;)

But I also think your problem is far more likely to be related to the rear cam system, and not the card. Could be the cam unit, the cabling, or crappy FW and considering the cam brand I wouldn't say any are unlikely to be the source of your issues.

Phil

With a bit of trial and error and patience, all is well with my unit. The big source of frustration lay with the process to upgrade the firmware did not conform to the printed manual. Secondly, there was a language barrier between support and myself via Amazon messaging.

The unit performs as advertised and I'm loving the ability to use a 256GB SD card. They come in great for documenting long road trips.

Back