Viofo A129 Pro vs. DAB211

no_hits

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Dash Cam
G90 A7LA70 v1138
Hi, can someone make this comparsion in max resolution - 2160p vs 1440p? Day, Midnight and Night. I think it could be interesting. Thank you.

DAB211 look better in night by videos (car plates are not too overbright), and day is not bad. Even if it has lower resolution. It seems Viofo has higher compression at night (more blured details). But I didn't see a direct comparison both of them together. So that is why I'm thinking that it could be interesting comparsion.

side by side testing is the only way, can't compare videos from different time or place, DAB211 is an old model though, not sure many people actually have them

DAB211 is still newest dash cam by AZDome with Ambarella chip. I saw many videos (maybe all of them) in full resolution on 4K samsung TV with real 100/120Hz diplay panel (all filters and tools off, YT app). Everytime details and sharpness looks better for DAB in night, and many times in day.
So that's why I'm interested in common direct comparsion video.

Came out in 2017, guess they haven't really done much since, their products are lower spec than a lot of others so don't get much love around here

Yeah the AZdome cameras flared up a little in 2017/18, but then fizzed out again never gaining much traction among users on this forum at least.

So can you explain me one thing? Why have 129 pro, Rove Stealth 4K, mio and xiaomi dash cams at nigh more blur and overbright night videos with Sony IMX sensors (f=1.8 or lower), than cheap low-end DAB211 with OV4689 f=1.8 ? I don't need lane and colision assist, Wi-Fi, phone controll, maybe not even GPS, but dash cam with good videos with readable details during day and night.

Problem is, I think, too high compression of data, which is not too much needed with H.265. It seems nobody will do comparsion of this two dash cams :(

I am hoping HDR cameras will make things a bit better for night recordings. the deep fusion stuff on the new fruit phones also seem a little interesting to the geeky side of my brain.
Maybe we can get bracketed video, with the final image made up of 3 or more different frames with each its own exposure settings.

buy both and post your comparison videos ;)
Unfortunately I don't have too much free resources to buy both and test together. That is why I'm asking on dashcam talk forum. I thought somebody will have both of them.

Unfortunately I don't have too much free resources to buy both and test together. That is why I'm asking on dashcam talk forum. I thought somebody will have both of them.
plenty of Viofo A129Pro owners, not much mention of the DAB211 though so slim odds of finding someone with both

I am still using DAB211, love it! As much as I am tempted to have a dash cam with WDR, my "old" DAB211 consistently records better day time video and night time footage under most lighting condition. (I set it to the highest resolution at 30fps)

I am not an "expert" for dash cams but I can tell you image processor is just as important if not more so than the image sensor. Ambarella chip used in DAB211 is not a much talked about chip, however if you take a moment to learn what Ambarella is doing with their product line you will understand why even an "old chip/image processor" coupled with a 4MP image sensor can produce videos equal or better than an ultra hd/4k recorder.

Another area I've noticed with many of the dash cams I played with is that the viewing angle plays a big part at how likely you are at grabbing a video frame with a readable license plate number (at 30fps.... honestly, I don't think changing the recording mode from 60fps for the daytime to 30fps at night is a practical thing to do unless I am on a long trip). I find the smaller the viewing angle the better the "focus", thus more usable frames with readable license plate numbers in the recorded video. I much prefer a 140-150 degrees field of view than 170 degrees. Too bad DAB211 has a 170 degree of viewing angle, granted no fish eye effect due to the Ambarella chip, I still find it difficult to capture plate numbers from fast passing cars.

however if you take a moment to learn what Ambarella is doing with their product line you will understand why even an "old chip/image processor" coupled with a 4MP image sensor can produce videos equal or better than an ultra hd/4k recorder.
The 4K image sensor can produce 2x the detail in adequate lighting. Assuming that all the detail is recorded into the video then there is no way the camera with the 2K image sensor will win.

When it comes to the dark, the old OV4689 in the DAB211 is not particularly good these days, the A129 Pro's image sensor will often do better, although it does depend on what exposure times the processor chooses and what you are trying to record. The IMX335 2K sensor used in the Viofo A119 V3 and upcoming A129 2K version should easily beat the OV4689 in all conditions.
I much prefer a 140-150 degrees field of view than 170 degrees. Too bad DAB211 has a 170 degree of viewing angle
Different people have different preferences, but the Viofo A119 V3 has a narrower viewing angle than most, which you would probably like. Don't trust any of these viewing angle numbers to be correct though, different companies measure them in different ways, or sometimes make them up. Is it the lens view or the sensor view? Is it horizontal/vertical/diagonal?

Back