Viofo A129 Duo Non-IR Image Quality

CaptnEric

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
VIOFO A129 DUO, Thinkware F770 1CH & 2CH
I've had my A129 Duo for approximately a month now and have tested it with firmware versions 1.5, 1.8 and now 1.9. I have also installed @BCHobbyist 's modded firmware based on 1.8 and 1.9 with all three sharpness levels...soft, medium and strong between bitrates of 25Mbps - 28Mbsp. Although the Strong Sharpness mod gave me the best quality out of them all, I'm still not 100% happy with the image quality. I'm not too worried about the rear image quality, but I expected the quality from the front lens to at least be able to show road signs and registration plates more clearly from about 20-30 metres away. Especially during the day when it's not raining. When I'm looking at the videos, it looks like the focus is a little blurred or fuzzy around the middle area of the videos. Once I'm behind stationary vehicles their registration plates are crisp and clear...even from the rear camera. Don't know if this is the best this dash cam will do or maybe the lenses are not focused correctly?

How does everyone else, who has this dash cam, find the image quality? Are you happy with it?

I have provided links of videos of both front and rear cams below.
I have the following settings:
Firmware version 1.9 (official)
CPL on front only
Exposure front 0, rear -3
WDR off
Rear window has legal darkest tint (Australia)

Front Footage
Rear Footage

can't download your videos, keeps failing, you're not going to get license plates at 20 to 30 meters though

can't download your videos, keeps failing, you're not going to get license plates at 20 to 30 meters though

Oh ok, I'll try posting the links again. I'd be happy with 10 metres away

EDIT: I was able to download them using the links. But I'll repost it

Last edited:
That's weird

google issue maybe, not sure

Could be. I signed out of Google and clicked the links. I was able to view and download with no issues

Anyway I was hoping someone would advise, after watching the videos, if the footage is acceptable for A129 Duo or I have a focus issue. Just wanted feedback before I contact Viofo support or whether I need to contact them at all

maybe someone else will have better luck downloading your files, have had 4 goes already with no luck

All good...hopefully. Thank you for your help @jokiin, really appreciate it

Saw only the front YT version. Looks normal for the A129.

Ok cool thanks @Harsh
It just looked a little out of focus in the centre for me. The cam lenses, cpl and the windscreen has been cleaned inside out because I thought perhaps there was some dirt making the footage look out of focus

Looks OK to me, the problem is that although BMW left plenty of space for a UK size plate, you go and use only 25% of the space, so the writing is too small, and then you make it grey on dirty white writing so even more difficult to read:

1564046463236.png

You need an A129 Pro 4K version!

With UK plates, Viofo A129 (1080), Viofo A119 V3 (1440), Viofo A129 Pro (4K):
y4mD1Sle3zk-0glh527dp4-elGSlYSM3gtGuYS3rkkjS_6I_O9NwCr5zRg5ghQrvG-Z5SVjHpUjIpF3iobUChNYgR0Tj2B_eNBHRtgkiKVF0LhL_CWY6avGIfTkJMv371ceqPkl9iAompaavDKMrST9ph1qQ9Qt8zHynnSe5iByCblj-3hc6tOtJJRvLn6-_Qh1

Last edited:
Looks OK to me, the problem is that although BMW left plenty of space for a UK size plate, you go and use only 25% of the space, so the writing is too small, and then you make it grey on dirty white writing so even more difficult to read:
that's a big plate, we have some that are smaller than those as well

View attachment 47586

You need an A129 Pro 4K version!

Blame our "cheap as chips" government for that. In the state of Victoria yes we do use plain old dirty white background, but in NSW they use yellow with black writing, which is easier to see. But we Aussies do love everything small lol! Except for our cars :ROFLMAO:

Looks like the A129 Pro 4K is my solution then. Does anybody know when that is due to be released?

When I'm looking at the videos, it looks like the focus is a little blurred or fuzzy around the middle area of the videos.
There is too much sharpening for me to tell if it is out of focus, if it is then it is not enough to affect plate readability, but I would choose less sharpening than that, maybe a different choice of modified firmware would give better readability even if it doesn't look as sharp?

Back