Viofo A119 V3 Quad HD+ with Sony Starvis IMX335 - factory sample tests

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
In this thread can post anybody who have a V3 factory sample version of A119 sent by @viofo
After my first tests I can say the Sony IMX335 Starvis is the CMOS of the year! and even the A119 is not a new model it can become dashcam of the year because of its price and quality of image offered by the IMX335 sensor and its good quality lens.

Quad HD Video with Sony Starvis:
Day 1440p 30FPS H264 encoding:

Day 2160p 24FPS H265 encoding:
Download original Viofo A119 V3 day H264 and original H265

Night 1440p 30FPS H264 encoding:

Night 1440p 30FPS H265 encoding:

Download original Viofo A119 V3 Night H264 and original H265

My first video comparison was made to see the differences between default setting of 1440p as H264 encoding and 2160p (an interpolated resolution) as H265 encoding. Viofo A119V3

I see no more details when using 2160p compared to 1440p. Maybe the 2160p image is a little more sharp and more bright. In only first snapshot I saw 2160p was better.
1440-1.jpg2160-1.jpg
1440-2.jpg2160-2.jpg
1440-3.jpg2160-3.jpg

First video comparison during night in the city:

More details when using H265 (same resolution, lower bitrate)
H264 night 1.jpgH265 night 1.jpg

Buffered Parking Mode:
Using the Viofo HK3 charger connected to the GPS mount can offer Parking Mode. User is not forced anymore to connect HK3 to camera connector to obtain Parking Mode.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I downloaded the 2160p video and single framed it. It appears to have frames that are repeated. It has effectively dropped frames. Please get this fixed before going to market.

2160 = 24 fps? 

2160 = 24 fps? 
The dropped frames were not evenly spaced.
If this is interpolated, this is a bad idea. That makes the file bigger and requires more processing without any improvement to the picture, in fact it makes it worse.

2160 = 24 fps?
Day 2160p 24FPS H265 encoding:
I downloaded the 2160p video and single framed it. It appears to have frames that are repeated. It has effectively dropped frames. Please get this fixed before going to market.
Also I see some frames are repeated so the real FPS is even lower than 24FPS for 2160p. I am sure Viofo will not declare the camera as 4K like fakers are doing and I expect this 2160p resolution to be like some bonus or only for pre-production samples. So they will advertise it as Quad HD+ not as Ultra HD.

enjoy,
Mtz

Reactions: gse
We didn't declare it for "4K" camera, the default resolution is 1440P.
The 2160P resolution is offered by Novatek officially, it is a hidden resolution in V3, keep this option for someone have interesting to try.

4K looks very choppy. See no reason why anyone would want to use it.

How are you viewing the footage ?

The only real way is to download the RAW file and play it locally.

Reactions: Mtz
I edited first post and added the night tests. I like very much this sensor IMX335 and the lens.

enjoy,
Mtz

This is awesome, thanks a bunch for testing this out.

How are you viewing the footage ?

The only real way is to download the RAW file and play it locally.

No issues playing 4K videos. It's the dropped frames that makes it look choppy.

The 3 wire hardwire kit - I will not use the parking mode, so do I just need to attach the yellow cable into a piggyback fuse holder and the black to ground (so leaving the red wire safely unconnected)?

The 3 wire hardwire kit - I will not use the parking mode, so do I just need to attach the yellow cable into a piggyback fuse holder and the black to ground (so leaving the red wire safely unconnected)?
Connect red and yellow to the same piggyback fuse.

The piggyback fuse tap has one wire holder at one end and the prongs at the other. (Will get it if I can on Thursday).

The Nextbase is on a 7.5 fuse, but is only a 2 wire kit if I remember rightly.. How many can be hardwired safely (to a second 7.5 fuse)?

Do I need 2 of these then, and connect one to the yellow cable into an ACC fuse, and the red cable into a constant fuse (and the black to ground of course)?

I'm sure my Nextbase only has one going to the fusebox but it is 18 months since that one was installed and I can't remember (and it's peeing down tonight so I won't be going into the street to stick my head under the dash! o_O )

Attachments

• fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
2560x1600 and 2560x1400 comparison:

White van pulls out without warning:

Video at 2 top resolutions recorded once it had stopped raining!!!

2560x1600:

2560x1440:

Back