Video processing software

Mantom

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I use 2 programs to process my movies recorded by GS-1000 camera. The files are in .mov format.
First I convert them into .avi by free Any Video Converter http://www.any-video-converter.com/down ... c-free.php
I set the output format as avi with mpeg4 codec, bitrate 12000 bits/s (but 6000 also will do for Youtube), original resolution, 25 FPS for video and mp3 format, bitrate 128...320 for audio. Sometimes I set "switch audio off" as YES, because the sound would be unnecessary e.g. if we use vulgar words if another driver suddenly crossed our way and we are going to place the movie in the web :D
Then I use Avidemux http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html to combine files (Append command), cut unnecessary scenes or improving contrast/brightness/color/sharpness.

And what software do you use? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mantom,

Those are decent options. I have tried a lot of software and I tried to summarize the best ones here.

DashCamMan said:
Hi Mantom,

Those are decent options. I have tried a lot of software and I tried to summarize the best ones here.

Very nice :D . But I would like to get practical opinions and knowledge about using the software.
For example yesterday I tried to process a night movie with Avidemux (tried to improve sharpness, contrast and color) and the result was a horror.

Today I found in one forum the following advice. Movies should be converted into .avi with x264 codec. Then in Avidemux you shold set the following:
Encoding mode average bitrate two pass
motion estimation multi hex
subpixel 9
I also set average bitrate as 6000 kbits
I have tested this and received a quite satisfactory result. The processed movie looks better, concerning color, contrast and sharpness, but is getting stuck a little (the original is smoother). Perhaps increasing VBR into 12000 kbits (as it is the highest value available in Any Video Converter) would help?
Besides the conversion and processing take a lot of time.

So perhaps somebody knows a method to get a satisfactory result?

Mantom said:
DashCamMan said:
Hi Mantom,

Very nice :D . But I would like to get practical opinions and knowledge about using the software.
For example yesterday I tried to process a night movie with Avidemux (tried to improve sharpness, contrast and color) and the result was a horror. So perhaps somebody knows a method to get a satisfactory result?

Personally I wouldn't expect anything beyond being able to cut and join, soundtrack, text overlays or subtitles etc, trying to improve contrast or sharpness etc I don't see happening

If You're on Windows, You could also use the free Windows Live Movie Maker, which can read .mov files with ease.
Just put something higher for the bitrate when extracting video from it to Youtube, for example.
I first export it with 1080p 16000 Kbps setting and then upload it manually instead of letting it send it straight to Youtube.

how to make a time lapse video (in this case: how to speed up video) ?
Procedure so far: there were 12 MOV files, each size abt. 260MB.
Used "m4cam2" or whatever awful name that program is using, and created a AVI file, size abt. 3GB.
Ok, now I have 1 hour video, but I want to speed it up to play in 7 minutes (for example).
Windows Movie Maker does the job of speeding up.
The problem: saving of such 56MB video takes 4 hours.
There are so many timelapse videos on Youtube; there must be a faster way. Any suggestion ?

Hi!
Read here.
And the name of that program is mp4cam2avi not m4cam2.

enjoy,
Mtz

My favorite is CyberLink PowerDirector. The latest has native x64 bit support and renders videos amazingly fast. It has plenty of effects and options yet fairly easy to use. (lots of youtube How-To demos out there as well for PowerDirector)

Someone menitoned Freemake Video Converter. A quick test shows it's an easy-to-use software, but not dashcam-friendly by means of speeding up 1-hour trip to 10 minutes. Will they ever learn... :twisted:

my cam records in .avi so I use Microsoft movie maker. only made 2 videos which i posted a couple of minutes ago but having never used any software like it before I think it's quite easy to pick up...

is it possible to speed up the video with any of these two ?

i think not

i usual speed up on AVS Video Editor 6.3
http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Editor.aspx

but its paid software , come whit nice effects , lot things for edit , tools and it´s super easy to edit things
its a very good editor , not a Vegas but its good for do simple editions , put effect , speed or slowdown , cut , trim.

To be honest i am still failed on looking for a video converter which make me really annoying and give me a lot of head aches.

Hi guys.. is there any editing tool that will help eliminating glare from the video? Is that really possible?

There is software that can do somthing about reflections in glass, but i dont think it have filtered down to consumer software yet.
If you have lots of dashbord reflections in your windscreen the best option is a CPL filter, those in turn take a little of night performance of your camera.

There is software that can do somthing about reflections in glass, but i dont think it have filtered down to consumer software yet.
If you have lots of dashbord reflections in your windscreen the best option is a CPL filter, those in turn take a little of night performance of your camera.
Thanks Kamkar1, I ordered CPL filter, I should be try with them in next few days..

Back