Viofo A119 V3 Review + comparison with V2, Pro, A129

@jokiin
i know there is support for hdr
does this mean we should understand wdr as hdr? then you need to fix the menu in the firmware so that there is no confusion and call it by your name.

@jokiin

does this mean we should understand wdr as hdr? then you need to fix the menu in the firmware so that there is no confusion and call it by your name.

I don't know which method they are using but the sensor supports a few types of HDR

@jokiin
the sensor only supports hdr, even if there are several modes, wdr has nothing to do with this, you need to call things by their proper names. It will be right.

@jokiin
the sensor only supports hdr, even if there are several modes, wdr has nothing to do with this, you need to call things by their proper names. It will be right.
Viofo is not using the HDR available on the sensor, only WDR - a single exposure with a Wide Dynamic Range, squashed into the range of the video file based on the menu setting. I think it is essentially a choice of gamma setting since it never has much effect on the highlights, only the shadows.

So far I've not seen great results from any HDR system, while with the latest sensors, which have a greater dynamic range than the older ones, the WDR can work quite well.

@jokiin
It's not my product so it's not my place to dictate what it should be called

@Nigel
in data(s)hit not about wdr

Last edited:
It's not my product so it's not my place to dictate what it should be called
HDR should be used for multiple exposure frames, WDR for single exposure frames from a sensor that can capture a greater range of light levels than you would normally use for video.

I understand this, but I do not understand how this is done if the matrix does not support vdr. done at the program level? How high is the dynamic range? have data?
data(s)hit no data on the use of wdr imx 335

I understand this, but I do not understand how this is done if the matrix does not support vdr. done at the program level? How high is the dynamic range? have data?
data(s)hit no data on the use of wdr imx 335
The IMX 335 can provide 12 bit image data, H264 stores 8 bit data, WDR is about how those 12 bits are mapped into the 8 bits, a high WDR setting would scale the full 12 bit range into the 8 bits, while a low or off setting would only use part of the 12 bit range resulting in overexposed highlights and black shadows, but a normal looking midrange instead of a very compressed midrange with little detail. This is a job for the firmware, not the sensor, the sensor just has to capture the image data.

With an old IMX322 you need the full range of the sensor to make it look normal, sometimes more than the full range. With an IMX335 you only need part of the range to make it look normal, if you want to include the sun/headlights and the dark shadows at the same time then you can, with an IMX322 you can't, often it doesn't even catch the bright clouds.

@Nigel
that's what I wanted to clarify. means implemented at the software level.

In regards to this being posted here and not the comparison forum, main reason is I ultimately wanted to post my review here but wanted to post updates along the way with what I'm finding.

Probably won't have anything else to post until mid next week. Since it's 4th of July weekend I'm sort of in vacation mode.

Been trying to do other stuff like test bad memory cards because I have a handful of corrupt cards now. So far all 4 of them didn't realize 2 were corrupt and still start recording to the card even tho it's not really saving. One card, only the V3 started beeping and giving an error message. Is there a reason why some corrupt cards aren't detected as corrupt? Is it because there are different types of card failures that cams detect differently?

If the device state it is faulty or even notice it is faulty depends heavily on what is corrupt about the SD-card. If it a physical fault it is possible that to the device it may appear fine i.e SD-card states 64GB but really only 8GB. (That is how the fake card makers work.) Formatting etc problems are more likely to be spotted and repaired easily. Whilst others are dead as a door nail and destined for the bin sometimes for no apparent reason.

Back